PDA

View Full Version : Objects over floor pattern

m_cahoon14336
2004-02-17, 07:50 PM
The concrete floor pouche shows through casework, tables, furniture, toilet fixtures, etc. I would prefer not to see the pouche below these and other items. What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting or something that I need to do differently?

Thanks, Colquhoun

FK
2004-02-17, 08:27 PM
Switch to hidden line mode?

christo4robin
2004-02-17, 09:19 PM
Many of the "out of the box" 3D objects actually display only linework in plan. (I'm guessing this is a resource conservation method that is not really necessary given CPU horsepower and RAM these days).

Solution... Open the offending family, select everything in a plan view, filter your selection to include only lines and then delete them. Select the 3D geometry, go to properties and change the visibility settings so it shows up in plan. Saveas to your content library. Load the new family into your project. Select the offending family and change it to the "revised" one. Voile! No more concrete hatch!

Best,

fernando
2004-03-25, 11:56 PM
if i use the solution u gave , i had a big problem
1# example:
i use a a 3d sink made of sweep's and voids
first problem...in a elevation i get lot's of lines in de curved face
second problem ...in section , if i pass the cut line truth it i get a elevation , not a cut of that object
2# example:
i put a tub and want to get a cut section of is inside profile
i get nothing

any help??

studio3p
2004-03-26, 12:25 AM
I have modified many of the family objects I use regularly and have them stored in a separate library. For example, when I add a toilet to a project I typically don't want to see the tile pattern underneath the fixture. So I created a solid in the shape of the plan symbol, set it 2" above the floor and changed its visibility so that it only shows up in plan. It's a pain to do it the first time, but once it's done it's done.

beegee
2004-03-26, 12:27 AM
Fernando,

I think what Christopher was getting at , was to delete the symbolic/detail linework in the plan view and set the plan view to display the 3D model, so that it then hides a floor hatch pattern.

You need to keep the symbolic linework for the elevation and section views of many complex models like plumbing fixtures, for the reasons you gave.

christo4robin
2004-03-26, 01:43 AM
Also,

I saw a toilet that I think either Scott Brown or Chris Zoog created that was never intended to be seen in 3D although it was completely made of extrusions so it prevented floor/wall surface pattens from showing through. You could use this strategy for your tub and sink if it is appropriate.

Essentially, take the projected linework of the fixture for a particular view and simply extrude for a thickness of 10 mm or so. You'll have one extrusion for plan, one for front/back, and one for left/right.

I wish I had the family, but I don't. Perhaps someone else will see this and post back.

Cheers!

beegee
2004-03-26, 02:57 AM
Here's one of those families.

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1874

fernando
2004-03-26, 11:36 AM
thank's for all the help
but now the last problem
using a 3d model i easely hide the floor patern and wall
besides the lot of lines that some curved objects draw, i'm happy with the result...BUT....
in a section ....the 3d objects being cut don't show that result (inseide profile of a tub..etc)
why it happen's? i attach the section, plan and 3d, the elevation get's the same result as the section

frame
2004-03-26, 03:58 PM
One can also load 2D detail components that contain filled regions.
You could essentially construct the whole object from loaded 2D reps that obscure model patterns by using filled regions. If you really don't need to ever see the thing in 3D, this might be a solution.
Only problem: you have to make seperate detail components for front, side and top elevations and load them all in seperately.

christo4robin
2004-03-26, 04:13 PM
Fernando,

You are probably facing a family specific issue. That is, a furniture family for instance, does not have a display definition when it is cut through. Even when it is cut by a section, it will always display as projected.

Help has a chart which tells what components have a "cut" display representation. (Search for "cut in plan view"). Unfortunately, plumbing fixtures do not have a "cut" display rep.

You'll have to work with one of the other methods to get your tub to display correctly.

ajayholland
2004-04-02, 06:12 PM
One can also load 2D detail components that contain filled regions.
You could essentially construct the whole object from loaded 2D reps that obscure model patterns by using filled regions. If you really don't need to ever see the thing in 3D, this might be a solution.

I’ve been creating a number of these “multi-view” objects for a current project, knowing that eventually I would have to address the masking problem.

It would seem preferable to use 2d filled regions rather than 3d extrusions. The difficulty I encountered with the technique is that filled regions also mask the symbolic line work, and there are no display order controls available. For the view depicted I would have to create numerous individual filled regions bounded by overlapping weighted lines. Do I have the correct understanding of this technique?

On the profile extrusions, I have some unresolved alignment problems between the 2d and 3d elements when using the objects on walls of different thickness.

-AJH

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1953