PDA

View Full Version : Fascia sweeps

PeterJ
2004-02-18, 05:47 PM
I am looking at a new way of dealing with the familiar problem of forming an edge to a roof (traditional domestic construction) so that tile or slate finishes can oversail fascia and gutter. If the argument goes 'can it be seen in more than view, if so then model it' then this one should be modelled frequently.

I have used two solutions to date:

A single main roof and a seondary roof about 50 mm wide and join geometry to make one act as an overhang to the other. Its okay but fiddly.

A single main roof with no finish layer and a secondary roof immediately above it with a 50 mm larger footprin. Again works well, but sometimes fiddly. A third layer in this technique gives a ridge detail which is handy.

Now I am trying a fascia sweep as a little finish detail. The profiles I am working with won't work. Any clues anyone?

LMSmith
2004-02-18, 08:42 PM
Cool idea. The problem is the invisible line in your family. The profile is getting confused by it. Delete the invisible line and re-dimension and re-label your "ohang" parameter from the origin point.

PeterJ
2004-02-18, 09:58 PM
Thank you very much for that. I only added the invisible line because I was having trouble making the 'ohang' dimension work when starting from the wrong end.

Here is a completed example. I have used join geometry to join the roof edge hosted sweep to the roof geometry and it looks quite neat. The gutter and fascia are best added first and then the edge trim as an additional fascia type last, simply because it tends to mask the edge that you will select for the other sweeps.

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1521

I'll post this in Tips and Tricks.

rhys
2004-02-19, 11:29 AM
Looks interesting Peter thank you . Did you have any problems with the fascias crashing the gutter, when edited? See Beegees posts while you were away.

PeterJ
2004-02-19, 01:11 PM
In certain complex roofs there seems to be some confusion, but on a simple hipped roof wth level eaves it works fine. I have hipped roof with the short sides broken in three and a 'bonnet' formed using a slope arrow and the same idea works on that. No problems to match the Reverend's post.

msmith.tsap
2006-03-22, 07:56 AM
Peter, old post but only thread where my problem is evident. Unresolved problem of eave and rake junctures. Fascia board should be tucked up under edge of plywood. However seems the only way of attaching fascia is to edge of roof and going around perimeter. This works great and all eaves/rake miter beautifully. Then go back and add triangular soffit blend and works great. However to get correct placement of fascia relative to roof edge then I change vert and horiz offsets by "-1"". This then screw up fascia miters and each extend out past face of eave/rake accordingly. Any advice of how to place fascia in right location first time? or even a better resolution of problem. Help!!

Marc
TSAP

PeterJ
2006-03-27, 11:58 AM
Wel, another pretty straight forward way of showing a fascia that sits in exactly the rght location is to model your roof as though the fascia line were the roof location and then add a thin roof projetcing however far your tile overhang needs to project. That way you get the same appearance I was aiming for and you don't need to place a fascia as the leading edge of the roof will show as one. You can paint a material on if you need a specific finish.