PDA

View Full Version : Some flaws with rvt file linking

david.kingham
2005-09-02, 03:42 PM
I have my structure in a seperate file in preperation for usage with revit structure with consultants...a couple small issues i have ran into...

Since the floor slabs are in a seperate file, when I create an interior elevation on the second floor it does not snap to the floor, it goes ceiling to ceiling, big PITA to resize each one when you have hundreds of elevations

When you create an area plan it shuts off the floors so you can see the color fill...but it does not turn off the floors in the linked file....took a lot of bashing my head against the wall to figure out why the color fill wasn't showing

There was more but my brain is failing me...anyone have anything to add to the list?

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-02, 03:49 PM
Fwiw, the intended workflow is to send them the entire building, not just the structure. Might work better if you did? This way the parts remain together.

david.kingham
2005-09-02, 03:51 PM
Right now the consultants are not using revit, I simply put all the structure in a seperate file so I can learn the new features and find these bugs

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-02, 04:00 PM
...find these bugs...Just to be picky...bugs are things that don't work they way the programmers intended. As far as I know the linking works the way it is intended to work. Not necessarily how we'd like it to work but for now that's how it is.

david.kingham
2005-09-02, 04:19 PM
Umm I would think the factory would agree that they are bugs, things should work the same with cross disciplines using the same software if they expect it to be a success......anywho! that's not the point. I'm just bringing up issues to make the software better! You're way too picky today Steve lmao :)

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-02, 05:42 PM
Picky...said I was...;-) My point is linking has always been limited, only recently have they been expanding on what linking can achieve. There is a difference between between broken and not being designed to do something. To whip out a weak car analogy, my car doesn't fly...so it is a "bug" because I want it to. The engineers might take except to that characterization and call me crazy to boot...:smile: .

Not much difference to me and you perhaps because it doesn't work how we think it should. From a code and programmers perspective it isn't a bug, unless they said we are supposed to be able to do it and it doesn't...just making the distinction. I prefer to use the word "bug" only for things that don't work the way the programmer wrote the code or advertised.

Last I'm not taking issue with your request, it's perfectly valid...just being hypersensitive about a little three letter word! ;-) I'll let go now...