PDA

View Full Version : Roof tile fills distorted

jwilhelm
2005-09-21, 11:01 PM
I have noticed that roof tile fills become distorted as the pitch of the roof gets flatter ie. ok at 6:12 but not a 3"12
apparently some sort of perspective distortion is getting applied to the elevation view fills
looks awfull, anyone spoken to the Revit team about this?

sbrown
2005-09-21, 11:58 PM
its not that its perspective, its "real world" the flatter a slope on the roof the more horizontal lines you would see. this is ok in the real world but unfortunately doesn't look great on your elevations as you note. The only solution is to modify the hatch pattern so it is "stretched".

jwilhelm
2005-09-22, 01:08 AM
an elevation is an orthagraphic projection, those tiles should project straight out it seems to me

sbrown
2005-09-22, 01:10 PM
Thats exactly what they are doing projecting straight out, to understand change your roof tile to say 8x16 block, you would see it 8x16 in a view looking perpendiculare to the roof face, but in straight elevation you would see it 16" wide but much shorter.

jwilhelm
2005-09-23, 01:04 AM
whatever the case, Revit is not providing a conventional representation of spanish roof tile on an elevation

jwilhelm
2005-09-23, 01:05 AM
now that I think about it, it may be that the only way to get proper delineation of roof tile would be to model them, not something I would like to try, I wish there was an automated procedure for this.

jwilhelm
2005-09-23, 01:46 AM
ok just to be clear , attached is an example of what im talking about. on the left is an elevation view of a hip roof with a spanish tile hatch on it. To the right is a filled region
with the same hatch on it, notice the difference, I would prefer the on on the right but of course revit orients the hatch perpendicular to the plane of the roof so when you look at it in elevation the hatch is distorted. I guess the only way to deal with this is by modifying the hatch to compensate.

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-23, 02:01 AM
now that I think about it, it may be that the only way to get proper delineation of roof tile would be to model them, not something I would like to try, I wish there was an automated procedure for this.I suspect if you modelled it...the Revit pattern would look the same. The one you want is a false representation of reality...fwiw...but then most elevations are to some extent. You might try a different spanish tile pattern, one with fewer lines.

sbrown
2005-09-23, 12:52 PM
I believe the one on the left is "accurate" but I like the look of the one on the right(because thats how we are used to seeing tile in autocad elevations. Modeling would look like the one on the left or worse because there would be even more lines. You can make a filled region using your model patern then place that on your elevations and it will be just like your drawing on the right.