PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic ..... Hatch?

Rico
2005-09-29, 05:05 PM
I have a question:

1. Is it possible to create a dynamic block with a hatch in it that changes as well?

For example: I have a rectangle that is 2" x 4" and it is hatched within the boundaries. If I create a dynamic block of this rectangle that allows it to stretch to 2" x 6" and 2" x 8", is it possible for the hatch to stretch with the rectangle? Or are hatches unable to be "dynamic" in nature?

I ask because I am trying something similar and have come across the realization that hatches do not seem capable of being "dynamic".

Any input?

glee.94356
2005-09-29, 06:31 PM
Um, did you mean associative hatches?
That is turning on associative hatching and then if you change the boundaries, the hatch fills or adjusts to the new boundary as long as it remains closed?
As for a dynamic block, uh, other than being able to scale it (and the other editing features that you get by right clicking it), I don't think you can stretch a block. Unless there's something I missed. You redefine the block and it updates.
So if somebody can create a dynamic block and tell us, I would love to see how it's done.
Good question.

Ammon
2005-09-29, 06:55 PM
Um, did you mean associative hatches?
That is turning on associative hatching and then if you change the boundaries, the hatch fills or adjusts to the new boundary as long as it remains closed?
As for a dynamic block, uh, other than being able to scale it (and the other editing features that you get by right clicking it), I don't think you can stretch a block. Unless there's something I missed. You redefine the block and it updates.
So if somebody can create a dynamic block and tell us, I would love to see how it's done.
Good question.Check out this. (http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/AutoCAD_2006_Dynamic_Blocks_Part_1_White_Paper.pdf)

Rico
2005-09-29, 07:01 PM
ok, so that answers Glee's question ..... anyone got an answer for mine?

Ammon
2005-09-29, 07:02 PM
ok, so that answers Glee's question ..... anyone got an answer for mine?Sorry Rico, I wasn't intending to guide the thread awry. I'm new to Dynamic blocks as well and have this same question so I anxiously await the answer.:)

glee.94356
2005-09-29, 07:04 PM
Ooooooh.
I am a dinosaur.
Ok, am on 2004, so no idea this could be done. I guess I better start saving some money and upgrade to 2006 one day.
Thanks for showing me the light Ammon. It is a very cool thing.
My apologies to max.sabre.

Rico
2005-09-29, 07:08 PM
No prob guys. No prob at all. I know you weren't trying to steer the thread away. And I know you were both only trying to help. It's good that Glee learned something new today.

Now I just have to learn someting new. ;)

It's been bugging me for a day or two and I grew tired of trying to find the answer myself so I figured I'd ask.

Wanderer
2005-09-29, 08:44 PM
No prob guys. No prob at all. I know you weren't trying to steer the thread away. And I know you were both only trying to help. It's good that Glee learned something new today.

Now I just have to learn someting new. ;)

It's been bugging me for a day or two and I grew tired of trying to find the answer myself so I figured I'd ask.As far as I know (not that that is saying much), I don't believe this can be done yet.

Rico
2005-09-29, 08:55 PM
As far as I know (not that that is saying much), I don't believe this can be done yet.
This is what I kind of figrued. I've done plenty of research online and have found no way to adapt a hatch so that it stretches with a dynamic block, even when 'Associative Hatch' is turned on.

I'm hoping someone might be able to prove me wrong on this one, but I personally agree with you. I don't think it can be done in 2006.

Kind of a blunder on the Dynamic Blocks don't you think?

Mike.Perry
2005-09-29, 09:41 PM
Hi

Take a look at the following threads...

Dynamic Blocks and Hatching (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=19600)

Stretching action with hatch pattern (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=22841)

Have a good one, Mike

Rico
2005-09-30, 01:50 PM
Hi

Take a look at the following threads...

Dynamic Blocks and Hatching (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=19600)

Stretching action with hatch pattern (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=22841)

Have a good one, Mike
Thanks Mike! I knew you'd prove me wrong! ;) The first link offered no solutions, just reinforced what I thought I knew. The second link offered the solution that has proven to work so far.

Solution:
When choosing a hatch for a dynamic block, pick "Add: Select Object" as opposed to "Add: Pick Points". (Note: Make sure that the object is closed on all corners / intersections)

I suppose that Selecting an object would mean that the hatch is associated with it, as opposed to selecting points which simply remembers a point on the drawing surface. I don't quite understand WHY, or WHAT the difference is, but "Add: Select Object" worked for me. My dynamic block now has a hatch that stretches when re-sized.

Just thought I'd provide my 2 cents and show that hatching does work with dynamic blocks.

So far, anyway. If it stops working, I'll pop back on and gripe some more. ;)

cross
2005-09-30, 02:26 PM
An Associative Hatch seems to work fine in this block that I made. Every now and then it seems to want a regen after a stretch, but not usually. Have fun with it, take it apart, whatever.

glee.94356
2005-09-30, 04:01 PM
Thanks for updating.
This is a cool feature that I can see tons of uses for. Just have to update my library of blocks, when I get 2006.

bwenz
2005-10-07, 05:59 PM
Well guys,
I just started createing Dynamic Blocks myself. So far my experience has been that if the hatch is made associative to the boundry being stretched, it works just like its supposed to when you use the custom grips, filling in as needed. Let me know if I am totally off here.

Brent

Rico
2005-10-07, 07:34 PM
Well guys,
I just started createing Dynamic Blocks myself. So far my experience has been that if the hatch is made associative to the boundry being stretched, it works just like its supposed to when you use the custom grips, filling in as needed. Let me know if I am totally off here.

Brent
You're right in that it has to be an associative hatch, as we've previosly discussed.

But if you try deleting the hatch and re-hatching the area using the "pick points" option, the hatch will not stretch with your Dynamic Block. However, if you try "select objects" and hatch the area that way, the hatch then stretches with your Dynamic Block.

This is how it worked for me, even in your attached drawing. If it works for you another way, then that's great. But for me, hatching using "Select Objects" is the only way to make hatches work in Dynamic Blocks. I'd be interested in finding out what conclusions other people have come to with hatches and Dynamic Blocks.