PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a hole in an existing wall

Griff
2004-02-16, 02:57 PM
This first Revit project that I'm on is a remodel. After reading the treads in this newsgroup, it sounded like I don't need a demo phase, just an existing and new. Appearently Revit understands how to handle a demo phase.

I have a couple of questions:

What is the correct procedure for showing an exist. CMU wall that I will need to cut a hole in for a new duct to go through?

The other question is similar to the first, but on this existing wall I've got new hat channel and gyp board.

I want the exist wall to stay, I only want to cut a hole in it.

Thanks for any and all help

Griff
2004-02-16, 03:45 PM
Just to clearify
I understand how to use the hammer tool, I'm just unsure how the display should be set. I'll have a demo wall elevation showing the new cut in the wall and a new wall elevation showing the new penetration. The doors that are removed during demolition are using the demo linetype, but the holes I'm cutting in the wall are solid.

Allen Lacy
2004-02-16, 04:01 PM
Check your phase filter. If you need to create new ones to suit your needs, you can. I use Show Previous & New for a plan, Show Previous & Demo for a Demolition plan. If it's a minor amount of demo, then I use Show All. These are all in the New Construction phase. You can override the phase settings to get a look that you like (change line weights, change colors, etc)under Settings>Phases>Graphic Overrides tab. Make sure that you use the hammer tool when in the New Construction phase, otherwise your demo will be in temporary status (any items created and demolished in the same phase are temporary).

sbrown
2004-02-16, 04:35 PM
I always use a demo phase, Existing, Demo, and New. To me that gives the most control over objects appearances and the needs of the documentation.

Scott Hopkins
2004-02-16, 05:34 PM
For furring out on an existing wall I typically make a new wall type that consists of only of hat channels and GWB. I then draw the "furring" wall directly adjacent to the existing wall. I usually set the phase filter so that the new furring wall is shaded dark grey and thus differentiated from the existing wall.

Griff
2004-02-16, 05:35 PM
That was what I was missing, using the hammer tool in New Construction Phase so that it isn't temporary.

I just tried using the hammer tool on the wall elevation. It look like the hole gets demo'ed in elevation, but when you go to a plan view, the whole wall in cross-hatched. I must be missing something basic in the way I'm doing this.

Scott, that's interesting that you use a separate demo phase. I thought I had read a thread that mentioned there was a problem adding or removing phases. I'm using 6.0, is there a problem adding a phase in the middle of a project?

sbrown
2004-02-16, 06:03 PM
I have never had a problem inserting phases, but my standard template for renovation work just starts with all 3.

Griff
2004-02-16, 06:21 PM
Ok, first of all let me make sure that I understand what the correct procedure is.

In "new construction phase" I go to the elevation of the wall I want to demo a hole in. I select the wall and edit profile. Finish the sketch and then use the hammer tool on the hole in the wall?

Allen Lacy
2004-02-16, 06:38 PM
What's your hole for? If you just need a new door or window in an existing wall, then just insert a new door or new window in the existing wall while in the new construction phase. Revit will automatically cut a hole in the wall and demolish it.

Griff
2004-02-16, 06:46 PM
I trying to show the removeal of part of the existing wall for the installation of new ductwork.

shaunv68276
2004-02-17, 04:44 AM
Griff the best advice I could give you is to go through the Project Phasing tutorial in Revit. It simply underlines the best way to deal with all the issues, + it makes understanding Phasing so much easier. Without the correct knowledge and steps it could become quite frustrating.

Griff
2004-02-17, 01:29 PM
Shaun,
Thanks for the advice. This has been baptism by fire on this project. I've had to learn as I go so I can get this project out. I've found the tutorial you mentioned and will find the time to go through it. I hope it covers the problems I'm having.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

TeamRPM
2004-02-18, 08:41 PM
Selecting the wall and using the 'edit elevation profile' will allow you to sketch in the opening you want to create. However I have not been able to get the opening to show as demo work. Anyone who figures this part out, please post. Thanks, Hope this helps.

Scott D Davis
2004-02-18, 09:20 PM
Couple of ways:

Create a wall based family which consists of only a void to cut the hole in the wall. (much like a window cuts a hole in the wall, but with no window, frame, trim, etc. in the family) Place the hole by loading it as a component, and put it in a wall the is on an "existing" phase, and make sure the hole-family is on the "New" phase. the hole Revit cuts will be visible in the "demo" phase.

2. Use the idea of editing the elevation profile of the wall. First, edit the elevation of the existing wall, and sketch the shape of your hole, and finish the sketch. Now, draw another wall over the top of the existing wall in the "new" phase. Edit the elevation of the new wall, and sketch the profile to be only the shape of the hole. (so you will have a wall with a hole, and a piece of wall infilling the hole.) Finish the sketch. Then you can use the demo hammer, hit the 'hole' and now you have sent the hole to the demo phase.

I'm going off memory here, but I think either one of those should get you what you want.

PeterJ
2004-02-18, 09:25 PM
Following on Scott's tip I think you can also make a null window, with just the opening cut and then demolish that whenever you need to.

Griff
2004-02-18, 11:25 PM
The null window idea is exactly what I had decided to use and it is working fine. I like it because it add the in-fill.