PDA

View Full Version : Possible to one family cut another?

david.kingham
2005-09-27, 07:49 PM
I have a sink built into this casework and I want it to cut out the counter...I'm pretty sure I can't do it automatically...is there even a way to do it manually?

aaronrumple
2005-09-27, 07:52 PM
Windows/Doors cut walls... but other families can't cut other families.

Would be nice.

An in-place void or design the opening into the family. Those are about you're only options.

david.kingham
2005-09-27, 08:54 PM
How can you have an in place void cut a family?

Doesn't really work to put it in the counter family because there may be more than one sink in a counter :(

Scott D Davis
2005-09-27, 09:01 PM
If you build the void into the counter family, you can use dimensional parameters to place the void inside the counter area, or outside of it. If you have one sink in a counter, the parameters move only one void into the counter area and cut it. If you have two sinks, you have a second void that gets moved into the counter area which also cuts the counter. A void outside of the counter area will do nothing when loaded into a project.

This situation could be improved if we got on/off ability with voids which also caused voids to cut/not cut an object.

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-27, 09:09 PM
It would be interesting if we could, in a family, create a special class of void, assign it to a category for "cutting in project"...in this example, casework so if it came into contact with such a category in the project it would cut.

I say interesting because it would offer new possibilities, yet it would add a whole new level of complexity to not just creating families but also to their interaction in projects.

neb1998
2005-09-27, 09:21 PM
Why not combine the families in-place. You could then move the sink around within the counter family with no problem.

david.kingham
2005-09-27, 09:23 PM
The counter has to adjustable seperate from the casework

neb1998
2005-09-28, 04:37 AM
you can create it parametrically so that you can move it forward and back on the counter and then left and right.

Dont see why that wouldnt work, you can schedule either family.

mmodernc
2005-09-28, 05:40 AM
Counter families include a counter with a parametric sink hole whose edges you can drag or dimension.

Scott Hopkins
2005-09-28, 04:41 PM
The behavior of voids within families could use a lot of improvement.

See the attached post...

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=6460