PDA

View Full Version : Deck Railing Baluster Dilemna

artitech
2005-09-02, 03:24 PM
I haven't played around alot with custom railings so there may be an obvious answer to this question....

I am trying to create a handrail on an outdoor deck that has three horizontal rails and vertical posts at a specified spacing that connect to the deck and then it has balusters that are equally spaced between the posts. The balusters don't actually touch the deck nor do they touch the top rail, see attempted rail attached.

What I have managed to do is get the posts spacing equally, but I only get "one" baluster after each post, the balusters aren't repeating at my set spacing...

Any suggestions?

artitech
2005-09-02, 03:28 PM
.... in addition....

These are my current settings for the baluster properties....attached.

truevis
2005-09-02, 04:12 PM
Perhaps the classic railing samples (http://revit.autodesk.com/library/Library/Revit%20Samples/Revit%20Samples/Railing%20Samples.rvt) project will help you. It's usually easier to start with something close, then change it, than to make it from scratch.

artitech
2005-09-02, 08:10 PM
Thanks truevis, I downloaded the sample (had to install Revit 8.1 to open it...) and found a sample that helped me out.

The one thing that I am still wondering, the vertical balusters that repeat every 200mm (in my example) between posts, I had to add each of them in my railing properties. I was hoping (wondering) if there is a way that you can just have the rail routine calculate the number of balusters to place between posts based on a maximum spacing?

Attached is what I was after and how I achieved it.

rod.74246
2005-09-04, 08:39 AM
The important thing to remember with railings is that you are setting a "pattern" for the balusters and then repeating this pattern if this makes sense. So essentially if you want one baluster offset from the previous ones at 200mm then you have to set distance from previous at 200 and offset at 0 but only have one repeating baluster

beegee
2005-09-06, 03:34 AM
I often use two railing families to get the result I want.

The attached image shows a simple pattern repeat family containing top and bottom rails and balusters at 200 oc, spread to fit. A second railing family overlays this. It contains a top rail and a central baluster with its bottom hosted by base.

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-09-06, 08:06 AM
Beegee why lay over?
Here's a railing for you to play around with, achieved without overlaying, it's all in one type.