PDA

View Full Version : Wonder where the old DOS screen menu went?

dbanker
2005-10-05, 01:28 PM
It didn't go anywhere. It's still in AutoCAD! Go to Options->Display tab->click on the check box next to Display Screen Menu. A blast from the past...

Wanderer
2005-10-05, 01:41 PM
It didn't go anywhere. It's still in AutoCAD! Go to Options->Display tab->click on the check box next to Display Screen Menu. A blast from the past...Oh, the memories!

dbanker
2005-10-05, 01:52 PM
Oh, the memories!

Which leads me to believe AutoCAD developers are pack rats!

BrenBren
2005-10-05, 02:16 PM
It didn't go anywhere. It's still in AutoCAD! Go to Options->Display tab->click on the check box next to Display Screen Menu. A blast from the past...
FWIW, this is scheduled to be removed in the next release... I think

Wanderer
2005-10-05, 05:16 PM
Which leads me to believe AutoCAD developers are pack rats!:shock: noooooo... (http://betaprograms.autodesk.com/history/area51.htm)

Kris.Keller
2005-10-05, 11:31 PM
Oh, the memories!

I am having a hard time remembering that far back. I guess that I am getting too old. What release did it fade onto the back shelf?

jaberwok
2005-10-05, 11:49 PM
I am having a hard time remembering that far back. I guess that I am getting too old. What release did it fade onto the back shelf?

R13 they made it (pretty much) duplicate the pull-downs, so making it fairly pointless..
A2000 (I think) they made if off by default.

Kris.Keller
2005-10-05, 11:53 PM
R13 they made it (pretty much) duplicate the pull-downs, so making it fairly pointless..
A2000 (I think) they made if off by default.

After you have been around the block a time or two, the releases blend together and I have a hard time remembering what took place in each release.

jaberwok
2005-10-06, 12:07 AM
After you have been around the block a time or two, the releases blend together and I have a hard time remembering what took place in each release.

Hi Kris.

I have a Trivial Pursuit mind - I only remember things that don't matter. :?:

tlewald
2005-10-06, 10:44 AM
wow that brings back nightmares....

dbanker
2005-10-06, 03:41 PM
What release did it fade onto the back shelf?
I believe it was the windows version of R12...I think when the windows version hit the streets it faded. Now that OTRACK is getting more popular, i'm wondering if ORTHO will be next to fade...

Wanderer
2005-10-06, 03:42 PM
Hi Kris.

I have a Trivial Pursuit mind - I only remember things that don't matter. :?:Amen to that!

As for releases running together, I second that also. It was a nice blast to the past, when 2005 came out, I did a summary of new features in my LUG's newsletter using the history page on the autodesk website (linked in an earlier post of mine in this thread), and WOW what a blast to the past.

robert.1.hall72202
2005-10-07, 12:42 PM
Im scared now.........I can't believe I used that I learned cad using that screen menu.
Does that make me dated?

BrenBren
2005-10-07, 12:45 PM
Im scared now.........I can't believe I used that I learned cad using that screen menu.
Does that make me dated?
nah, it just makes you old ;)

Opie
2005-10-07, 01:29 PM
Isn't that like the pot call... err nevermind. ;)

Opie
2005-10-07, 01:29 PM
Does that make me dated?
Is that a use by date I see there? ;)

Kris.Keller
2005-10-07, 04:12 PM

I resemble that remark. ;-)

CADKitty
2005-10-07, 05:58 PM
It didn't go anywhere. It's still in AutoCAD! Go to Options->Display tab->click on the check box next to Display Screen Menu. A blast from the past...What the heck is a "Display Screen Menu"? :?
~runs and hides before she gets hurt~

Glenn Pope
2005-10-07, 06:00 PM
What the heck is a "Display Screen Menu"? :?
~runs and hides before she gets hurt~
Its this thing.

Maverick91
2005-10-07, 08:08 PM
What the heck is a "Display Screen Menu"? :?
~runs and hides before she gets hurt~It something like a pulldown, but on the side of the screen. It was most popular in the DOS versions of ACAD. Youngin'... :roll:

anapier
2005-10-09, 07:31 AM
I've enjoyed reading this thread. It brought back memories of how much I always hated the display menu! From the beginning you always had at least three ways to enter a command. My favorite was always modifying the pgp file to try to get all the commands I used accessable from one hand on the keyboard; while the other was on the puck, utilizing the digitizer. Ahhh, the good 'ole days! Does anyone want their drafting board back?

Wanderer
2005-10-10, 12:02 PM
I've enjoyed reading this thread. It brought back memories of how much I always hated the display menu! From the beginning you always had at least three ways to enter a command. My favorite was always modifying the pgp file to try to get all the commands I used accessable from one hand on the keyboard; while the other was on the puck, utilizing the digitizer. Ahhh, the good 'ole days! Does anyone want their drafting board back?Drafting board? What's that? :mrgreen:

anapier
2005-10-10, 08:24 PM
Call me sentimental.....my company went to get rid of my drafting board: they told me I couldn't have it anymore; so, they let me take it home! It's one of those old, solid oak ones, that you either had to stand up or use a drafting stool to sit at - the kind I learned on, actually: not electric, just the good 'ole straight edge, having to use triangles to get the correct angle! (Actually I only used it as a layout table at work for the last 10 years, except for some quick changes to already plotted drawings. Now, it's my craft table!

Wanderer
2005-10-10, 08:42 PM
Call me sentimental.....my company went to get rid of my drafting board: they told me I couldn't have it anymore; so, they let me take it home! It's one of those old, solid oak ones, that you either had to stand up or use a drafting stool to sit at - the kind I learned on, actually: not electric, just the good 'ole straight edge, having to use triangles to get the correct angle! (Actually I only used it as a layout table at work for the last 10 years, except for some quick changes to already plotted drawings. Now, it's my craft table!I still have one in my office. The engineers use it to look at drawings on sometimes (I try to break them of the habit, obviously).

Maverick91
2005-10-10, 08:57 PM
Call me sentimental.....my company went to get rid of my drafting board: they told me I couldn't have it anymore; so, they let me take it home! It's one of those old, solid oak ones, that you either had to stand up or use a drafting stool to sit at - the kind I learned on, actually: not electric, just the good 'ole straight edge, having to use triangles to get the correct angle! (Actually I only used it as a layout table at work for the last 10 years, except for some quick changes to already plotted drawings. Now, it's my craft table!Dude...! Lucky!

anapier
2005-10-10, 09:03 PM
Yeah! Not too long ago, they were cleaning out flat files and decided to get rid of a bunch of them. So, now I have the flat files to match! I don't know what I'm going to do with them. They take up a lot of space, but they match my table so I had to have them! Maybe I'll start a drafting museum some day....anyone have any donations??? A T-square, perhaps?

jaberwok
2005-10-10, 09:38 PM
Call me sentimental.....my company went to get rid of my drafting board: they told me I couldn't have it anymore; so, they let me take it home! It's one of those old, solid oak ones, that you either had to stand up or use a drafting stool to sit at - the kind I learned on, actually: not electric, just the good 'ole straight edge, having to use triangles to get the correct angle! (Actually I only used it as a layout table at work for the last 10 years, except for some quick changes to already plotted drawings. Now, it's my craft table!

I did that. Kept the board at home for 10 years before getting rid of it for a house move.

robert.1.hall72202
2005-10-11, 12:44 PM
Is that a use by date I see there? ;)

I also had a pull out table with a digitizer to go with my screen menu.
I was so dangerous running that now refered to as "junk pc",
with a tiny screen and a copy of R12.

macwizzy06
2005-10-24, 04:03 PM
FWIW, this is scheduled to be removed in the next release... I think

Nooooooooooooo. You'll agree that it's still useful to you and me (atleast once in a while)

edward.kohles
2006-02-24, 10:12 PM
I'm glad I could take everyone for a trip down memory lane.
However I just wanted to know if I could get the screen menu to work here.
I know how to turn it on but it doesn't seem to work and I was wondering why,
and is there a way to fix it.

jaberwok
2006-02-24, 11:14 PM
I just tried it briefly in A2006 - it worked.

chriskeats2010989932
2011-03-11, 09:31 PM
ha, im not the only one struggling to convert from old versions (2000 in my case) to 2010. i just solved this problem and think i can help. presuming you've done all the steps in autocad cui and options to have screen menus - which i did, and resulted in a blank screen menu. this is the solution if in windows 7. am guessing it wont be too much different in vister.

go to control panel
select display
select adjust cleartype text
follow the procedure, you may have to do it more than once making different selections
i luckily got it on the first go. when done i restored my acad tab and voila, screen menu items were there and working. if you need help setting them up, let me know

cheers

osnapendp407315
2011-03-11, 11:27 PM
ha, im not the only one struggling to convert from old versions (2000 in my case) to 2010. i just solved this problem and think i can help. presuming you've done all the steps in autocad cui and options to have screen menus - which i did, and resulted in a blank screen menu. this is the solution if in windows 7. am guessing it wont be too much different in vister.

go to control panel
select display
follow the procedure, you may have to do it more than once making different selections
i luckily got it on the first go. when done i restored my acad tab and voila, screen menu items were there and working. if you need help setting them up, let me know

cheers

I don't think it will be in 2012 so don't get used to it.

jaberwok
2011-03-11, 11:33 PM

go to control panel
select display

cheers

Just going to Options, Display tab and checking the box "Display screen menu" works for me.
{A2011 on Win_7 Ultimate x64.)
(but I don't use the ribbon)

Opie
2011-03-14, 04:15 PM
Just going to Options, Display tab and checking the box "Display screen menu" works for me.
{A2011 on Win_7 Ultimate x64.)
(but I don't use the ribbon)
This works for me, too, John. And I use the ribbon, sparingly. It is displayed anyway.