PDA

View Full Version : Wall Sweeps and curved walls - Release 6

Steve_Stafford
2004-02-12, 01:01 AM
Okay...I'm looking for support here...simple test...Release 6...newest build

Draw a curved wall using any method you choose...use a large radius, say 360 ft. Then add a couple horizontal sweeps, good so far. Now change the length of the curve till it is about 11 degrees "wide"...still okay, now try to make it smaller...ouch, Revit objects! No sweep for YOU!

If you try a different radius you get a different arc "width" that will ultimately fail so it appears to be some ratio between arc length and radius that Revit really can't face when a wall is swept. Happens with walls that you put a sweep on or walls that have an integral sweep in the style.

If you get the same behavior, please inundate support with your calls I need this to work lickety split!! :D

Scott D Davis
2004-02-12, 01:10 AM
Mine fails at 10.805°, and succeeds at 10.806°. See attached....very strange error dialog box, too!

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1456

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1457

tamas
2004-02-12, 01:34 AM
You caught me Steve. :oops:
This is a known bug for relatively short horizontal sweeps on arc walls of large radius. We incorrectly compute the shortest allowed sweep in this case. Already fixed for 6.1. The only workaround is to replace the wall with straight wall segments.

Sorry.

Tamas

PS: Looks like people are trying to design larger buildings with Revit now...

Steve_Stafford
2004-02-12, 01:40 AM
Thanks for confirming, can't you just give me a shot or something? I really need this working now... :(

I'll try some straight segments first but I'll probably have to use some filled regions on the elevation view I guess... :cry: :(

No Valentine's Card for you... :twisted:

tamas
2004-02-12, 01:58 AM
Ok, you could use in-place family sweeps if the arc is really important. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

No card... :(

shaunv68276
2004-02-12, 05:42 AM
Why draw it so big when you need it smaller?? :? If you draw at at less than 11deg the sweep still works. I see the problem when trying to reduce the arc, but if you redraw to the smaller length and then add sweeps, it seems fine

Steve_Stafford
2004-02-12, 05:46 AM
It really doesn't matter whether I draw it big or small, it will crash as soon as the radius and the length reach that magic zone. I just drew it big in the example I gave, for contrast...

Any curved segment will refuse to allow sweeps if you make it short enough. In my case I need a curved wall with a radius of 361 ft. and the wall isn't very long, only about 40ish ft. and that's too short to work until we get the next release per Tamas post.

shaunv68276
2004-02-12, 07:10 AM
I sincerely apologise steve. I now see the issue. I eventually changed my units to imperial to retry according to your dims cause' I have no clue how you guys measure things (exept mine is at least 12 feet long or is that inches). :shock:

Steve_Stafford
2004-02-12, 04:07 PM
Okay Tamas, you're off the hook for now...Card is in the mail, it's going to be late now... :D

In-place family swept along wall will suffice for now, though definitely not as "fast". I used the structural framing family type so I could adjust the elevation.

Wes Macaulay
2004-02-13, 01:13 AM
Already fixed for 6.1.
Woo-hoo! He said 6.1!

FK
2004-02-13, 02:39 AM
In an unforgivable Freudian slip one Autodesk employee confirms that development of Revit is, indeed, going forward.