PDA

View Full Version : Title Block Problems

dsw98
2005-09-26, 05:03 PM
I'm trying to create my own parameter lable. When I do and then load it into the project, that parameter doesn't show up, but is there as a ? when I select the entire title block. I just want a lable that I can have there so I can manualy type in a number to refer to my overall area. Anybody have any ideas?

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-26, 05:11 PM
...Anybody have any ideas?...With projects, sheet families and parameters there are three steps:

Create the shared parameter
In the sheet family, create the label using the shared parameter
In the project, create a project parameter using the same shared parameter.
These steps close the loop, looks like you just need the last step. Assuming you did this with a shared parameter to begin with. Keep in mind the shared parameter step is only necessary for the first time you do this. Other sheets can reuse the shared parameter you already created.

DanielleAnderson
2005-09-26, 05:19 PM
See this thread:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=18357&highlight=parameter

dsw98
2005-09-26, 05:41 PM
Okay I've done everything and it still won't show up. When I'm creating my parameter does it matter what it's properties are. You have Name, Discipline, and Type. I just want it to be a number in the end. So should it be a number, interger, text, I'm lost here.

DanielleAnderson
2005-09-26, 06:47 PM
In mine, Name, Discipline & Type are all grayed out and unchangeable...I've attached a screen shot of what I see...maybe that will help.

iru69
2005-09-26, 07:06 PM
Okay I've done everything and it still won't show up.
Maybe you could post your titleblock along with what lable/parameter you're having trouble with and someone could take a look?

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-26, 07:06 PM
...I just want a label that I can have there so I can type in a number to refer to my overall area...Do you want to type this in once and have it appear on all your sheets or type it in sheet by sheet?

dsw98
2005-09-26, 07:08 PM
That's exactly what I have and see. After I add my parameter it still won't show up in the project. Is there a step I'm missing. Does it matter where I create the parameter, whether I create it in the actual title block sheet or in the project?

dsw98
2005-09-26, 07:10 PM
I would like to type it in once on one sheet, pretty much like the "Date"

dsw98
2005-09-26, 07:17 PM
Here is my title block. The Fruit Room is the Label that won't work for me.

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-26, 07:18 PM
I would like to type it in once on one sheet, pretty much like the "Date"Let's back up...you need to use a shared parameter, you have done this right?

If so, you'll use this shared parameter to define a label in your titleblock family. Then you'll load the titleblock family into the project. Then create a project parameter that uses the same shared parameter. This project parameter will be assigned to Project Information. To edit the information you'll be able to click on the sheet and edit the value or choose menu Settings>Project Information.

Have you done each of these steps?

Editing the value on one sheet will update all others, the same is true for editing the value via Settings>Project Information.

[edit] Looked at your sheet, looks like the only step missing is in the project...create the project parameter.

dsw98
2005-09-26, 07:32 PM
Yes, I have done that in the Project. That's where I'm getting the snag. It won't add the parameter after I've added it to the project through project settings. My parameter won't show up in Project Infomration either.

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-26, 07:38 PM
...It won't add the parameter after I've added it to the project through project settings...If you've done each of these steps...how are you trying to edit the value?

dsw98
2005-09-26, 07:48 PM
I don't think I understand your last question. Do you mean after I've placed it on the titleblock? Or as I'm actually creating it?

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-26, 08:21 PM
I don't think I understand your last question. Do you mean after I've placed it on the titleblock? Or as I'm actually creating it?In the project...if you've followed the steps then all that is left is to supply a value.

dsw98
2005-09-26, 08:27 PM
Okay, maybe that's my problem. I'm adding a parameter where I don't undertand what it's value is or where it's coming from. I guess I should have said. I want to have the value of my main level, lower level and upper level floor area's. So for those values to show up I need a seperate area plan for each one of those levels? Shouldn't this parameter I've added show up in the "Project Information" Box?

iru69
2005-09-26, 08:36 PM
Here is my title block. The Fruit Room is the Label that won't work for me.
The problem is that you need to delete the label from your titleblock and make a new one from your shared parameter file.

This is what I did:

I opened up your titleblock. I created a shared parameter file and added a parameter to it called "Fruit Room".

I deleted the "Fruit Room" label and created a new label, adding the shared parameter "Fruit Label".

I saved the titleblock.

I went to my project file. Under Project Parameters, I added the shared parameter "Fruit Room" and assigned it to the "Project Information" category as an instance parameter.

I loaded the titleblock into my project file. It works.

HTH.

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-26, 08:59 PM
Okay, maybe that's my problem. I'm adding a parameter where I don't undertand what it's value is or where it's coming from. I guess I should have said. I want to have the value of my main level, lower level and upper level floor area's. So for those values to show up I need a seperate area plan for each one of those levels? Shouldn't this parameter I've added show up in the "Project Information" Box?Time to back up to the beginning I think :-) You want the values for the overall floor area of each level to show up...where? Every sheet, one sheet...in a schedule... What are you trying to do? Not trying to be presumptuous but sometimes asking "why" is necessary.

Note to Irusun...his titleblock family is using a shared parameter already.

dsw98
2005-09-26, 09:00 PM
Maybe that's another problem I'm having. I think I'm not creating the parameter the right way. How would I create a new parameter before creating the Label? Can you re-post my Titleblock so I can check out what you did?

dsw98
2005-09-26, 09:07 PM
Okay, I've done some good yelling and screaming and I feel much better now. I first off want to thank everyone who's been trying to help. I sure appreciate all the help.

Okay all I'm really trying to do is create a lable that I can use to type the area of all my floors. Now I'm not sure if there is a mathmatical type label that can do this. I have no problem with just typing the number in myself. I just need a label there on the sheet to actualy type it. I don't need it to be on a schedule. Basicly a label like you have with the date, except it would Say "Main Level: 2,115" for example. Of course I may be trying to create parameters that can't actually be created?

iru69
2005-09-26, 09:17 PM
I've re-attached your titleblock along with the parameter file. However, any information you enter in will be the same on every sheet. If you want a different total floor area on each sheet, this won't work.

Steve appears to be willing to go step by step - that's a great offer you should take him up on.

You've already started with what it is you want to put on the sheet - do you need to be able to change this floor area on a per sheet basis, or is that going to be the exact same area size on every sheet in the set?

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-26, 09:18 PM
...I just need a label there on the sheet to actualy type it. I don't need it to be on a schedule. Basicly a label like you have with the date, except it would Say "Main Level: 2,115" for example...Your sheet titleblock file should be fine...you need to load it into your project and then use the menu Settings then choose Project Parameters...then follow the attached image to connect the "dots"... Once finished you should find the Fruit Room parameter listed in the menu Settings > Project Information, enter a value there and it will show up on all the sheets of that type that you use.

The parameter you are adding by the way should be the same one you used in the sheet/titleblock family. If you use a different one Revit won't realize they are the same because special codes are added to each shared parameter you create.

In the second image I typed in a value using your titleblock family as is...just adding the parameter to the project.

LRaiz
2005-09-26, 09:51 PM
Nice pictures Steve. But I got the impression that dsw98 wants different values on different sheets. In that case in step 7 he would checkmark Drawing Sheets instead of Project Information.

iru69
2005-09-26, 09:52 PM
The parameter you are adding by the way should be the same one you used in the sheet/titleblock family. If you use a different one Revit won't realize they are the same because special codes are added to each shared parameter you create.
When you say the parameter should be the "same one", do you mean it needs to come from the same parameter file? In other words, if I create a new shared parameter file with the same parameter names, and try to add those to my project, it won't work with the title block's shared parameters that were created with a different shared parameter file?

Also, what if I want the "Fruit Room" parameter to be an "instance" - i.e. different on every sheet? I selected "instance" when adding the parameter to the project file, but it still shows up as a "type" - i.e. the same on every sheet. EDIT: Leonid read my mind - and his suggestion works!

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-26, 09:58 PM
...But I got the impression that dsw98 wants different values on different sheets...
...I would like to type it in once on one sheet, pretty much like the "Date"...I interpreted this to mean enter once, appear on all others...I have been confused before tho' :-)

When you say the parameter should be the "same one", do you mean it needs to come from the same parameter file? In other words, if I create a new shared parameter file with the same parameter names, and try to add those to my project, it won't work with the title block's shared parameters that were created with a different shared parameter file?Yes that is correct, the same parameter named, "Test", from two different shared parameter files are two different parameters as far as Revit is concerned.]

...Also, what if I want the "Fruit Room" parameter to be an "instance"...Then instead of assigning to Project Information, assign it to Drawing Sheets. (as Leonid said...)

dsw98
2005-09-26, 10:02 PM
SUCCESS!!! We have got it. YES, okay I think the whole problem was the fact that I wasn't makeing it a "Project Information" Parameter first. I once again want to thank all those who could spend the whole day in my frustration. Thanks for sharing. I'm also glad it's almost quiting time. :-) Thanks again to everone for the help.

LRaiz
2005-09-26, 10:33 PM
When you say the parameter should be the "same one", do you mean it needs to come from the same parameter file? In other words, if I create a new shared parameter file with the same parameter names, and try to add those to my project, it won't work with the title block's shared parameters that were created with a different shared parameter file?
Revit identifies parameters by Globaly Unique ID (GUID). These are long hex numbers that you can see if you open parameter file with notepad. Thus parameters with the same name but originated in a different files will be distinguished. Furthermore if you delete a parameter in your parameter file and recreate it again in the same file with the same name it will get a diffirent GUID. When using shared parameters it is important to use the same parameter file and thus assure that GUIDs used in labels of tags/titleblocks are the same as GUIDs of parameters in project. Do not expect things to work just because parameter name is the same.

Also, what if I want the "Fruit Room" parameter to be an "instance" - i.e. different on every sheet? I selected "instance" when adding the parameter to the project file, but it still shows up as a "type" - i.e. the same on every sheet. EDIT: Leonid read my mind - and his suggestion works!
The notions of instance versus type do not really apply in case of title blocks. In order to understand how things work and what to do one needs to understand that title-blocks are essentially tags for drawing sheets. Tags generally show parameters assigned to tagged objects. But title-blocks are a bit special. There is only one type of drawing sheets and therefore it does not really make much sense to make type parameters for them. Correspondingly Revit removes Drawing Sheets from the list of categories if Type radio button is selected. On the other hand title-blocks are capable of exposing parameters of not just Drawing Sheets but of overall Project Information as well. So the rule of thumb to use is quite simple - if you want parameter value to vary from sheet to sheet then assign this parameter to Drawing Sheets; if you want it to stay the same on all sheets then assign it to Project Information.