PDA

View Full Version : Zoom feature with mouse wheel button

mmcneil1876
2004-02-17, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know of a way to setup Revit so that the mouse wheel button works to zoom in and out (similar to ADT)? So far, I've only found the 3 zoom options from right clicking. Currently, the wheel just moves the view up and down on the screen.

Thanks!

gregcashen
2004-02-17, 08:07 PM
This is a mouse driver setting and can be accessed in Windows by going to Start>Control Panel>Mouse>Buttons (TAB) and setting the middle button to function as a Middle Button. If that does not work, post more info about your mouse (make model etc.) Make sure you have the latest drivers for it too.

mmcneil1876
2004-02-17, 08:19 PM
I've got a Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical USB running with the Microsoft Mouse Software/Drivers. The wheet button is set to the default (Auto Scroll).

gregcashen
2004-02-17, 08:26 PM
Reread my post above and follow the directions and you should be A-okay! That is the wrong setting for the functionality you want to have in the middle button...

mmcneil1876
2004-02-17, 08:56 PM
I go to select the function for the wheel button, however there isn't a "middle button" option. There's a pull down with about 50 different selections, but nothing labeled "middle button." However, I've discovered that with it set to the default (auto scroll), I can press (and hold) the wheel mouse button to toggle between zoom and pan. Thanks for the help.

PeterJ
2004-02-17, 09:05 PM
I can't recall the detail as I no longer use the MS mouse but you should find that there is an advanced tab somewhere in the control panel>mouse settings that will alter the functionality of the wheel with certain bits of software. AutoCAD is in there by default, you just need to add Revit.exe and it will start to behave as a zoom instead of a pan.

mmcneil1876
2004-02-17, 09:48 PM
Yep, that did it.

Thanks!

Scott D Davis
2004-02-17, 11:38 PM
I've said this a thousands times here, because its my preference. You might like it too!

Click and hold the scroll wheel while holding the CTRL key to zoom in and out. move the mouse forward and backward to zoom while holding the scroll wheel and CTRL. Then in the same motion, you can let go of CTRL and instanly be in Pan mode. This is much faster zooming than rolling the scroll wheel.

ajayholland
2004-02-18, 05:29 AM
I had one potential user who had programmed the middle mouse button to function as a "double-click" in AutoCad, and would not abandon that set up.
Consequently, he did all view panning with the scroll bars, and zooming with the menu commands (not shortcuts). :roll:

-AJH

Steve_Stafford
2004-02-18, 05:32 AM
Painful isn't it...my students are stuck with Autocad 2000 and 2 button mice. It is postively unfair to teach folks with such "ancient" gear :shock:

kimheaver
2004-08-04, 12:15 AM
I had the same problems with zooming with an MS intellimouse that I couldn't fix following the above, however, windows can fix it automatically.

With revit open, go to control panel>mouse properties>wheel and click on wheel troubleshooter, a dialog will open for you to pick the program having troubles, pick Revit and windows will fix it.

Problem solved!

Good luck,
Kim Heaver

zanzibarbob7
2004-10-26, 01:48 AM
Kim,

Great advice. After I installed 7.0 MS Opttical my mouse refused to zoom with the wheel. Your solution was just the ticket.

Thanks