PDA

View Full Version : Spanish tile ridge

jwilhelm
2005-09-12, 03:25 AM
how are people handeling ridges on a tile roof, any one come up with a way to model it?

beegee
2005-09-12, 05:49 AM
Kyle came up with this method...

>>>>>>How do you do roofing ridge tiles?

Without modeling (as in MAX/VIZ), there is only one way that I've found - (and I actually did this today!!)

Create another roof fascia profile with a 3-inch radius half-cicle.
Center the circle at the insertion point.
The circle should be in the 'up' position (not sideways as typical fascia are drawn).
Import and assign this profile to another fascia family.
Assign the same roof tile material to this fascia family.
in 3D mode, add Host Sweep> Roof Fascia, and select your hip and ridge lines of your roof.
This isn't perfect, but it goes a ways to help with the illusion. >>>

sbrown
2005-09-12, 01:33 PM
If you want to get really fancy, you need to make a single tile family, (make sure that always verticle isn't checked), load that into a second family where you array it, again making in not always vertical, then create a third family with a sloped ref plane with an angle parameter, load your family into it using the ref/.plane as the workplane for the family, now you will have a tile you can control the slope of and the quantity(note you have to place the array parameters in the 2nd two families.

ajayholland
2005-09-13, 02:48 AM
Once upon a time, there were some ridge tile familes on RUGI, although not as elaborate as Scott has described. Someone must have copies.

~AJH

jwilhelm
2005-09-14, 12:42 AM
Scott,
could you elaborate a little on this method,
what do you mean by "always vertical", also what type of familys are the 3 familys?
generic? roof based? what for each family?

sbrown
2005-09-14, 01:04 PM
Generic model, non roof based, Under family category and settings there is a check box for allways vertical and workplane based. I'll see if I can dig up the suppport request that revit responded to with the solution.

sbrown
2005-09-14, 01:13 PM
Here is the solution

Dear Scott Brown, Thank you for choosing Autodesk Subscription. Here is the recommended resolution to your Support Request: Our software engineer did take a look on your files. Here is a workaround for the two emails that you've sent us about the arraying tiles issue:

Make a new workplane-based family "tile row.rfa"
Load "Roofing tile.rfa" into it.
Place an instance of "Roofing tile.rfa" in "tile row.rfa" horizontally
array it with option "move to 2nd".
Align the first array instance to the center(front/back) ref plane; dimension the 2nd array instance to the center(front/back) ref plane; lock.
Make the array count an instance parameter NTiles.
Save "tile row.rfa".

Make new family "ridge.rfa" (not workplane-based, always vertical).
Make a reference line in Front view
align its pivot end to the vertical and horizontal ref planes.
Add an angular dimension for the ref line
label it with an instance parameter.
Select the slanted plane of the ref line as the work plane.
Load "tile row.rfa" into "ridge.rfa"; place it on the work plane.
Align the end reference of the "tile row" instance to the pivot end of the ref line.
Add an instance integer parameter NTiles in "ridge.rfa".
Open properties of the "tile row" instance and link its NTiles parameter to the NTiles parameter of "ridge".
Save "ridge.rfa".
Now you can place "ridge.rfa" in a project and control its slope angle and number of tiles through its ...

Max Lloyd
2005-09-14, 02:10 PM
The ideal would be to be able to pick the hip or ridge and it just build it for you. It should be possible as it would know the length and the angle. Then a formula would be set up for how many tiles are required. Something like 'number of tiles=distance/200' (assuming the number of tiles to be an array, the tile is nested and somehow, distance equals the known distance for the hip or ridge) (200 equals 200mm btw for you imperial guys out there!)

Should be possible?

jwilhelm
2005-09-14, 05:13 PM
thanks scott, sounds complicated but I will give it a shot, appreciate the feedback

Sweetshelby
2005-11-16, 03:07 PM
...Here is the solution: Autodesk Subscription Dear Scott Brown, Thank you for choosing Autodesk Subscription. Here is the recommended resolution ...

Did you ever try this, but make it roof based, so the tile angle will change if the roof angle changes? Also when I took a look at your files the second tile in the array moves to the side for some reason though the others after it do not? Weird? We are just trying to figure out what is the fastest way to get our elevations to look good and to also be sensible about if things might change in the future.

Thanks for any help you can give