PDA

View Full Version : Residential door & window tag

barathd
2005-09-29, 03:11 PM
Is it possible to produce door and window tags that would replicate the attachment? Door dimension feet/inch - window dimension inch/inch.

Regards

abarrette
2005-09-29, 03:35 PM
You can edit the existing door and window tag families to approximate your image. You will need to modify the units format within the label in the tag to display fractional inches rather than project default (feet and fractional inches) and be sure that you are using the standard Height/Width labels built into the stock door and window families. If you have modified your door and window families your user defined Width/Height params will haved to be shared parameters or linked to the standard Width/Height Params inside the family for the tag to reference.

BillyGrey
2005-09-29, 03:49 PM
Hi Dick,

Perhaps these two attached tags can help.
They are just "box" tags instead of stripped down to just
the text, but you can probably alter them graphically to meet your
format.

These tags are live also, that is, if you want to change your opening size,
you can actually click on the callout, and input whatever you want
in the tag.

Let me know if you get these to work for you, and post them back up for
a share if they are good. :)

Good luck,

Bill

(Oh yea, these are in 8.1 format, I have them saved as far back as 6 if needed.)

Steve_Stafford
2005-09-29, 03:52 PM
Trying to manipulate the units to use height and width will get part of the way there but not all the way. The window is a bit easier as long as you don't mind seeing the inch marks. The door "foot" value is easy but displaying just the inch remainder value is not.

The "easiest" way to give you exactly what you want is to use the parameter Type Comment and enter the description you want to see on your plans. Then set up a tag to use this parameter instead.

Yes, this means you have to supply the right values for each family you use. You can either set up your door/window library this way in advance or wait to set the values in the project as you go.

aaronrumple
2005-09-29, 04:06 PM
We use a tag similar to that but the width/height are instance parameters instead of type parameters. This lets us adjust the size directly by editing the tag. It also keeps the number of door types used in the project to a minimum.

Scott D Davis
2005-09-29, 04:13 PM
Another option is to use dimensions, and turn on the "opening height" option in the dimension properties. Then your dims show like the attached:

barathd
2005-09-29, 04:18 PM
Thanks fellas:

Billy I was hoping to stripe down the annotation to its bare form - Steve has the right idea however it seems to be cumbersome. Billy your annotation otherwise works flawlessly. Perhaps we could see formatting parameter altered in the future????

Thanks

BillyGrey
2005-09-29, 09:27 PM
NP Dick, I'm plowing through a prelim for a meeting this PM, so be patient with me.
(unless of course somone takes my tag and "fixes" it before I do ;0 ) )

barathd
2005-09-29, 09:44 PM
Billy:

I'm checking shop drawings and have been for the last two weeks so rest assured I know the feeling. Your help already has been enough and greatly appreciated - if and when you can spare some time it is a bonus.

Thanks

Rhythmick
2005-09-29, 11:22 PM
These are a few door tags I worked up. Is there a way to incorporate special characters that would accomplish the inch marks in 3 & 4 without a separate label?

iru69
2005-10-02, 06:39 AM
These are a few door tags I worked up.
Would you mind posting the families for those? I'd like to see how they're constructed. Thanks.

Rhythmick
2005-10-03, 03:43 PM
Tag 1 should work with existing door width & height parameters.
Tags 2 through 4 requires parameter input for each door type.
Tag 2 can be used with existing door parameters - Type Mark or Type Comments, or create a shared parameter ie Tag Text
Tag 3 needs 2 shared parameters
Tag 4 needs 4 shared parameters

iru69
2005-10-04, 01:38 AM
So just to make sure I'm not missing anything, these (2-4) only work if you add shared parameters (or in the case of 2, use the comment parameter) with the numbers manually entered for every door type size? You had my hopes up there for a minute... but I appreciate you sharing :smile:

Rhythmick
2005-10-04, 01:56 AM
Ya a bit of setting up, Fortunately there are not a lot of door sizes out there, Once they're in the family library they're there for good. I've been using 2 which requires just the one entry. I was hoping someone would respond to my question on the inch special character text question which would half the entries for 3 & 4.

iru69
2005-10-04, 02:22 AM
I was hoping someone would respond to my question on the inch special character text question which would half the entries for 3 & 4.
I just figured out what you meant... you mean a font/character that would make the inches part of the width/height be superscript?

I'm not aware of being able to add superscript with a standard font outside of a wordprocessor, but you could have a special font made where all the characters above the numbers (i.e. !@#$%...) are superscript versions of the the regular numbers... or something like that.

Rhythmick
2005-10-04, 02:36 AM
you could have a special font made where all the characters above the numbers (i.e. !@#$%...) are superscript versions of the the regular numbers... or something like that.I remember having that ability in ADT for certain fonts that accepted "big"??? type fonts or something like that, - I'm searching through purged brain memory cells here! If there's a way in Revit that someone could share I would appreciate it.

Steve_Stafford
2005-10-04, 03:17 AM
...I would appreciate it...fwiw, I believe the German version of Revit allows for superscript in some fashion as a response to local documentation requirements. I recall a thread that I started in the past revealed this. No it probably doesn't help and therefore I deserve no thanks...:sad:

Rhythmick
2005-10-04, 03:40 AM
I deserve no thanks...:sad:Yes you do , now I can just fogetaboutit and move on!
EDIT - Thanks!

BillyGrey
2005-10-06, 02:33 AM
Hey Dick,

I came up for air and revisted my tags. I realized when I opened them up for an edit what
exactly my initial problems with them were...
I stripped out the linework and text, and aligned the two text field, put a slash between them
and loaded them into a project. As you probably realize, there is no way to control
the placement of the slash in relation to the text that I am aware of, so while the tag does
o.k. on simple widths/heights, as soon as you get into fractional sizes (anderson, etc),
the tag justifies over the slash, and becomes muddled. Worse yet, I don't know how the tag can be rotated after it is loaded into a project, so aligning to sidewall windows in this tag is not an option.

Soooo, if any of you zen masters out there wanna take a stab at a floating slash mark that stays centered, and rotating text, we'd have a real keeper here.

Sorry Dick, and sorry for taking so long to get back at you.

Bill

Steve_Stafford
2005-10-06, 02:56 AM
If the label on the left is right justified, the label on the right is left justified and the "/" in a piece of text, center justified in between. That would work? Except that the formatting Dick wants isn't possible without adding parameters and complexity to all his content. At least if you take the example literally.

BillyGrey
2005-10-06, 03:23 PM
Steve,

Some say that genius is in the simplicity.
Of course your idea worked :)

Now if we could just get it to rotate...

Thanks matey.