PDA

View Full Version : TRENCH FOOTING W/ MASONRY WALLS

mrowen
2005-09-28, 07:45 PM
i have built a 20'x20' garage and punched (2) 8' wide garage door openings in one face. the problem is that i want the garage door openings to be open all the way through the bottom of the walls so that it looks like it would in reality w/ a trench footing for the walls to sit on and then the slab will be poured and you will see the slab @ the bottom of the door and not part of a masonry wall that has a punched opening.

to summarize: i want the opening for my door to go from top of footing to the correct specified height, but i want the door to only take up the top 7' of the opening. i would also like to know how to put in the footing, but i think i can figure that one out. there is also the issue of how to get the slab to turn down and sit on the footing which is quite about 18" lower and the slab is only 6" thick.

aaronrumple
2005-09-29, 12:50 AM
Depends a bit on what the construction of the wall is.

If it is a stud wall or masonry/stud, then I usually just put the stud on top of the slab and use a slab edge(s) to create the footing and slab turn down.

If there is to be a brick ledge I'll make the footing a sweep on the base of the wall. Then the wall will start below grade. The floor slab will extend into the wall to face of sheathing and I'll add a slab edge to create the turndown to the top of footing. I can apply a different turndown at openings in the wall to cut through to the face of the masonry wall.

If that all sounds about right I'll try to post an example when I get to the office tomorrow...

mrowen
2005-09-29, 04:39 AM
it is an 8" thick masonry wall that sits on a 12" deep by 20" wide concrete trench footing. the floor slab is in turn 1'-7" above the top of footing and the slab should fill in at the bottom of the garage doors.

is there a way to post a picture, detail or .dwg file?

aaronrumple
2005-09-29, 02:18 PM
This should get you started...

bclarch
2005-09-29, 02:24 PM
Go to an elevation view of the wall. Select the foundation wall and select "Edit Profile" from the menu bar. Create notched areas in the top of the foundation wall at the garage doors. Finish sketch. When you sketch your floor, extend it into the notches that you created in the foundation wall.