PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Crashes in 8.1 ????

kpaxton
2005-09-22, 09:08 PM
OK, I'm sick and tired of Mr. Murphy and his darn laws.

Here I am working happily in 8.0 (latest release) and not a care in the world. I create my buildings and prepare them to render. Usually along the way I will do between 6 to 10 test renders (75-150dpi at 'Better' raytrace quality settings) to adjust sun angles, trees, shadows, materials, etc.

I have an associate help me by creating a set of casement windows with transoms for me (because I'm crunched for time). I find out after all the time he put into it, he did it in 8.1 (latest release before the new 9/15 patch)... and you can't insert 8.1 families into an 8.0 file!! I just haven't migrated over as of yet. He says "go on, you'll love 8.1.... you can use the new audit feature..." etc, etc.

So I do - but also make copies of my 3 files I need to do renderings on yesterday, just in case!

Everything seems to be going fine, loading of families go quicker, panning seems nice, etc. Nothing comes through on the Audits of the 3 files as bad. I add the paths I need in 8.1 for my projects and rendering paths, etc. (WHY this isn't migrated automatically from a prior version, I'll never know).:confused:

Within a matter of minutes I crash. Dead. Gonzo. What the....? Keep in mind, I haven't crashed in months while using 8.0 and within 5 minutes???? Wow. I think, maybe it's just me. I check my settings, OpenGL, overlays, all that. Nope - identical as to my 8.0.

Now, when I do a rendering with a site, I usually have a separate Site.rvt file that I link in the main house(s).rvt model(s) into. I did this with an existing file of mine (upgraded to 8.1, of course). I do my first test render at 75 dpi. It finishes and I make a few adjustments to the Dynamic ranges, etc. I start to do another test to see the new settings. WHAM. Crash. What the ??? OK. Maybe I did this wrong (and no, I didn't cancel in the middle of the test) I try it again with a different model. WHAM. the third one.. WHAM.

Ohhhhhh. This is not going to do well - I've got 4 rendering that take approx. 2 hours a piece to do (300dpi @ best). Luckily I have a couple of other machines to use as a 'farm' while the coworkers sleep peacefully. But I still need to work on these files! One more time - >WHAM<. All in all 10 crashes in approximately a half hour. (Did I mention not once in 8.0?)

Long story short, I am sooooooo glad I made a backup of my projects in 8.0. (Why oh WHY is there no backward capability to at least the prior version? Give me warnings up the wazoooooo, but let me save! ) I made my changes I needed in a half hour and got the renderings to work just fine (not one crash, not even a tickle of a sneeze).

We had not integrated the new update of 9/15 as of yet. Does this help with eliminating these problems, along with whatever else it fixes? I thought I remembered others having similar difficulties.

By the way... the renderings came out fan-tas-tic! I'll post them tomorrow after I get some sleep.

-Kyle

sjsl
2005-09-22, 11:47 PM
I have experienced the same thing over and over again. I have learned that whenever I start a project in one build I stay with it or redo my renderings.

That's the one thing I have found over the years as a big complaint. Whenever I upgrade to a new build and have a project from a previous build, I have gone back and not used my previous renderings or views, but have done them all over again without any problems.

Otherwise, WHAM!

Cheers!

ilya.bass
2005-09-23, 07:37 PM
...OK, I'm sick and tired of Mr. Murphy and his darn laws...
Sincere apologies for the inconvenience. Needless to say we test all functionality, including rendering, pretty thoroughly with each release. Would you mind contacting Support with this? We will be happy to invesitgate this and provide workarounds and/or fix software as needed.

thanks

Scott D Davis
2005-09-23, 08:14 PM
I add the paths I need in 8.1 for my projects and rendering paths, etc. (WHY this isn't migrated automatically from a prior version, I'll never know).:confused: Copy your Revit.ini file from 8.0, and copy it into the 8.1 directory to transfer your paths from release to release.

abarrette
2005-09-23, 08:49 PM
Ahem... That would be MANUALLY transferred, Scott...:grin:

Although it is nice to know.

Scott D Davis
2005-09-23, 09:49 PM
Yes, but it's still easier than going to Settings>Options>File Locations and resetting all the paths completed from scratch!

kpaxton
2005-09-24, 05:05 PM
Yes, but it's still easier than going to Settings>Options>File Locations and resetting all the paths completed from scratch!

"Chapter 482 of the Revithikers Guide to the Galaxy says that with a small Brownian-Motion Device now attached to the machine, almost instantaneous building shall occur. Now where will I get a Brownian-Motion Device? Hmmm." - lol

I appreciate the effective response. I knew that there would be a workaround for getting this information in somewhere. Again, as abarrette says... manual override.

ilya.bass - thanks for the apologies. I know you guys try to test as much as you can! (I used to guinea pig, er, beta test for Autodesk a while back...) I will see if Rodney can upload the files for me on Monday. As mentioned I was able to get my files and renderings finished in 8.0 and they turned out spectacular. (see posting in Revit-Rendering).

I'm just wondering if anyone else has problems in these areas???

-Kyle

knurrebusk
2005-09-24, 10:45 PM
I´m heading for Maxwell Render! (and Viz-2006).

Revit is fantactic, but so is other tools.