PDA

View Full Version : Ruled Curtain Systems... brilliant

Wes Macaulay
2004-02-13, 10:03 PM
I've been building some RCS's (can also provide some R.O.U.S.'s, but not in Revit) for a client and needed a 5-bay RCS. I arrayed some detail lines in plan to help me place the grids. I had to move the first two grids into place, but after that, Revit got the hint and the other grids snapped into place. When I'm done with the model, I'm going to ask if I can post some screenshots / renderings. This is a very trippy building.

beegee
2004-02-20, 04:44 AM
RCS = loadsafun.

This example could be smoothed out if I had the patience to place more grids. It does allow a lot of freedom though.

Wes Macaulay
2004-02-20, 06:53 AM
It's one of Revit's most amazing tools. I wish we had something that would give as much freedom with other aspects of the building model!

Paul P.
2004-02-20, 08:41 AM
I've had great fun playing about with this. I definitely agree this is one of the more exciting tools to use.

Paul P.
2004-02-20, 01:34 PM
Is it possible for mullions on a ruled curtain wall to be at an angle and not just vertical or horizontal?

Wes Macaulay
2004-02-20, 03:33 PM
RCS's divide the wall up horizontally and vertically into splayed segments. Say the top and bottom of the RCS aren't parallel; you add a horizontal grid on one vertical edge 25% up from the bottom... that grid will continue to the other side of the RCS and end 25% up from the bottom of the other edge.

Essentially, Revit splays out the grids evenly.

I start off by setting up some model lines that will get me what I want, and worst case scenario, model them up manually.

Paul P.
2004-02-20, 05:23 PM
Sorry Wes, I don't know if I've not explained myself properly or I just don't understand. (Probably me not understanding)

Hope these images make it clearer.

sbrown
2004-02-21, 12:59 AM
They are neat, but do have some major problems. You cannot change the panel types to anything other than a system panel, this is very limiting. I'm doing a hotel tower with canted walls with a ssg butt glazed wall system. I have curtain panels created that extend past the gridline to "hide the mullions" however these panels don't work in any ruled system, so basically I'd have to model this as a family or something to get it perfect.

beegee
2004-02-21, 01:10 AM
Sorry Wes, I don't know if I've not explained myself properly or I just don't understand. (Probably me not understanding)

Hope these images make it clearer.

No, I don't think thats possible with a RCS Paul.