PDA

View Full Version : Better Selection System

neb1998
2005-09-27, 02:02 PM
One problem i seem to have with revit everyday..........Selection Accuracy - Trying to sometimes grab a door ends up in grabbing a wall instead, and when moving it i end up moving an entire wall when the selection arrow was no where near the wall. I do not know whats causing this but it appears the selection is dependent to much upon the tab key. Which not only slows things down but is not required when 2 items are over a foot away from each other.

Perhaps a more precise selection system could be used, or one where we could adjust how accurate the selection of objects is.

bowlingbrad
2005-09-27, 02:17 PM
Ben,
I do agree with you. I guess I'm just really used to using the tab key. That seems to resolve alot of the selection issues.

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-09-27, 06:08 PM
Although I agree we could use a little more precision, combining the TAB, SHIFT and CTRL keys and filters usually works for most situations.

BWG
2005-09-27, 06:48 PM
Slow down, you are working to fast. :mrgreen:

truevis
2005-09-27, 08:36 PM
Trick: Make a view with only the type of object you want to select visible.

This works especially well with curtain wall panels which take 3 tabs to select if you're showing everything.

Scott D Davis
2005-09-27, 08:40 PM
Trick: Make a view with only the type of object you want to select visible.

This works especially well with curtain wall panels which take 3 tabs to select if you're showing everything.
Not any longer in 8.1, right-click options for curtain wall selections have made this much easier....

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-27, 09:23 PM
Selecting things in Revit is primarily about edges, perimeters, boundaries...not faces. It is also not as much about getting on top of or touching the object as it is getting close to the object.

Zoom also plays a significant role since how many objects your cursor is close to depends greatly on how "zoomed" in or out you are. Often it is easier to tab thru choices when zoomed out but easier to select the "right" one by zooming in a bit. When you don't try to touch the object and just get near it instead sometimes tab isn't as necessary.

Objects that aren't at the cut plane are always going to be a little harder to select, like selecting a floor under a wall. Tab is going to help but don't forget that you can always opening a different view to select something and switch back.

It takes getting used to, no doubt about it. There is always room for improvement.

neb1998
2005-09-27, 09:32 PM
I just dont see why its so easy to mistakenly grab a door when you are trying to select an object within a door swing that does not lie in the swing or the opening that is cut in the wall.

The door does not have any components at any height within the swing of the opening.

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-27, 09:38 PM
...I just dont see why its so easy to mistakenly grab a door when you are trying to select an object within a door swing...Even zoomed way out (attached image) I don't have any trouble selecting the object vs a door. Perhaps to simple an example... I'm not suggesting that it shouldn't be improved just that there are subtleties that you can observe which will help now. It is also about which side you "attack" from. It isn't obvious in the images but I'm zoomed out enough so it is hard to tell they are doors.

ita
2005-09-27, 11:00 PM
Use the zoom commands "ZZ" and you can get up close and very personal very quickly!

truevis
2005-09-29, 04:07 PM
Not any longer in 8.1, right-click options for curtain wall selections have made this much easier....
Ooh! good one. I hadn't noticed that new feature. (Was it written anywhere?)

My tip of isolating object types in a view is still useful, I think. Revit drove me crazy at first not having a pre-select filter as in SolidWorks.

Martin P
2005-09-29, 04:34 PM
I used to find selecting what I wanted could be a pain - pressing tab a whole lot of times..... But, well, I bought myself a nice input device that lets me tab by sliding my fingers over it sideways and it tabs for about every half inch my fingers move (depending how fast I move) - oh and if I move my finger the opposite way it back tabs if I overshoot :) - I'd chuck that mouse in the bucket!! ;)