PDA

View Full Version : Another program for modeling text for a curved wall?

hdjohnson
2005-09-30, 05:44 PM
I know about the work arounds for modelling text on a curved wall. I'm trying to model text on a curved curtain wall (the glass panels are curved), however, I'm having trouble getting the look just right since parts of the letters seem to "stick out" of the glass.

I was wondering if there was another program that I could use to model the text on a curved path (in 3D, of course) and import that into Revit to use?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chirag Mistry
2005-09-30, 06:03 PM
Try using 3D viz or MAX

I dont remember off the top of my head, but you can write text, extrude it, bend it...stretch it the way you want....--->export out as DWG and then import in REVIT.

hand471037
2005-09-30, 06:41 PM
Blender would be able to do this, and it's Free, if you don't have Viz/Max.

hdjohnson
2005-09-30, 08:11 PM
I don't have Viz/Max. I guess I'll give Blender a try...

Thanks for your help.

Scott D Davis
2005-09-30, 08:24 PM
Could you extrude your own letter in Revit? You could use an in-place family, that has solids for each letter, rotated to the right angle, then a void to cut the "curve" into the letters.

Otherwise, I'd still use model text, and place each letter individually by creating workplanes that are tangent to the glass for each letter. Each letter would touch the apex of the arch only, and then have a slight gap on each side as the glass curved away from the sides of the letter.