PDA

View Full Version : Open program w/o template?

patricks
2005-09-14, 01:31 PM
Is there a way to have Revit open without loading the template, but still have the template open when the New File icon is clicked?

Reason is that very rarely do I open Revit and just start a new project from the loaded template. 98% of the time I have to close the template and then open a file. If it didn't load the template, it would save alot of time when trying to load the program.

It would be great if I could just load the program by itself, or have the program come up with the Open File dialog box (similar to what you can set AutoCAD to do).

bowlingbrad
2005-09-14, 01:43 PM
Hit escape during start-up. That's the only way other than making a completely empty template. And doing that screws up the New Project icon.

bclarch
2005-09-14, 02:26 PM
This is a tip from the old ZoogDesign Forum days. Rename the default template file. When Revit starts it will not find the file since it will look for it under the old name. Revit will then start up without opening a file.

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-09-14, 03:03 PM
posted a few days ago
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=25095&highlight=template

Haden
2005-09-14, 05:14 PM
Hit escape during start-up.
At what point do you hit escape? After the spash screen, or do you hit it repeatedly, similar to the windows safe-mode startup procedure?

bowlingbrad
2005-09-14, 05:46 PM
Splash screen, then template warning box. Hit cancel.

BWG
2005-09-14, 06:30 PM
This is a tip from the old ZoogDesign Forum days. Rename the default template file. When Revit starts it will not find the file since it will look for it under the old name. Revit will then start up without opening a file.

Doesn't this screw up the New File as well?

bclarch
2005-09-14, 07:46 PM
Doesn't this screw up the New File as well?
No. Once Revit starts just open the file that you want to use. You can even browse to the template file and open that if you want to start a new project.

patricks
2005-09-14, 08:12 PM
No. Once Revit starts just open the file that you want to use. You can even browse to the template file and open that if you want to start a new project.

Well I was wanting the New File button in the tool bar to still open the template if and when I do actually start a new project.

bclarch
2005-09-14, 08:48 PM
Well I was wanting the New File button in the tool bar to still open the template if and when I do actually start a new project.
Yeah, the button probably won't work, but you can always use the File>New>Project menu. The "browse" button in the new project start box takes you right to the directory with all of the default templates. Not quite as quick as one button but still fast and easy.