PDA

View Full Version : condos, hilton head

SHARRY
2004-02-17, 02:15 PM
This is my second post, i posted this image on revitcity. But i'm looking for feedback. I need some suggestions on making grass and water more realistic... :D

Wes Macaulay
2004-02-17, 05:55 PM
Holy smokes, Sharry! How long have you been using Revit? This is a GREAT image as it stands -- and a great model!

Nice work!

Les Therrien
2004-02-17, 11:20 PM
WOW!

I don't know how to improve beyond that! How loong did that image take to render?

Scott_Bloss
2004-02-18, 02:37 AM
Sharry,

Looks like you are off to a wonderful start. I think just about any client with realistic expectations would be happy with this if you were to present it. Once again nice job.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-02-18, 02:56 AM
Very nice work sharry! This image is much improved over the first version (at revitcity). The overall feel is very nice, and the introduction of foreground elements is a welcome addition.

A few things I feel that could add to image are:

1. More foreground stuff, add some mulch around the tree and some grass/weed type things at the edge of the water. This is the biggest issue that jumps out at me. The connection of ground to water is obviously unnatural…. Should there be a bulk head where the sidewalk meets the water?

2. To make it more realistic, the water should be set down in a valley. Also add some ripple to the water reflection in Photoshop. The material you are using suggests turbulent water yet the reflections are perfectly crisp.

3. Try using a self illuminated material on the building’s glass, to liven them up a bit, make it look like something is going on inside them.

4. You can “puff” up the grass in Photoshop after the fact. 1. copy/isolate grass on a separate layer. 2. Rotate canvas 90 degrees 3. Apply wind filter (staggered from right or left) to grass layer 4. Rotate canvas back.

Again you are off to a great start! I'm looking forward to see how it progresses.

Z
8)

bclarch
2004-02-18, 05:42 PM
Looks great. My only comment would be to tweak the brightness and contrast a little bit to bring out some more detail on the building.

SHARRY
2004-02-18, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all of your comments guys! I've been using revit for almost a year now, though this is only my second rendering in Revit. I am more in touch with Form-Z and Electric Image.

I like Revit so far though. Being able to render and produce construction documents in the same file is fantastic. Czoog, I've already been working on the water and foreground a bit...I'll re-post when I've made some adjustments. Thanks again!

Scott D Davis
2004-02-18, 07:22 PM
Curious about your thoughts between Revit and FormZ. We have a few non-revit people here that know FormZ, and they are always trying to get a comparison between the two regarding ease of use. I know they are meant to do different things, but how was your transition from one to the other?

hj
2004-02-19, 02:25 AM
I'm one of the few people who learned Revit with very little autocad experience...however, I do know form-z fairly well...and the way of thinking is pretty similar in that you think in three dimensions. This made the transition for me easier I think. Revit is easier to use I think and can do so much more in terms of producing useable documents. Form-Z is really (in my opinion) more for just presentation....and I think it does a better job at that. I have attached some images I did in formZ for one of my projects in school...much better than anything I've done in Revit. On the other hand, I've never had much time to spend on Revit renderings like I did with formZ in school.

hj
2004-02-19, 02:27 AM
two more...

SHARRY
2004-02-19, 06:07 PM
REVIT....FORM-Z

I used form-z thru four years in college, and two years in pro-practice. The transition to revit was very easy for me. The main reason being that I am well versed in a-cad 2000 desktop (for const. doc's). Because revit is a synthesis of the two things have come quite natural. If a user has experience with a-cad then the transition should be fairly simple. But if just Form-z..then probably quite difficult. Form-z is much easier to build forms, curves, and irregular surfaces. Revit, i think, is much better at including detail items (families) into your model. Rendering...I haven't used revit radiosity yet...but I think similar outcomes can be achieved. Altering materials is a bit more detailed (a lot off steps are required to just change the rendering color of a material). Form-z uses a much easier process for applying and altering textures, colors, reflections...what have you. I haven't tried much day rendering in revit yet...so far my results have looked way too fake...but we'll see soon enough. Form-z day renders really ended up looking like photographs sometimes. Does this help?? I'm curoius to know your thoughts as well, Scott!