PDA

View Full Version : Why Default Sill Height?

Henry D
2004-02-11, 09:37 PM
Why do all the window families use default sill height... why not default head height? In the spirit of modelling like it's built, the height of the window placement should be determined as in standard building practice by head height. Each time I change the height size of a window, the head height changes and I have to adjust it so that it aligns with the rest of my windows. This wouldn't happen if windows were set by a head height default.

beegee
2004-02-11, 09:51 PM
Totally agree ... and has been commented on before.

We need a volunteer to go through all the window families and fix this ....

Steve_Stafford
2004-02-11, 09:55 PM
Very kind of you to offer BeeGee, you are very generous :twisted:

gregcashen
2004-02-11, 10:54 PM
I also volunteer beegee for this job. Thanks!

Scott D Davis
2004-02-11, 11:58 PM
One less post a day, substituted for one converted window family....thanks beegee!

Steve_Stafford
2004-02-12, 12:24 AM
I hear a witty "come back" brewing from "Uncle Willy"...otherwise, we've rendered ole BeeGee speechless.... :twisted: :shock:

beegee
2004-02-12, 12:50 AM
Old army saying .. " He who calls for volunteers is automatically excluded from participation ."

"Old Zoog forum saying..."boulderdash" Q

shaunv68276
2004-02-12, 05:56 AM
The Cill height thing frustrated me to no end so I redid them all a while back. "Show me the money". Where can I leave the metric windows for the rest of you?

beegee
2004-02-12, 06:02 AM
Wow, thanks Shaun ( saved my bacon... )

Do you have an FTP site or Buzzsaw account ?

How big are the files ?

shaunv68276
2004-02-12, 06:59 AM
3.2mb Trying to organise our web guys who are currently in a redesign process! Which could take a few days, any other ideas?

Nic M.
2004-02-12, 07:51 AM
Can one of you explain what is involved to change this in the family?

beegee
2004-02-12, 07:54 AM
3.2mb Trying to organise our web guys who are currently in a redesign process! Which could take a few days, any other ideas?

Well, maybe RUGI ? (special section so they don't get mixed in with other window content maybe ? ... too hard ! )
or else 'Revit Community Customer Files" NG. ?

I'll see if theres any other possibilities.

Nickdp
2004-02-12, 09:42 AM
Beegee and Shaun,

You could use Yahoo briefcase, if you don't have one go to your local Yahoo website (for us it is http://au.briefcase.yahoo.com/) and register to get 30mb of online storage, upload the file(s), then anybody who wants to download asks you for the login name and password (provided you're willing to share), or you post the details here.

We regularly use this free method of allowing consultants to d/l latest dwgs/pdf/whatever to avoid striking trouble with 2mb mail box limits (some still use dial up sheeesh).

shaunv68276
2004-02-12, 11:11 AM
Download from

http://www.cadplan.co.za/downloads/windows.zip

shaunv68276
2004-02-12, 11:16 AM
Oh by the way the windows were done for R6

beegee
2004-02-12, 09:20 PM
Awesome ... thanks a bunch, Shaun.

beegee
2004-02-12, 09:21 PM
You could use Yahoo briefcase, if you don't have one go to your local Yahoo website (for us it is http://au.briefcase.yahoo.com/) and register to get 30mb of online storage, upload the file(s), then anybody who wants to download asks you for the login name and password (provided you're willing to share), or you post the details here.

We regularly use this free method of allowing consultants to d/l latest dwgs/pdf/whatever to avoid striking trouble with 2mb mail box limits (some still use dial up sheeesh).

Thats a useful tip Nick.
I'll use that in future for something.

noah
2005-03-01, 10:40 PM
I just downloaded these windows but I'm missing something. When I insert one of these I have an instance head height that controls the head height but the family has a type head height that doesn't change the actual head height. Where did the instance one come from and how can I get rid of it? I want to use the type head height for shcedules.

noah
2005-03-01, 10:44 PM
If I make the type parameter in the family an instance parameter (which is should be) and then insert the window into my project I have duplicate head height instance parameters. One controls the height and the other does nothing. The one that was there to begin with controls and the one from the family does nothing. What am I missing?

aaronrumple
2005-03-01, 11:19 PM
I don't think the factory has done a good job explaining this. They've put some magic dust in the window templates.

The default sill height should be left. Don't worry about the default head height. The default head height parameter will magically appear as soon as your window is in the project. It will be calculated based on your height parameter and your default sill height parameter.

You'll be able to adjust either the sill height or head height in the project and the related sill or head parameter will update.

If you add a new parameter called head height - you'll end up with two head height parameters in the project. The system parameter. And your user parameter.

Another bit of magic dust is added into the mystical sill height and head height parameters. These two system parameters are scheduable. Unless you made your new user default head height a shared parameter, you won't be able to schedule the added head height parameter - which gets really confusing.

The only way I know to have a head height instead of a sill height in the family without ending up with two head height parameters is to start with a wall hosted generic family and turn it into a window family. Don't add in a sill height parameter - just a head height parameter. Upon loading the family into the project Revit will add in a sill height parameter automatically. Both sill and head height should now be scheduable.

Hope that helps clear a few things up....

noah
2005-03-01, 11:46 PM
Thanks Aaron that helps a lot! I also final found some reference to this issue on the forum by doing a search on "system parameters". Funny because a search on "head height" didn't yield what I was looking for and I didn't even know what a system parameter was (until I googled "revit head height"). So, you're right the factory needs betters docs on this.

I posted a related question about nesting two windows on top of each (awning over fixed). How can I get these to grow in height using type parameters without errors AND maintain the right head height values for the top of the mulled units?

Thanks again!

noah
2005-03-02, 12:05 AM
Ok I figured it out on my own for once :) I made a combo awning over fixed nested family, my first functioning nest with calculations and aluminum clad totally from scratch! See attached.

The key is to use the default sill height, height and width parameters in the family unchanged. I removed the opening and loaded a fixed window and an awning. I set the width of each unit to equal the family's width. I aligned and locked the lower window to the sill and the upper window to the head. At this point the windows overlapped each other and I kept trying to align and lock the mull together but that doesn't work. What I then did instead was set the height of the lower window to a new parameter called "Fixed Height". And I set the upper window height to a new parameter called awning height.

Finally, in the family types I set the Awning Height to = Height-Fixed Height (I think it's case sensitive). I flexed the model by just altering the Fixed Height and the mull stayed together and the awning adjusted appropriately! Yeah!

When inserted into a project the head height was accurate.

adegnan
2005-03-09, 03:28 AM
Great work Noah. You have good logic on all your recent posts. I have not yet bothered to fix some of my Andersen window families but this post is the answer, as some other people will stumble across this, and it is more succinct than my trial-and-error (same thing you went through)! :) I have to look at your family in detail and see how you did the exterior cladding. Does this family feel lightweight to you, compared to the Andersen stuff?

noah
2005-03-09, 12:54 PM
It feels very lightweight. I made them basically the same as the standard revit windows. The only differences are that I have a double frame (an inside extrusion that is 1 1/4" and an exterior one that is 3/4"). This allows me to apply a different material to each frame. I also discoverd that I can use the paint bucket to paint just the exterior face of my sashes with a clad material. It isn't perfect but I think my renderings look very good (a double sash might be even more realistic). I probably don't need the double frame now and can just use the paint bucket on the appropriate exterior faces of the frame.

I'm nesting trim and muntin bars on the fly and most likely only within the project rather than in a nested family.

My nested awning over fixed is working really well so far. I still need to make my doubles and triples for casements and double hungs but now that I know how to do it using nesting and a little math (e.g. each unit width = RO/3, one aligned left, one right, and one center). I will probably just make them when I need them and let my library grow.

Steve_Stafford
2005-03-10, 08:22 AM
Nice effort and thanks for sharing your work!

While I was snooping I noticed that nested awning window's width isn't linked to the host family's width parameter. If you flex it the fixed window will change properly but the awning above won't. But then you've probably realized it since you posted and fixed it?

noah
2005-03-10, 12:24 PM
Thanks Steve. It's nice to feel like I'm starting to contribute rather than just newbie complaining.