PDA

View Full Version : Brickshelves

kmarsh
2005-09-29, 02:45 PM
Ok, I give up. How do i make a foundation wall with a brick shelf?

Wall dims are 6" brick shelf at el. -8" and an 8" wall at el. +0". I looked up a solution from the RB group discussion where they added a 6" and an 8" layer to the wall assembly (which i managed to recreate). Then they unlocked the 6" layer and dropped the top of it 8". This works in a 3d view and even in plan view. However, you get an obnoxious line down the intersection of the two layers in section view. [see attached] (I'll need to draw rebar in this section...) How do I get rid of the line? Or better yet, wouldn't a family w/brick-shelf be a better option? anyone created one? I started looking at modifying the generic wall but unlike the wood truss demo, the wall isn't an extrusion of a wall profile... in addition to that, how do you get the top of wall to reference a particular floor level? I assume you need to input a reference plane but how do you get the plane to link to the floor level when inserting in a model? In the generic wall, I only see one ref. plane which appears to be the bottom level but can't see where it hooks up to the model...

While we're at it, how are people showing base-plates in sections? are you drawing them in as detail items or is there a way to add them to the model? I suppose I can create a baseplate family? That would be kind of nice because I often put baseplate details on a separate sheet with the schedule.

So I'm really hoping that people have solved all these issues. If everybody is in the same boat I am, I'd appreciate a little feedback. Has anybody actually produced construction documents with RS yet? Have you done it with ONLY RS or are you still moving to Acad or touching up with Acad? Have any engineers actually done a model export to Risa or CSI and back etc to do actual design? How are people preparing their standard detail sheets? Is the intent that we move away from "standard details" as a practice? I suppose you could import acad dwg files for standards, how do you control the line-weights? Anyway, I'd be very much interested in some feedback from other structural engineers or structural designers/drafters.

david.kingham
2005-09-29, 07:19 PM
I use a stacked wall to get the brick ledge, lower portion of the wall one thickness and the upper portion is the thickness minus the brick ledge

kmarsh
2005-09-29, 08:10 PM
When I insert an instance, It doesn't appear to be visible in either 3d or plan view.

this is the message: None of the created elements are visible in Structural Plan: Foundation View. You may want to check the active view, its Parameters, and Visibility settings, as well as any Plan Regions and their settings.

UPDATE: OK, I was inserting it incorrectly. I had gone to the family, right-clicked and done "Create Instance". Once I went to "Structural Walls" and inserted it normally, it worked fine. Thanks again.

I'm still interested in comments on baseplates or Contract Document preparation with RS. Anybody??

Bueller?

Bueller?

bknittle
2009-01-13, 03:56 AM
Try the Join Geometry command in the Section view. In the Section view, unlock the layers of the brick veneer wall to extend below the wall's base constraint. As you OK out of the Wall Assembly dialog and Type Properties, define the value you want for the parameter Base Extension Distance. This will extend the unlocked layers to the depth of your Brickshelf. Then, select the Join Geometry tool on the Tools toolbar. Select the brick veneer wall first and then your foundation wall. Good luck.