PDA

View Full Version : Default to 8.1 when double-clicking an RVT file

J. Grouchy
2005-09-02, 08:47 PM
I can't seem to get Revit 8.1 to be the default for opening RVT files. I've tried setting it throught the "file types" dialog in Windows, but it seems to revert to Revit 8 instead of going to 8.1.
Solution?

E-Key
2005-09-02, 09:00 PM
Windows opens file in last started Revit version. Lunch Revit 8.1. It may be the second copy of lunched Revit 8.1. You can close this second window. After that all RVT files will be opened in Revit 8.1

J. Grouchy
2005-09-02, 09:06 PM
Windows opens file in last started Revit version. Lunch Revit 8.1. It may be the second copy of lunched Revit 8.1. You can close this second window. After that all RVT files will be opened in Revit 8.1
Not sure I understand...do you mean double-click a file when I already have 8.1 open? I tried that and it worked while 8.1 was open, but when I close Revit afterwards then double-click the file again it opens in 8.

tatjana.dzambazova
2005-09-02, 09:21 PM
according to my understanding, Revit opens by default with the version that you have installed LAST.
if you first installed 8.1 and after that you installed 8 (from whatever reasons) then doubleclick will always start 8.
Try installing 8.1 again and try it out.
let me know if it worked for you
tanja

J. Grouchy
2005-09-02, 09:23 PM
8.1 was installed last...but it was from a network deployment link and not a downloaded file. could that be the reason?

gibson.tim91884
2005-09-02, 09:25 PM
I've run into this a few times lately, and ekurbatov's solution doesn't work for me. I had to right-click on a Revit file and use Open With..., then browse to the correct version of Revit and set the Always Use flag to get it to open with the right version. When I did this after installing Revit Structure, it worked with one try, but when I did it during the 8-8.2 upgrade I had to do it twice to make it stick. Not sure why, to be honest.

E-Key
2005-09-02, 09:45 PM
I thought your question was about already lunched Revit.
Now I hope I understand what do you mean.
Try to do so:
1. In Windows Explorer window go to menu Tools->Folders Options->File Types
2. Find RVT file type and press Advanced button
3. In window Edit File Type press New button
4. In New Action window in field Action type "Open with Revit 8.1"
5. Press Browse button and find Revit 8.1 EXE file
6. At the end of string of Revit.exe file path add space and "%1" (with commas!)
It must look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Building 8.1\Program\Revit.exe" "%1"
6. Press OK button of New Action window.
7. In window Edit File Type select in list Item "Open with Revit 8.1" and press "Set default" button.
8. Press OK
9. Press Close
10. Enjoy!

Also you can open RVT file in previous Revit version by right clicking on file in Windows Explorer and choosing "Open" string in menu.

J. Grouchy
2005-09-07, 01:17 PM
Works great...thank you!

Batman
2005-10-16, 02:19 AM
Also have to repeat the process for other revit related file extensions rft, rfa & rte.

When you launch Revit diectly from a RVT file is there a way to have Revit Maximise on open?