PDA

View Full Version : RS Tutorial Question

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-13, 02:44 AM
I was surprised to find no tutorial for building a structural framing family in the tutorials supplied with RS. There is a tutorial for creating profiles, even a railing family...but none for beams or complex beams. Would any agree that this seems odd?

Tom Weir
2005-09-14, 07:48 PM
Hi Steve,
The tutorials are more essentials lessons most likely. Creating families is a more advanced subject though a very important one and fundamental to Revit. The tutorials just get you going...

We also did not include any family creation lessons in the 30 lessons for the AOTC courseware for Revit Structure, which are geared toward basic essentials. Hopefully next year we will add a lesson of that type in the more advanced lessons.

What sorts of structural framing families would you envision or like to see in such a lesson?

Tom Weir
Los angeles

david_peterson
2005-09-14, 09:06 PM
As a suggestion, composite beam framing is one I can think of off the top of my head.
I'm new to the idea of families, but that's one that could help.

Tom Weir
2005-09-15, 02:14 PM
David,
So what would the family consist of in that case? A beam and shear studs arranged on its top flange?
One I was thinking about would have a girder with a channel stiffener on the top or bottom flange, or both.

Tom

david_peterson
2005-09-15, 04:54 PM
I'm just guessing.

I'd like to see all the info that can be stored in a Risa model, and E-tabs model and a Ram model (Future) to be able to be dumped into Revit. I'm guessing that you would need to create different "families" (I'd call them styles as I'm more of and ADT guy at the moment) for different types of beams and beam designs/loading so that you can then turn around and send your Risa model (which is more suitable (from my understanding) for Lateral brace frame design) to Revit, update your model, send it to Ram (again thinking near future) to design your gravity framing and composite slab design (which is easier to do in Ram from my understanding), Again it may need different families for the parts and pieces. After that you could then turn around and send that info to E-tabs or Safe or something to do a Mat Footing design, send it back to Revit to create your final plan with all your eggs in one basket.
That's the kind of thing I'm thinking about.
Ask yourself this question 'How much time do you spend recreating the same analytical model in different programs, because you can't transfer data from one to the other.
Anyone there's my 2 cents from a rookie standpoint.
I guess I'm not sure what families are supposed to be used for.