PDA

View Full Version : Floor tag to show square footage?

archjake
2005-10-01, 04:03 AM
Okay, Here I thought I wouldn't have a problem creating a tag for floors to show square footage, but I'm not given an area parameter in a floor tag.

Big bummer.

I'd like this function so that I can tag floors on a development plan and they will automatically update their square footage. I'm using the floors to show buildings.

I could probably tag with a mark and have a schedule, but I think the plans would be a lot easier to read with the area on the floor.

Nevine
2005-10-03, 03:23 PM
Room tags or area tags will give you squarefootage

Steve_Stafford
2005-10-03, 03:53 PM
I could probably tag with a mark and have a schedule...For now, this is the route to take.

BWG
2005-10-03, 04:10 PM
It would be nice to have the ability to query/schedule the "Information" that revit does internally in the element properties dialog box for this reason. Seems more like revit is BM somtimes.

Steve_Stafford
2005-10-03, 04:33 PM
...the ability to query/schedule the "Information" that revit does internally in the element properties dialog box for this reason...Are you referring to this or something else? (see image of floor properties)

D_Driver
2005-10-03, 06:50 PM
Why not do an area plan and then lock the area boundary lines to the edges of the floors?
straight forward depending on the complexity of the project and its floor plates?

Alternatively if what you are showing is just a "master plan" type of presentation, is there a reason not to use the mass elements? - there are some similar limitations with the mass tag, (like it does not want to report the gross area, until a floor is associated with it.

BWG
2005-10-03, 07:05 PM
Are you referring to this or something else? (see image of floor properties)

Yes, but I found how it can do that, just now; however, when I first ran into this, I had an extrusion that had a length parameter greyed out that revit kept internally and the only way I could figure out how to schedule the information was use a shared parameter - duplicate information. So, not all information is accessible unless I missed something there too.

I needed a line length schedule to show how many lineal feet of pipe we were putting in a given area.

archjake
2005-10-04, 01:06 AM
Why not do an area plan and then lock the area boundary lines to the edges of the floors?
straight forward depending on the complexity of the project and its floor plates?

Alternatively if what you are showing is just a "master plan" type of presentation, is there a reason not to use the mass elements? - there are some similar limitations with the mass tag, (like it does not want to report the gross area, until a floor is associated with it.
I understand the workaround but its just that, a workaround. For the area plan with boundary lines locked to the edges... What if the shape changes. Not very parametric if a rectangle changes to a shape with a curve.

Massing could work, but from my limited usage, they seem quite finicky. I'm just trying to represent a build able area.

Room tags don't really work without walls, or roof separation lines.

We all know that floors keep track of the area and that we can schedule that area. Why not have the ability for us to access it in a tag?

I guess its one for the wish list.

D_Driver
2005-10-04, 03:41 AM
...snip...
We all know that floors keep track of the area and that we can schedule that area. Why not have the ability for us to access it in a tag?
...don't get me wrong,,, I completely agree with you..we should be able to do this.
Especially now that we can edit a family directly from the project. It seems to me that there should be some mechanism that we could edit the family and still have an active link to the project and the parameters that are on the actual object.

sbrown
2005-10-08, 02:04 PM
massing is the way to go, once you make the floor area face, the mass tag will report the gross area of the bldg.

aaronrumple
2005-10-08, 04:21 PM
IMHO - Any property Revit has in the properties dialog should be usable in a tag and scheduled. Without using a shared param. Period.

I'm sure there's some rework in the basic architecture to do this, but it will be critical to the future robustness of Revit as the premiere BIM.

Scott D Davis
2005-10-08, 05:55 PM
IMHO - Any property Revit has in the properties dialog should be usable in a tag and scheduled. Without using a shared param. Period.

I'm sure there's some rework in the basic architecture to do this, but it will be critical to the future robustness of Revit as the premiere BIM.
Totally agree Aaron! The information is already there, already labeled. Why can't we access it?

scarter675965
2015-08-18, 03:29 PM
Pardon me for being blunt, but creating area plans for elements my team has already modeled seems very un-BIM. Perhaps instead of regurgitating workaround solutions the factory could simply write a few lines of code and make the floor area parameter available in floor tag annotation families?

My $0.02