PDA

View Full Version : Pad Tool

gregcashen
2004-02-11, 11:07 PM
I am curious what others are doing with the pad tool. Do you even use it at all? Every time I start a new project I am torn between making the bottom slab a pad or a floor. To me, it should be a floor, and that way it will also join with walls, footings, etc. But then it doesn't cut the toposurface down, so you can get topo showing through the floors. I end up grading around the building, but the pad tool seems to be the tool to use for that.

Does anyone else think it would be worthwhile to just create a floor type called "pad" that cut the topo by default? In fact, I can't think of why I WOULD NOT want a floor to cut the surface.

Scott D Davis
2004-02-11, 11:28 PM
The graded "pad" may extend beyond the footprint of the building at times.

gregcashen
2004-02-11, 11:30 PM
So you use this to grade out a region as opposed to using the graded region tool, which can be scheduled to provide cut/fill volumes?

Chad Smith
2004-02-11, 11:31 PM
I'm with you Greg, I prefer to use 'Floor' objects.

My understanding of the term 'Pad' is a level plane of dirt upon which a slab can be placed.
Therefore, I would like to see the pad tool NOT add a slab, but rather cut the topo and raise or lower it to a set height.

Sequence of events:

1. Add Topo
2. Use the pad tool to set the height of topo where the slab will be placed
3. Add a Floor slab

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-02-11, 11:34 PM
More often than not I use the pad tool to define the extent of my excavation. When teaching others about Revit that is generally the metaphor I use to describe it. If it occurs below a slab on grade I set it up so it represents the compacted fill just below the slab and create a pad type with properties that display it that way.

Scott D Davis
2004-02-12, 12:00 AM
So you use this to grade out a region as opposed to using the graded region tool, which can be scheduled to provide cut/fill volumes?

hmmmm....no sir, you are right! pad tool no good for grading! :shock:

Kirky
2004-02-12, 12:09 AM
I tend to use sometimes both (pad and floor) and just reduce the thickness of the pad so that it not significant in section etc. I agree it make sense to give a pad the same properties/abilities as per a floor. maybe even also grade edge option within (a bit like roof angle)

hand471037
2004-02-12, 12:35 AM
I always use the pad when doing residential work; but I also use a floor slab. I think of the pad as the prep'ed dirt and/or gravel underlayment that my floor slab will be poured over.

beegee
2004-02-12, 12:38 AM
My understanding of the term 'Pad' is a level plane of dirt upon which a slab can be placed.
Therefore, I would like to see the pad tool NOT add a slab, but rather cut the topo and raise or lower it to a set height.

Sequence of events:

1. Add Topo
2. Use the pad tool to set the height of topo where the slab will be placed
3. Add a Floor slab

I'm with Chad. This is way it should work.

Steve_Stafford
2004-02-12, 12:42 AM
I follow the same process Chad describes...except I just make the Pad "paper" thin...then it has no impact on my sections etc except to cut away the topo as desired. Then I put the floor in...

FWIW, (I can use that cause PeterJ is on "Walkabout" :D ) You could make it (pad) represent the compacted gravel or crushed stone beneath the slab too...

gregcashen
2004-02-12, 01:09 AM
Cool. That's what I needed. Thanks all of you.