PDA

View Full Version : *.ies file -- What is it and can you use them in Revit?

hdjohnson
2004-02-17, 05:41 PM
Our lighting consultant has a bunch of ies files for the light fixtures we want to use. Can you use them in Revit or do you need another program?

hand471037
2004-02-17, 08:20 PM
If I'm remembering correctly, Revit' can't use these files.

An ies file is nothing more than a plaintext matrix of values that corrispond to the photometrics a particular light fixture was tested to have. This is something that's deturmined by actually testing a real light fixture's 'wash' of light, and allows for the computer to use those values. It's a nice shortcut for 3D rendering programs, in that when one is applied to a light source, said light source will behave as if it was the complete real-world fixture. It makes it so that you don't have to model the fixture itself in high detail to get the proper 'look' of that light fixture (so that you don't have to model every part of, say, a downlight can), as well as allowing more limited rendering software to make light fixtures look more true to life (for some rendering packages can't really figure out the light at a level of detail required to make a modeled fixture behave like a 'real' one).

Most stand-alone 3D rendering softwares can use ies files.

hdjohnson
2004-02-17, 08:49 PM
jeffrey,

Thank you very much for your detailed response. I really appreciate all of the information you gave me. I didn't think we could use them in Revit, but now I'm sure.

Once again, thank you.