PDA

View Full Version : Continuous 8.1 (new build) ERROR!?

Les Therrien
2005-09-13, 02:59 PM
Since I upgraded to the new build, I keep getting this error. It says:

Error - cannot be ignored
A serious error has occured. It is strongly recommended that you use Save As to save your work in a new file before continuing.

Now I'm not doing anything specific and it happens at different times!? It's been happening in 3 different projects that were all started in 8.1
It's happened when loading an archtop window, rotating a floor plan on a sheet, adding a sweep to a wall!?

Is this a bug? Has anyone else had issues?

rhys
2005-09-13, 04:12 PM
That sounds like the old days of v6 !! Are you using work sets if so the audit option may be worth looking at.

Les Therrien
2005-09-13, 04:57 PM
I'm a one man show and don't use worksets.

Ironically, I never had those problems with 6.0 or 6.1!
I just recently upgraded from 6.1. I never had the time to do it!
I wish I didn't wait so long. 8.1 rocks!!!

I just used a previously saved file, re-did what I was doing in the corrupt file. So far there's no problems!? Strange!!

gibson.tim91884
2005-09-13, 05:17 PM
Have you tried looking in the journal file to see if there is any usable information? I was having a similar problem a while back (in 8.0) and looking through the journal file I noticed that the error occurred when Revit was rendering my railings. I ended up deleting all railings of the offensive style and rebuilt the family. No problems since!

Les Therrien
2005-09-13, 05:20 PM
No I hadn't. I should try that. Thanks.

jpolding
2005-09-13, 06:09 PM
Have you tried looking in the journal file to see if there is any usable information? I was having a similar problem a while back (in 8.0) and looking through the journal file I noticed that the error occurred when Revit was rendering my railings. I ended up deleting all railings of the offensive style and rebuilt the family. No problems since!
I had the same problem going from the 8 beta to 8. There were railings that offended the new revit. I've noticed the suggestion to check the audit option before opening old files.

Les Therrien
2005-09-13, 06:15 PM
I did try an audit on it, but got the same Error.

jpolding
2005-09-13, 06:22 PM
I should have added that I sent the file to revit support and they found the offending objects. They then told me which ones to 'select by ID' and delete.

Les-I could stare at your avatar for hours!

BWG
2005-09-13, 06:23 PM
I was having this trouble too, then I unchecked overlay planes and open gl in the grahics section of settings and the crashes have stopped for now.

Les Therrien
2005-09-13, 06:25 PM
Les-I could stare at your avatar for hours!

You are getting very sleepy!
You must send me lots of money!!!

cphubb
2005-09-13, 10:10 PM
We are also having a problem with 8.1. Apparently offsetting certain objects multiple times results in a serious crash. :veryevil: No error no reporting just back to desktop. Sent the file to support and told this is a bug wait until next release (build) I don't know. Makes site plans really impossible due to non-parallel lines and all of the offsets required. Watch out for the offsets I guess it only happens to lines that are tangential to each other or something like that, something to do with the snaps.

Les Therrien
2005-09-13, 11:21 PM
It keeps happening to me for the dumbest reasons.
The latest time I received the error, was when I was trying to open up a floor plan view.
I "X' out then try again and it's fine!?!?

Mr Spot
2005-09-14, 04:36 AM
Yeah i've had it occur before... Thought it was fixed but alas its not. Was mentioned very early on in 8.1...

iru69
2005-09-14, 03:00 PM
I hate to say it, but 8.1, at least to me, seems more buggy then any release I've used going back to 6.1. I've been running into all sorts of mysterious error messages and occassional crashes (haven't lost work yet!) similar to those indicated in a number of recent threads... Maybe the next build will clean them up.

cphubb
2005-09-14, 03:15 PM
The support response from Autodesk to our problem was it will not be fixed until the next point release. Unreal All we want is to be able to offset in our site plan and that causes a crash. Poor quality in my opinion.

Les Therrien
2005-09-14, 03:43 PM
.... or want to open a floor plan!!!
I would say these bugs are way more crucial than some others that we got fixes on!!?

Charles Francis
2005-09-14, 03:45 PM
We are having similar problems. This morning we tried to change the wrapping condition on the Basic Wall: Interior-4-1/2" Partition. We received the serious error message in changing from none to interior. Then received it as well on any other wrapping condition change we tried. Finially made the change by right clicking of the wall name in the browser, selecting duplicate, changing the function in the duplicated wall and then changed the wall to the duplicated version. In the past, prior to the latest downloadable release we were receiving the message when we were relocating walls by changing the dimension and sometimes by just by placing or moving a component. 8.1 seems very buggy. Any ideas?? Seems to be time for a new point release.

Max Lloyd
2005-09-14, 03:55 PM
I never got round to upgrading to 8.1. Seems like I won't now!

Phil Palmer
2005-09-14, 04:30 PM
I've currently got 5 SCREAMING users at me all day having no end of troubles with 8.1. We had our file upgraded by support to 8.1 as all I got was the serious errors everytime I tried.
The file returned STILL with many issues and the users are complaining about performance.
Soemone from EMEA support suggested I go for the 3Gb ram as the central file is over 100Mb in size. Everythiung is taking an age to do.
the thought of me having to tell the company out HIGH SPEC Dell machines are not up to it and I need MORE money to throw at Ram is just out of the question.
I am not a happy 8.1 customer at present :(
NO further feedback now in 2 days from support so I am getting in the neck on a regular basis from the frustrated users.

rhys
2005-09-14, 04:46 PM
Ouch Phil, sounds serious - we have up graded our largest job. It was 68000KB before change to 8.1 went down to 58000KB !! The workset features work well and have improved working over VPN - we haven't had problems yet.

Phil Palmer
2005-09-15, 09:41 AM
Ouch Phil, sounds serious - we have up graded our largest job. It was 68000KB before change to 8.1 went down to 58000KB !! The workset features work well and have improved working over VPN - we haven't had problems yet.
I'm sure its the project file rather than V8.1 thats causing the problems.
The most annoying thing to me is the lack of any ideas or even communication from Support on what I or they could do to improve the situation.
We are talking over 2mins to drag a view onto a sheet
20-30secs to move or place a room tag in a view
30 secs for a view to appear when double clicked in the browser

We are kind of loosing the 'so called' productivity gains with Revit - its a PITA

Les Therrien
2005-09-15, 11:24 AM
I'm surprised that nobody from the factory has chimened in on this thread yet!?

Paul P.
2005-09-15, 12:46 PM
I was about to install it here but I'm not sure now.

Paul.

ilya.bass
2005-09-15, 01:39 PM
I'm sure its the project file rather than V8.1 thats causing the problems.
The most annoying thing to me is the lack of any ideas or even communication from Support on what I or they could do to improve the situation.
We are talking over 2mins to drag a view onto a sheet
20-30secs to move or place a room tag in a view
30 secs for a view to appear when double clicked in the browser

We are kind of loosing the 'so called' productivity gains with Revit - its a PITA

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. There may or may not be some fixes coming - we will need to examine your data to be sure. Have you contacted support already? thank you for your patience - the factory is definitely NOT ignoring you.

ilya.bass
2005-09-15, 01:45 PM
Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. There may or may not be some fixes coming - we will need to examine your data to be sure. Have you contacted support already? thank you for your patience - the factory is definitely NOT ignoring you.

I just saw the post on Page 2 - Support has the data, so it is likely the issues are already being worked on. stay tuned.

Simon.Whitbread
2005-09-20, 09:03 PM
I've currently got 5 SCREAMING users.

With 20 full time users and a further 60 in training / using part time, I think this sounds like I'll hold off for a while. Even reading the 'Known Issues.pdf' on the CD makes me worry.
Problems with OCE - got one of those
Problems with RAID 5 - ditto
Worksets - EVERYONE uses them
Spelchek - Nearly everyone here can't!
All the rest - Seems like this release was a bit premature.
As a practice, we originally had 3 Revit licenses and were able to participate in Beta testing. Since making the decision to upgrade all out AutoCAD LT's and ADT's to Revit Series it seems like we've dropped off the Beta programme and I wonder how many others have.

Simon.Whitbread
2005-09-20, 09:05 PM
...The workset features work well and have improved working over VPN - we haven't had problems yet.

Rhys, our company is currently looking at this, have you any suggestions, recommendations? Be great to know your experiences

Cheers

Simon

rhys
2005-09-21, 12:27 PM
Rhys, our company is currently looking at this, have you any suggestions, recommendations? Be great to know your experiences

Cheers

Simon
We just had our first problem with saving to central, Revit insists we need to have the file manually upgraded by our "service provider" last time we tried that it took over a week, so we've decided to lose a few hours work and make a new central file. We are installing the latest build now, as this is reported to deal with some "workset issues"
As far a VPN is concerned the fastest connection possible is what you need. A typical project file takes at least 20min to load from central and to Save to Central so it works provided the worksets needed are set up well and that a reasonable chunk or work can be done by the remote user, on their local file without the need to accesss the central file.

ejburrell67787
2005-09-21, 01:08 PM
As far a VPN is concerned the fastest connection possible is what you need. A typical project file takes at least 20min to load from central and to Save to Central so it works provided the worksets needed are set up well and that a reasonable chunk or work can be done by the remote user, on their local file without the need to accesss the central file. I should add that, although saving to central can take a while, borrowing elements from worksets not checked out only takes a few seconds depending on what it is and provided no one else has checked it's workset out or borrowed it already. Ideally you don't want to do this, but if you have to then borrowing an element like this is by far quicker than checking out the whole workset.

bowlingbrad
2005-09-21, 01:25 PM
Has the current build (20050914) solved any of these problems? We are still on 8.

lev.lipkin
2005-09-21, 01:59 PM
Error with offsetting in Site view is related to lines being almost parallel, but not exactly parallel. We are sorry for this error, and informed user about workaround which is to align those lines, or to offset them as chain.

This error existed in 8.0 and most likely previous releases, and will be fixed in next release.

Performance problem vs. 8.0 on very large model (with thousand of rooms) is being investigated. Partial improvement for 8.1 should be available soon, more improvement is developed, in process of being tested. There is high probability of positive outcome (green light to include fix into one of coming 8.1 builds), but not a sure thing. We might ask for users willing to give such build a try first, if they experience poor response time with moving room tags, walls, or placing new walls.

Problem with wall wrapping condition needs to be reported to Support or posted here if simple. I could not find report on this issue. Other serious errors if not reported to support: please report them or post here so we can have chance to fix the issue.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-21, 02:24 PM
...Thanks a lot for your help...It gets said every so often...even so, not often enough. THANK YOU! Thanks for being part of our forum and caring so much...making Revit the best! Thanks to the others on your team as well! ...sob...sob...:-D

Simon.Whitbread
2005-09-21, 07:45 PM
...A typical project file takes at least 20min to load from central and to Save to Central...

Thanks Rhys, this is exactly what I was after. Although what would you term a typical project in terms of MB? I don't think any of ours are currently over 40

Cheers

Simon

James.Lupton
2005-10-04, 09:38 PM
Any news on this re-build

We are still using 8.0 but would prefer to be on 8.1.

We have not rolled 8.1 out because of concerns over performance.

The latest build is still 0914_0100 which we understand does not fix the perfomance issues

Everything seems to have gone quiet and we still don't know whether to load 8.1 or not

Any guidance would be appreciated.