PDA

View Full Version : Can two model files be combined?

mcilrath
2005-09-20, 09:24 PM
OK, I've bought the program - my life has changed. Here's a "newby" question:

Can I "combine" an existing (house) .rvt drawing with a new (major renovation and addition) .rvt drawing?

It looks like linking is not the answer, and I've tried Cut-and-paste with very confusing results.

Do I just need to start over, say draw the existing inside the new .rvt?

Thanks. VM

sbrown
2005-09-20, 09:28 PM
You need to look at phasing for your remodel work. You should be able to copy paste most of your project back together.

Mr Spot
2005-09-20, 10:05 PM
Depending how you want them to interact as well you could link one into the other... I'd imagine it would be preferrable to have them as one file though.

In which case as scott suggested copy/paste is the only method. It also helps to only copy and paste elements of a single category at a time rather than doing them all if your getting strange results?? (are the levels setup the same?)

HTH>

mcilrath
2005-09-21, 05:18 AM
You need to look at phasing for your remodel work. You should be able to copy paste most of your project back together.

Yes, I've been trying phasing - Existing, Phase 1, Phase 2 Demo, Phase 3. Things get a little crowded in the Project Browser.

VM

mcilrath
2005-09-21, 05:29 AM
Depending how you want them to interact as well you could link one into the other... I'd imagine it would be preferrable to have them as one file though.

In which case as scott suggested copy/paste is the only method. It also helps to only copy and paste elements of a single category at a time rather than doing them all if your getting strange results?? (are the levels setup the same?)

HTH>

The first try was with levels out of kilter - what a mess! Right now I have correct "Levels" all over the place. Very confusing.

There must be and elegant way to do this? I'll try linking. I see that linking allows 'half-toning' - that may be useful.

Thanks,

VM

wildcat_714
2005-09-21, 02:44 PM
Look at your phase filters, that will allow you to have your existing show as halftone as well.

p-

Martin P
2005-09-21, 03:06 PM

Can I "combine" an existing (house) .rvt drawing with a new (major renovation and addition) .rvt drawing?

It looks like linking is not the answer, and I've tried Cut-and-paste with very confusing results.

Thanks. VM

When doing a big copy and paste job, I find it helps sometimes to do it in parts. Make sure the co-oridnates are the same between the projects too so that you can do "paste aligned" rather than moving things about when you paste them.

You could also have a go at grouping objects, saving the group, then loading the group into the other project........ I have had some quite good successes with this method in the past - I seem to remember it helped if the levels were the same names and level in both of the projects, though I am not sure if this is still the case, I think Revit may cleverly detach objects from their host levels now when loading a group - so it looks the same as when .... loading groups may the best way for you to get it all in, but will be a pain if everything is offset from one level if your levels start to alter....

Personally I am a big fan of linking files when I can, depends on the project size etc though..

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-21, 04:36 PM
...Yes, I've been trying phasing - Existing, Phase 1, Phase 2 Demo, Phase 3...First...Welcome! Glad you are here and glad you are giving Revit a Go!

Your posts here tell me that you really dont have a solid understanding of Revit and phasing yet. Have you taken a look at the tutorial for phasing yet?

Every view (most):
Has two parameters related to phasing, Phase and Phase Filter
Phase is the active phase, meaning objects created in this view will be assigned to this phase. Phase Filter governs what is visible and how things will look. This is managed via menu Settings>Phases

Every model object:
Has two parameters as well: Phase Created and Phase Demolished. Phase created is the phase it was created in and Phase Demolished is the phase it was demolished in...set to None means it wasn't...

For the project you've briefly described here you only need two phases, existing and new construction.

To document your existing house you can just change the current phase of a view to Existing. Then everything you draw will be part of the existing phase. When you are ready to document new work, switch the view to New Construction...you'll notice that existing work gets halftoned automatically. Any demolition can be done in the New Construction phase with the demo hammer tool button.

You'll need to take a look at Phase Filter settings in each view to govern what you see. If you want to see exg, demo and new work all together, then Show All will do that. If you want to just see New and Exg together use the Show Previous and New filter. In either case you need the view to use New Construction for Phase.

You can name the phases whatever you like but you don't need more than two to document a simple remodel project.

Also, I don't consider linking projects in Revit to be the normal process for a project like you describe. Linking is still primarily a site or campus planning tool. Building your model in one file using phasing is the intended path to follow.

rsharp
2005-09-21, 05:23 PM
I've used "phasing" on several residential and school projects, and it sounds like the way to go. Get familiar with it, maybe do the tutorial on this subject, I think there is still a tutorial in the current Revit tutorials.

cosmickingpin
2005-09-21, 06:15 PM
Phasing is GREAT! well worth the time to master its subtleties. You done need separate files anymore, the whole point is that several projects/options can be derived from one central file. You can do so much in terms of display properties and option arrangement. when in doubts "make views not files." best of luck and let us know how your progress, uh, progresses.

I've used "phasing" on several residential and school projects, and it sounds like the way to go. Get familiar with it, maybe do the tutorial on this subject, I think there is still a tutorial in the current Revit tutorials.

lynnepaul
2005-09-21, 07:20 PM

Thanks. VM

Why don't you copy it to a new layer in model space?

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-21, 07:25 PM
Why don't you copy it to a new layer in model space?Sorry...wrong program for that advice...;)

mcilrath
2005-09-21, 08:23 PM
Sorry...wrong program for that advice...;)
Whew! Thanks Steve!
Thought I was in the wrong program for a minute.
VM

mcilrath
2005-09-21, 08:36 PM
First...Welcome! Glad you are here and glad you are giving Revit a Go!

Your posts here tell me that you really dont have a solid understanding of Revit and phasing yet. Have you taken a look at the tutorial for phasing yet?

Every view (most):
Has two parameters related to phasing, Phase and Phase Filter
Phase is the active phase, meaning objects created in this view will be assigned to this phase. Phase Filter governs what is visible and how things will look. This is managed via menu Settings>Phases

Every model object:
Has two parameters as well: Phase Created and Phase Demolished. Phase created is the phase it was created in and Phase Demolished is the phase it was demolished in...set to None means it wasn't...

For the project you've briefly described here you only need two phases, existing and new construction.

To document your existing house you can just change the current phase of a view to Existing. Then everything you draw will be part of the existing phase. When you are ready to document new work, switch the view to New Construction...you'll notice that existing work gets halftoned automatically. Any demolition can be done in the New Construction phase with the demo hammer tool button.

You'll need to take a look at Phase Filter settings in each view to govern what you see. If you want to see exg, demo and new work all together, then Show All will do that. If you want to just see New and Exg together use the Show Previous and New filter. In either case you need the view to use New Construction for Phase.

You can name the phases whatever you like but you don't need more than two to document a simple remodel project.

Also, I don't consider linking projects in Revit to be the normal process for a project like you describe. Linking is still primarily a site or campus planning tool. Building your model in one file using phasing is the intended path to follow.

Wow. I thought I'd been through "phasing" - I hadn't. I've viewed DGCad's video on it (www.dgcad.com). Phase filters are a challenge.

Now - on to "Linking Building Models and Sharing Coordinates"!

VM

mcilrath
2005-09-23, 06:18 PM
WAHOO!!!! It worked! See jpg below - with Existing, Phase 1, Phase 2 (complete).

I started a new blank Motherfile, with two levels: "Reference" and "Floor 2".

Then, going to each of two separate files, in elevation view, select all, group, copy to clipboard.

Back in Motherfile, paste from clipboard (do not "paste aligned" - things get screwy). As each file came in, I would align to a level in elevation view, then go to plan view and move & rotate as needed.

When all was in place as I wanted, I ungrouped things.

I had set up phasing in each separate file in the beginning - all I know about that is that it works.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. This program is amazing!!!!!

Vaughn McIlrath