PDA

View Full Version : Saving Groups

janunson
2005-09-08, 12:57 PM
I have a multi-unit housing project, and i'm trying to do the following:

1. I have 1 rvt file that i build units in, group and save out.
2. i have multiple building rvt files where i assemble the groups in to buildings.
3. I have 1 site file where i link the buildings in and place them around the site.

after my last revision to the unit, i cannot save the group out anymore. it says "Cannot save group of this type"

Anyone know what happened? Did i include something 'bad' in the group? There are no subgroups. i can't find any documentation on this function and am confused by the crypic, optionless error message.

Rols
2005-09-08, 01:39 PM
Did you add a component that is hosted by something outside the group? Revit gets very confused when it trys to group something that is hosted by something outside of the group. We ran into a problem when we had wall hosted components placed on demising walls.
We use a similar system for multi-unit housing. We've had to re-create a number of components that were originally wall hosted such as cabinets, toilets and bath tubs and change them to be floor-hosted.

janunson
2005-09-08, 02:53 PM
Nope, each group is fully self contained, separated in space from anything not in the group, there are no model elements even touching the group that are not a part of it.

In the attached screenshot, each yellow block covers a separate group.

janunson
2005-09-12, 02:43 PM
FWIW - problem was file corruption, fixed in conjunction w/ support request. solution:

Mirror the whole file (without copy) repeatedly until no error messages are displayed (removing constraints)

Still never got the group to load into another file after exporting successfully, though. Ended up doing multiple copies of a linked rvt files instead. PITA.