PDA

View Full Version : decal family

Max Lloyd
2005-09-13, 08:05 PM
Hi all,

I've done a search but can't come up with anything. Is it possible to have a family with an in-built decal? I'm sure it must be but can't work out how? For instance a plasma screen with image built IN, or picture frame with inserted image? All the family template files I have opened do not have the option under the modeling menu to insert decal, so I'm confused. Generally I have only ever been able to insert decals onto walls and roofs (although I'm sure you must be able to insert on to other objects?)

Must be possible.....surely....?

Thanks,

Max.

iru69
2005-09-13, 08:19 PM
While you can place Decals on all sorts of objects within a Project file, it doesn't look like you can place one inside a Family. Great idea, though... might need to head towards the Wish forum.

Edit: looks like it's already a wish (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=13287)

janunson
2005-09-13, 08:41 PM
i've done it by using an accurender material on a planar object. Of course you have to render the view for it to work... so not quite the same but you can get the same effect in renderings by mapping an image onto the surface via accurender.

iru69
2005-09-13, 08:56 PM
... so not quite the same but you can get the same effect in renderings by mapping an image onto the surface via accurender.
No, not quite the same - but a nice tip. Thanks!

eddy.lermytte
2005-09-13, 10:54 PM
Not quite the same also but what about vectorizing the image first ?

iru69
2005-09-13, 10:58 PM
Not quite the same also but what about vectorizing the image first ?
I don't understand... could you please explain a little more about what you're suggesting?

Roger Evans
2005-09-13, 11:17 PM
Came across a similar prob last week I was trying to put images into picture frames ~ I've seen it done by others but don't know how its done

Max Lloyd
2005-09-14, 08:27 AM
Hi Roger,

Its pretty easy really. I have just made a family for a plasma screen using the generic model family template. Any solid created with the family file will allow a decal to be placed onto it, but only once it is within the project file (A bit annoying!)

Anyway, here it is for your amusement. (couldn't resist sticking a picture of my baby boy on screen!)
I have attached the family file (notice the aspect ratio remain 16:9 with a simple formula). Also the project file is attached to show how the decal is applied. Note that decals can have self luminance, good for tv's!

Anyway, easy enough, just would be better if the decals were built into the family.

eddy.lermytte
2005-09-14, 08:52 AM
Nice boy you have Max ! Enjoy of him as much as you can.!
Irusun
What I suggested was to convert the image to an DXF file and stick that one on an object in the Rfa.

Max Lloyd
2005-09-14, 09:08 AM
Thanks Eddy. I wish i could enjoy him more instead of being stuck in the office so much!

Well you've lost me now, how do you convert an image file to a dxf? Presumably it started life as a jpg, or was it simply a dwg, converted to dxf? Is it then possible to get any colour to it? Whats the process?

eddy.lermytte
2005-09-14, 09:57 AM
Yes ... that's what I did .
I took at random an Jpg image > put that in a Raster to Vector Converter > stick the DXF on an object in Rfa. That's all.
It was just a suggestion I tried out myself.
I don't know if there are Converters capable of exporting more than a vectorized file like the one I attached.

Max Lloyd
2005-09-14, 10:35 AM
I've just downloaded a free raster to vector converter from http://www.download.com/Raster-to-Vector-Converter/3000-6677_4-10412880.html?tag=lst-0-2

Interesting results. This is a photo I took on a recent trip to Venice. The vector version is also attached.