PDA

View Full Version : Duplicating With Detailing

Adriaan
2004-02-19, 07:35 AM
I have a problem with this function. I understand that if you duplicate a master plan and make corrections on it, the corrections will be reflected on the copy. Well if I move room tags, or dims it does not happen on the copy of the plan I'm wortking on. Please I need some guidance in this matter :?

gregcashen
2004-02-19, 08:02 AM
Adriaan, you can select everything in the view with the dimensions and tags and then filter out everything but the dimensions and tags and copy them. Then go to the view without the dimensions and tags and go to Edit>Paste Aligned>Current View this will paste the dimensions and tags into the new view.

beegee
2004-02-19, 08:44 AM
Adriaan,

The annotations and dimensions will not automatically update on the copy view. They are view specific. Only changes to the model will update. Elevation markers are also global by nature.

shaunv68276
2004-02-19, 09:46 AM
Hoezit! Adriaan as I said before to you, catagories such as annotations, dims, detail lines, tags etc are view specific. I does seem as though you are duplicating work. but think of it this way if it was controlled in that manner you would want it the other way! How was PE

Marek Brandstatter
2004-02-19, 11:27 AM
I'm trying to get my head around this. Would there be any benefits if it was possible in Revit to disable/override the "view specificity" of certain annotations, dims etc - or would it just be confusing?

bclarch
2004-02-19, 02:45 PM
I'm trying to get my head around this. Would there be any benefits if it was possible in Revit to disable/override the "view specificity" of certain annotations, dims etc - or would it just be confusing?

Confusing. Especially in a multi-user environment. If person A makes something editable in multiple views but person B doesn't know, then person B might make a change to a drawing that propagates through multiple views without knowing it. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

gregcashen
2004-02-19, 03:45 PM
I agree. I would be very unhappy to see my dimensions replicate across views. Also, I should not be duplicating dimensions too much, or I am confusing my drawings. My rule of thumb is to dimension once, annotate once, leave room for notes and make the presentation clear.

cphubb
2004-02-19, 06:12 PM
We typically use this command to create other plans with different types of information. But we often like to copy some of the information. Some good examples:

1. Copy floor plans for exiting, code etc. Need room tags furn. some notes

2. Copy similar detail and change one part.

3. Have same view at different scales (expanded site plan vicinity plan) or different crop regions. We usually wait until 90% + complete before doing this though. We just place hold in the cartoon set.

I agree that one needs to be careful when duplication dimensions etc. We still did that in Acad (even thought we weren't supposed to) and those dimensions didn't update. The checker had to find dimension floating out in space and flag them for update. Our firm has had CD's leave the office with dimensions different on multiple sheets. Not since Revit. Yeah!!!

Chris

Marek Brandstatter
2004-02-19, 06:52 PM
Is it fair to say then that although it's potentially confusing, its also desirable in certain specific situations? The end result I imagine would be dims, annots, tags etc that "mimic" their "descendants" and vice versa :? Sounds pretty powerful actually.

Adriaan - can you help us understand why this is important to you?

gregcashen
2004-02-19, 07:20 PM
Again, this can be done. Select All...filter to include the detailing you want to copy...copy the filtered detailing...go to view in which you would like to see detailing...paste aligned. Done. Bam.

beegee
2004-02-19, 09:15 PM
There are occasions where it can be desirable to duplicate certain notes and linework between views and where those duplications should update when changes are made.

Just like a .... a... an XRef ( Phew, did I say that :roll: )

gregcashen
2004-02-19, 09:22 PM
I suppose you might be right...

Steve_Stafford
2004-02-19, 09:47 PM
Along the lines of consistent notation...I'd like to have "keynotes" that aren't; (meaning not substituting a symbol and number)

For example:

"blah blah blah, refer to xxx dwgs"

if "refer to dwgs" were a reference to a master note so to speak, you could make a change to the master and that change is reflected everywhere else. There's lots of common use phrasing that could be an "xref" of the master so you can place it liberally and change your mind about wording later if necessary without the high price of editing.

What occurs now is one person writes, "see xxx dwg", another writes "refer to detail xxx" and so on. Even with company standards this "slips" past us routinely.

Just a thought...

gregcashen
2004-02-19, 11:09 PM
Of course, double clicking on the refernece should take you to the referenced view...I have requested that before for in-line references like you are referring to.

Marek Brandstatter
2004-02-20, 05:22 AM
Put it on the wishlist :D

shaunv68276
2004-02-20, 05:45 AM
I agree with Marek "wish list". The biggest prob Adriaan is having is. If lets say the enlarge a room and then move the room tag, on the duplicate view they have to duplicate the move. This is an issue when there are 50 odd rooms to go thru'. I have looked into it further and there seems to be no way to lock/align room tags to anything even after editing the room tag family trying to put lines in that I could reference. the nature of the tag doesn't allow the align/lock tools to work. As beegee wrote [They are view specific. Only changes to the model will update. Elevation markers are also global by nature.] A great function would be to have some sort of global parameter to switch on to tags etc.[/quote]