PDA

View Full Version : Attaching to barrel ceilings

KarinZawrotny-wwa
2005-09-15, 02:41 PM
I created a barrel vault ceiling using an in-place component set as a ceiling (an extrusion). It looks fine, except that I cannot seem to attach sprinkler heads or diffusers to it like I can on more generic ceilings. The items will seem to install, but don't show up anywhere (plan, section, or elevation). But if you pass your cursor over them, they do appear.

Any suggestions? Perhaps I need to model these ceilings another way? Eventually we want to fully render this room, so I would like to get this correct before we invest a lot of time with trims, fixtures, etc.

Any help would be most appreciated!

eddy.lermytte
2005-09-15, 03:16 PM
Karin
Check the Graphic and extents parameters of the views, the Visibility settings.
Check also if Plan Regions or other objects hide your fixtures.

Rhythmick
2005-09-15, 03:42 PM
Have you tried to insert from a 3d view?

KarinZawrotny-wwa
2005-09-15, 05:41 PM
I have tried both of your suggestions - but with limited success. I am beginning to suspect that the diffusers aren't showing up well because only the portion tangent to the curve is actually visible. The light fixtures worked when I installed them in a 3-D view. I will probably just creat new component families that float just below ceiling surface and see if that works.

Thanks for your input!

David Conant
2005-09-16, 01:19 PM
Karin,

Your hypothesis is very likely correct. When Revit tries to place a flat family onto a curved host element, it must match one point on the family to a point on the host. If this point is at the center of the family, the rest of the family will be buried inside the host. (assuming you are placing it on the concave side) You can try adding a void to the family that will cut away the host. Just make the void extend sufficiantly far above the family geometry that it will cut all the way to the host's surface.