PDA

View Full Version : REVIT 2d

jwilhelm
2005-10-04, 06:13 AM
anyone other than me ever wish they didn't always have to do everything in 3D? I find that some smaller projects could just be done fine in 2d, and in fact I have done a few in Revit that way by putting elevations in a drafting view, but plans still have to be done in 3d, perhaps there could be a set of 2d tools - I know this is anti BIM- but not all projects are appropriate for it. any thoughts?

beegee
2005-10-04, 06:58 AM
No, sorry. Could never return to a 2D world, doesn't matter what size proejct. Could never draft up an elevation or section independent of the plan. Could never face amending, or checking every drawing as changes occur. Couldn't face manually preparing schedules and checking / rechecking them. Same for door and window tags. Same for ... you get the picture.

Max Lloyd
2005-10-04, 07:18 AM
I'm with beegee with 2 possible exceptions....

I have done a few surveys of old buildings (mainly pubs!) and have had to produce some floor plans, knowing I will not need any eles or sections, just plans. As the building is quite old, there are lots of different wall thicknesses, strange extrusions and many different window sizes. In this instance, drafting using just lines in my opinion is just plain quicker. We have the tools available to us. Pick the right one for the job. It can still be Revit, but I have to admit, I did revert back to AutoCAD for that particular project :Oops:

The second one is a little more contentious. Site layouts. This is an instance where I may need 3d info from the project, but simply find it sooo time consuming to create the site using the current site tools. It is certainly possible and Revit will get you there, it just takes a while. Although to 'blame' Revit is possibly not the right thing as often, you simply don't need to model all the information and linework on a site is quite appropriate.

Its been said many times before, only model what you need to. Its just, as Beegee kind of alludes to, you will normally find you should have just modelled that object you didn't think was worth modeling at the time!

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-10-04, 10:10 AM
Nope Sorry!
For me it's BIM or NOTHING, doesn't matter how small!!!!
I will not go backwards!!!
But if you really feel the need Jwilhelm, why dont you do the small ones in acad then, perfect 2d tool.

Wes Macaulay
2005-10-04, 11:11 AM
Another project type that might be a contender for 2D only is townhouses on a steep site. Since each unit has a different floor elevation, you'd have scores of levels, plan regions, etc.

Haven't done a project like this in Revit but might be soon.

I agree that on really small projects using Revit is like using a hammer to put in a thumbtack; so using drafting views is a good idea.

Max Lloyd
2005-10-04, 11:53 AM
Wes,

I have done exactly that project in revit. Its a pain in the backside, but acheivable using the techniques you describe. It would be a damn site easier if groups worked better and you had the ability to mirror a little better. Personally, i would still use revit for even that type of project.

Joef
2005-10-04, 01:47 PM
I'm just starting out a small subdivision layout on a very steep site. I have been using AutoCAD and a calculator for all my preliminary layouts. I have been trying to figure out how to do this in Revit. I will probably slog away at it in AutoCAD till I get to a point where I can see where the pad levels are going to be, then do each house in a separate file, linking it into a flat site. I will then do all the site work as a flat file in AutoCAD and link it to the site plan in Revit. I will fake all the slopes on the elevations of the individual houses with filled regions. I just can't think of an economical way to do all the sloping driveways and stairs and curbs in Revit. I just know it would be a PITA. If anyone out there has done this successfully (in Revit)I would enjoy hearing about it.

Joe

Joef
2005-10-04, 04:23 PM
Just as a follow-up to this, I was thinking that the site I am working on will be a PITA to actually build, so it should not come as too great a surprise that it is a PITA to try to model and design.

Joe