PDA

View Full Version : Linking dwg files

gj
2004-02-13, 06:41 AM
We are working on a major project with worksets.
We intend to link 2D details to Section views cut from model to maintain
coordination between drawings (not enough Revit seats to go around).
When I try to link dwg files to certain views, the dwg file
is unsnappable, (if that is a word), and yet in other views is OK.
I notice if I adjust the Far Clip Offset in close,the dwg file disappears altogether.

Any clues ?

beegee
2004-02-13, 07:06 AM
When you import the dwg, are you using Current View Only checked in check box ?

Try deleting the dwg and reimport it.

gj
2004-02-15, 11:05 PM
Yep. (Do have 'current view only' checked).
Have deleted and reimported with no success.

hand471037
2004-02-15, 11:36 PM
Check your DWG files, make certain they are flat, and that the AutoCAD lines have no 'thickness' (in the Z-axis, that stupid age-old way of modeling something in AutoCAD). If I had to snap to something that I was importing into Revit, and if it was having problems, I would first run the 'flatten' express tool, then the 'overkill' tool to clean up the drawing, and then finally would select all the lines, arcs, circles, and polylines (all things that could have a possible Z-thickness) and set them all to zero. This fixed whatever problems I was having almost every time.

This might have to do with problems with the legacy data you've got not being very good (i.e. improper 3D info, overlapping vectors, and worse). in 2D AutoCAD-land, this wasn't an issue, but now in Revit-land it comes into effect.

JamesVan
2004-02-16, 03:46 PM
Here's a thought. Because the DWG is being imported into the current view only, it is placed on that view's workset. If the view is not editable, you may not be able to select it if the Editable Only option is checked.

6.0 is crafty in that you can add stuff to a view workset without being prompted to make the view workset editable.

gj
2004-02-18, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Have checked that all data is on the same 2D plane.
Have made sure View Workset is editable.

Still no cigar.

By the way, linked files perform OK in Drafting Views (if that offers a clue.)

aggockel50321
2004-02-18, 12:41 PM
I think your problem might be you're trying to import it into a section (vertical) view. I don't know if this is possible.

A workarond might be to export the section view to a .dwg, then import both the revit generated section view & your acad detail view on to a drafting sheet.

gnl
2004-02-18, 03:58 PM
Are you sure the origin in your dwg drawings is not too far away from where the details are drawn in model space? I know that might cause some issues....

gj
2004-02-19, 01:22 AM
Re
[I think your problem might be you're trying to import it into a section (vertical) view. I don't know if this is possible.

A workarond might be to export the section view to a .dwg, then import both the revit generated section view & your acad detail view on to a drafting sheet.]

I've done this previously with this file and with any new Revit file no worries. The idea being that non Revit users can happily be doing 1:20 sections in Autocad which can be linked to Revit into a section view. The Display model parameter can be toggled on and off for coordination with model (eg checking grid & datum) or model/annotation categories adjusted so the Revit grids/datums are the only Revit generated graphics visible in view. It just seems a logical way to coordinate external Cad data with Revit model.

Re

[Are you sure the origin in your dwg drawings is not too far away from where the details are drawn in model space? I know that might cause some issues....]

I'm 'Manually placing' with 'Cursor at centre' so origin shouldn't be an issue should it ?
[/quote]