PDA

View Full Version : Modelling public art piece

DanielleAnderson
2005-10-03, 08:22 PM
I just posted to the wish list that I could use the ability to do a blended sweep...attached is why. I have to model this public art piece, which is a piece of steel tubing that is tapered and bent with these giant seed-pods hanging off of it. I think I am going to have to get creative to figure out how to get that tapered look...just thought I'd throw it out here for the group to see if anybody has any good ideas on how to model this thing...
Thanks in advance! 8-)

dhurtubise
2005-10-03, 10:31 PM
Model in VIZ then import

DanielleAnderson
2005-10-04, 12:25 AM
Haha...I wish...Revit is the only 3d software that we currently have readily available, we've got, i think, a single max license and it is not mine. :)
I did end up building it in revit, and i built the tapered curve as segments, it's not smooth like it should be, but I think it will serve the purpose.

I'm still pulling for a blended sweep--pleeaaassseee???

hand471037
2005-10-04, 12:40 AM
www.blender.com

It's Free. It can model this, no problem, other than learning how. ;-)

Well, that and once you're done you would have to import it into Revit as a Solid, probably...otherwise you'd either get some faceting or a very large model... hmm... maybe something else would be better then?

Wes Macaulay
2005-10-04, 11:03 AM
You can draw it any way you want in whatever software you want, but how are they going to build the trunk, which I assume will be steel? If they're casting it (and have fat wallets), that's one thing... but your efforts already look good -- and buildable!!

DanielleAnderson
2005-10-04, 04:12 PM
You can draw it any way you want in whatever software you want, but how are they going to build the trunk, which I assume will be steel? If they're casting it (and have fat wallets), that's one thing... but your efforts already look good -- and buildable!!

Yes, I got to thinking that as I built it--how exactly would one build a tapered steel column? Because wallets are quite slim, I was told that the artist is actually going to use a used steel pole, so the way I built it may be more correct than not. We'll see, it will be about a year until installation. :)
Thanks for the suggestions.

Steve_Stafford
2005-10-04, 04:21 PM
...Yes, I got to thinking that as I built it--how exactly would one build a tapered steel column?...Fwiw, If you take a close look at many of the galvanized "poles" that are used to hold up street lights, traffic signals etc you'll see that these are very often tapered, often quite significantly.

D_Driver
2005-10-04, 04:34 PM
This is entirely buildable either in steel (welded plate) or in fiberglass/resin
there are several companies I have worked either directly or indirectly with that do fake trees and rocks out of fiberglass/concrete/resin mixtures that would not be challenged by this at all...Larson out of Tucson is one, there are many others that do zoo/museum and aquarium backgrounds

good luck!
David

Chad Smith
2005-10-04, 09:19 PM
www.blender.com
I think this should be www.blender.org?

This is the first time I have checked it out and it looks quite good, especially for open source.

hand471037
2005-10-04, 10:02 PM
woops. yeah. Blender.ORG. big difference. sorry there.

it's got a funky UI, but I dig it.

jthompson.70974
2005-10-13, 07:01 PM
We'll see, it will be about a year until installation. :)
Thanks for the suggestions.

Let me know if you need help in the installation!

DanielleAnderson
2005-10-13, 08:10 PM
Yo, yo, yo--how's it going in Maine???