PDA

View Full Version : Viewing objects above and below my cut line in 6.0?

jtanderson
2004-02-18, 10:42 PM
How do I show key elements the reside above or well below my viewable cut line? For example, a window at a stair case landing that I want to show in both Floor Plans. Or a small access door to access the crawl area below a stair case. Any help would be great.

Thanks

beegee
2004-02-18, 10:45 PM
In 6.0 you apply a plan region and set the cut level for that independently to the parent view range.

have a look at the help section for more detail.

jtanderson
2004-02-18, 11:10 PM
I will do that... I thought there was away you can select certain object and make them show in the level you want without changing the view level? Jerry, with Autodesk, showed us something like that at our user group last month, and I forgot to write it down.

beegee
2004-02-19, 12:10 AM
You can attach an invisible line to the object, making sure it intersects the cut plane, and the object will show even though it is above the cut plane.

gregcashen
2004-02-19, 06:09 AM
JT, I was at the meeting and I think I remember chatting with you during the break. You work for a design/builder that does the high-end stuff in Winchester or one of the other developments up there, right?

Anyway, I can't remember exactly why Jerry changed the view range, but I think he was showing the new features in 6.0, which would mean that he was using the plan region tool. At any rate, that is the correct tool to use for this application. It is, in fact, the exact example they give in the what's new documentation.

David Conant
2004-02-19, 02:28 PM
There are at least 3 ways to make things appear in views where they are normally not visible.

1. Plan Regions: Define a closed area on a plan view and set its view range independent of the host view. Good for split levels, and clerestory conditions. Wall hosted elements display a proper cut. Available only in plans and RCPs.

2. Linework. In a view, underlay another level where the element you want to see is visible or go to wireframe to reveal things that might be hidden. Using the linework tool, select the previously invisible elements or edges and set them to display using a specific line style. Restore the view to it's previous settings and the linework remains visible. Very flexible, but requires selecting each individual line, edge, or element. Wall hosted elements may become visible, but wall cuts will not display if they do not cross the view cut plane. Usable in some form in all view types.

3. The invisible line trick. Primarily useful for displaying ceiling hosted elements in floor plans or wall/floor hosted elements in RCP's. Works only for families. Host cuts have the same issues as #2. REquires rebuilding and potentially reloading families.