PDA

View Full Version : Input devices - carpal tunnel

mmakowski01
2005-10-04, 09:18 PM
I'm starting to develop a little carpal tunnel and am considering different input devices. I'm using AutoCAD 2000. The Items under consideration are: Gyrations "Air-Mouse and one of the tablets from Wacom. Any Thoughts?

quiggle
2005-10-04, 09:25 PM
I had the same problem starting. I changed to a Logitech Trackman trackball and no more problem and no surgery. It took a few days to get used to using my thumb for direction but now it seems quite natural.

Opie
2005-10-04, 09:28 PM
I too, use a Logitech Trackman w/ Wheel. This thread may help you out a little.

Mike.Perry
2005-10-04, 09:30 PM
I'm starting to develop a little carpal tunnel and am considering different input devices. I'm using AutoCAD 2000. The Items under consideration are: Gyrations "Air-Mouse and one of the tablets from Wacom. Any Thoughts?Hi

Try searching (http://forums.augi.com/search.php?) the forums using the following search criteria -

Key Word(s): carpal + tunnel

Have a good one, Mike

Wanderer
2005-10-05, 12:15 PM
I'm starting to develop a little carpal tunnel and am considering different input devices. I'm using AutoCAD 2000. The Items under consideration are: Gyrations "Air-Mouse and one of the tablets from Wacom. Any Thoughts?When I started experiencing some wrist pain, I got a mousepad with a wrist support on it, and that alleviated the discomfort for me.
Good luck! :)

robert.1.hall72202
2005-10-05, 01:49 PM
The mouse pad is a good idea. I also have a gel wrist pad in front of my keyboard.
Speaking of keyboards, might want to try one that has slanted keys.

Ive never had any problems using the mouse, however, I do play alot of console video games which gets me using different motions. Over the years I probably have
developed a good gaming thumb, lol.

rmcdonald
2005-10-11, 08:35 PM
I'm starting to develop a little carpal tunnel and am considering different input devices. I'm using AutoCAD 2000. The Items under consideration are: Gyrations "Air-Mouse and one of the tablets from Wacom. Any Thoughts?

Same here I switched to a track ball and after a few days I was back to normal.

jonathan.landeros
2005-10-11, 08:45 PM
Same here I switched to a track ball and after a few days I was back to normal.

I've been lucky enough to not get carpal tunnel (knock on wood). I knew some people who got Wacom tablets to alleviate developing carpal tunnel and they swore by them.

glee.94356
2005-10-11, 11:27 PM
I just changed my keyboard tray.
The one I had that seemed to work really well came from this company.
http://www.task2.com/gl_subdirectory.asp?sec=2&catid=84
I used a 27" platfrom with a fully adjustable arm. Seem to alleviate the problems.
Change the mouse to an infra red one instead of the usual ball. No need to clean the ball and seems to be smoother overall.
my two cents.

Tom Dorner
2005-10-12, 02:23 AM
I'm one of those that swear by Wacom tablets. I've had the Intuous 2 for years at home and finally broke down and out of my own pocket order a Intuous 3 for work. I find the 4"x5" is big enough for general PC tasks and my use of Revit.

Tom

Wanderer
2005-10-12, 11:57 AM
When I started experiencing some wrist pain, I got a mousepad with a wrist support on it, and that alleviated the discomfort for me.
Good luck! :)Oh, it might be worth mentioning, that, while I did get this type of mouse pad less than two years ago, I've been using a similar wrist support for my keyboard for over 5 years.

baechlerj
2005-10-12, 02:51 PM
I too suffer from Carpel Tunnel, (slated for surgery in the new year) as well as Rheumatoid Arthritis, (getting old sucks:( . I use the Logitech Track man FX Marble Mouse and love it. I also have adjustable articulating brackets that clamps onto my keyboard tray to support my forearms, which relives the strain in my upper arms & shoulders which can also affect Carpel Tunnel. It also keeps your wrists flat, not hyper extended. I found that the wrist pads were to narrow and didn't offer as much support as the brackets.
Total ergonomics plays an important role, starting with your chair height, distance & height of your monitor to the placement of your keyboard. You have to look at the whole workstation set-up.

Wanderer
2006-09-25, 03:04 AM
I also have adjustable articulating brackets that clamps onto my keyboard tray to support my forearms, which relives the strain in my upper arms & shoulders which can also affect Carpel Tunnel. It also keeps your wrists flat, not hyper extended. I found that the wrist pads were to narrow and didn't offer as much support as the brackets.I just came across this site which sells Ergonomic computer accessories (http://www.ergo-items.com/index.htm), even for kids. There are some wild-looking mice on there, but, there are also these arm-supports Joe mentioned.

2006-09-25, 07:57 AM
I'm starting to develop a little carpal tunnel and am considering different input devices. I'm using AutoCAD 2000. The Items under consideration are: Gyrations "Air-Mouse and one of the tablets from Wacom. Any Thoughts?I had carpal tunnel syndrome about ten years ago, from talking with my doctor and a few simple exercises I have got over it without the need for surgery.

The first thing my doctor recommended was to change my chair height, so that my upper arm is almost vertically down, then your lower arm should be at an angle of just less than 90 degrees, also use a wrist support.

To get over the actual condition, which I got in my shoulder, the doctor recommended that I "make like an elephant" and swing my arm to and fro in front of me. Apart from looking like a complete berk, it really helped, I wonder if it was a case of laughter being the best cure, or if it was a genius manouvre!?