PDA

View Full Version : Building Pads

The Monk
2005-09-16, 04:51 PM
I am working on a project that is on a hillside. The lowest floor has several levels. I want to create a building pad for each so I can evaluate retaining wall conditions - heights, etc. Additionally, one area has an indoor pool. I have created a pad for the pool room area but I cannot seem to create a pad for the swimming pool. I get an error message about shared edges and I have to delete the pad I tried to create. So, is there a way to create a pad within a pad? Should I be using subregions? From what I have read subregions cannot share common edges or overlap. Is that true as well?

I am using Revit Building 8.1

Thanks

iru69
2005-09-16, 05:11 PM
So, is there a way to create a pad within a pad?
You can't overlap pads. You can share edges.

For the pad of the area that has the pool, edit the pad and add an outline for the pool within the boundaries of the area pad (essentially creating a donut looking pad). Then finish the sketch. Then create the pool pad within the donut hole of the area pad.

Sharing edges can sometimes be a little tricky, but if you make sure not to overlap, you should be okay.

HTH.

The Monk
2005-09-16, 09:21 PM
You can't overlap pads. You can share edges.

For the pad of the area that has the pool, edit the pad and add an outline for the pool within the boundaries of the area pad (essentially creating a donut looking pad). Then finish the sketch. Then create the pool pad within the donut hole of the area pad.

Sharing edges can sometimes be a little tricky, but if you make sure not to overlap, you should be okay.

HTH.
HTH,

What are subregions for? How would you approach a condition where the building steps down a slope?

iru69
2005-09-16, 09:54 PM
Subregions are for distinguishing various materials such as grass, asphalt, etc. within a toposurface.

I think pads are what you're looking for.

The Monk
2005-09-18, 04:32 PM
I have been looking through the online help file for Revit regarding "shared" edges ... there is isn't anything that directly addresses this issue. How do you share edges? What are the steps??

Thanks ..

Subregions are for distinguishing various materials such as grass, asphalt, etc. within a toposurface.

I think pads are what you're looking for.

iru69
2005-09-18, 05:58 PM
I have been looking through the online help file for Revit regarding "shared" edges ... there is isn't anything that directly addresses this issue. How do you share edges? What are the steps??

Thanks ..
Sorry John, but I think we're starting to confuse ourselves. Maybe you can post a screenshot of the problem along with the error message?

My understanding of your problem is that you created a pad. Then you tried to create another pad for the swimming pool inside the boundaries of the previously created pad. You can't do that (I indicated above what you need to do) - you'll get an error message: "Pads can't overlap (but can share edges)." This means that the area of the pad can't overlap the area of another pad, but the boundry lines can share edges - i.e. you can create a new pad with a boundary line (edge) that overlaps (shares) the boundary line (edge) of another pad.

iru69
2005-09-18, 06:25 PM
HTH,

What are subregions for? How would you approach a condition where the building steps down a slope?
"HTH," - that's funny! I just noticed that. HTH are not my initials - it's an abbreviation for "Hope that helps".

The Monk
2005-09-19, 04:08 AM
Thanks John .... I figured out how to cut the hole for the swimming pool. To create the pad below the pool bottom I made a new level and drew the pad. When I tried to do the same for the therapy pool adjacent to the swimming pool I get the "shared edges" message.

When you create a shared edge do you use the line work from the previous pad created? It seems when I try to create a pad adjacent to the previous one (and the new one is higher or lower in elevation) I get the error message. I usually have to keep the line work for the pads separated and when I look at the condition in section view I see the earth squeeking through the separation between the two pads. I guess the question is how did you make the two pads in your images you posted?

Thanks,

John

Sorry John, but I think we're starting to confuse ourselves. Maybe you can post a screenshot of the problem along with the error message?

My understanding of your problem is that you created a pad. Then you tried to create another pad for the swimming pool inside the boundaries of the previously created pad. You can't do that (I indicated above what you need to do) - you'll get an error message: "Pads can't overlap (but can share edges)." This means that the area of the pad can't overlap the area of another pad, but the boundry lines can share edges - i.e. you can create a new pad with a boundary line (edge) that overlaps (shares) the boundary line (edge) of another pad.

beegee
2005-09-19, 06:07 AM
I use detail linework as the basis of the sketch , then pick those lines to sketch the pad. One pad at a time.

iru69
2005-09-19, 06:24 AM
When you create a shared edge do you use the line work from the previous pad created? It seems when I try to create a pad adjacent to the previous one (and the new one is higher or lower in elevation) I get the error message. I usually have to keep the line work for the pads separated and when I look at the condition in section view I see the earth squeeking through the separation between the two pads. I guess the question is how did you make the two pads in your images you posted?

No problem Greg. I just created the "pool" pad by drawing lines on top of the inner perimeter lines of the outside pad - nothing fancy. I did draw the inner pool pad at the same elevation as the outer pad and then lowered them afterward.

It's possible that Revit is just being tempermental. You might try creating the pads at the same elvation and then changing the elevation afterwards. You might alos try temporarily hiding your floor slabs or any other objects that might be getting in the way while you create the pads. Begee suggested a cool way of creating the pads as well. Good luck.

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-09-19, 07:22 AM
It's possible that Revit is just being tempermental. You might try creating the pads at the same elvation and then changing the elevation afterwards. You might also try temporarily hiding your floor slabs or any other objects that might be getting in the way while you create the pads. Begee suggested a cool way of creating the pads as well. Good luck.

Irusun is on the right track. Pads are tempermental when drawn on different Levels. If all Pads are drawn on the same level it will work. The problem now lies, when at a later stage in the project, you edit the pad and you have to remember which level it was sketched in, otherwise the whole share edges issue starts again.