PDA

View Full Version : Phase Display problems

Isaacarus
2005-10-05, 02:54 PM
I can't Find and other threads on this. If anyone could direct me to one I would appreciate it. Here is my problem...

I have created a wall which includes wall sweeps. I then set the wall to the existing phase. It displays fine as long as I am viewing it in the New Construction phase. As soon as I set the view phase to Existing all the wall sweeps disappear.

Additionally when I set an existing window with in this same wall to be demolished, I get an error that says the phasing of the two entities does not match, infill can not be generated. It then Deletes the window from the wall in plan but it still shows in elevations and sections with the same view properties.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

ita
2005-10-05, 11:10 PM
Isaacarus, it could be because the wall was constructed after the "Existing" phase ( Iam asuming that the Existing phase is in a timeframe before the "New Construction" phase - so it will not be visible in Existing. If you want it to be visible in existing, go to the wall properties, go to the bottom of the DB and change the phase time selection.

jamesd10181097
2005-10-05, 11:20 PM
Make sure that all individual elements (wall, sweeps, windows) are set to existing if they are existing. Also check the demo phase setting on each.

If it is trying infill the window the window may be set to existing and also set to be demolished during existing. I have run into problems with that since I thought the demo would happen before new construction but the way revit work the demo is during new construction not before.

Isaacarus
2005-10-06, 04:25 PM
When I built the model I created all of the existing building first. I then Selected everything at once and a changed the "Phase Created" to Existing and the "Phase Demolished" to None. Is there a better approach to modeling existing conditions?

When the view properties are changed from showing the new construction phase to the existing, the sweeps disappear. See screen captures.

The walls shown are Stacked walls with embedded sweeps. I would think that if I set the wall to existing the embedded sweeps would also be set to existing. is this not the case? If have to select each embedded sweep to also be set to existing where do I do this? Also Why would they be greyed out in the new construction phase view?

I appreciate the help

jamesd10181097
2005-10-06, 04:36 PM
OK, I see what you problem is now, I did not fully understand it before.

I have a similar condition of an embedded sweep in an existing wall but mine is not giving me the problems your's is. Although mine are not stacked walls.

I have run into a couple problems with stacked walls in the past. For some reason the component walls of stacked walls will sometimes behave independent of each other. Perhaps it is another case of my lack of understanding how a tool works but I have adopted a policy of avoiding stacked walls.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Nice windows by the way.

ita
2005-10-06, 09:58 PM
Isaacarus, it would seem that you have created the model in a manner that would work. I would have created existing objects in the "Existing" phase but that is neither here nor there - on the other hand it might be.

I agree with James, that using stacked walls could be the issue. Personally I generally don't use stacked walls - they seem to have a number of issues that emerge later in the project when editing changes need to be made.

Suggestion - check your phase filters >Settings>Phases>Phase Filters>. I generally use a filter set which I call "Combined" for want of a better name for alteration work to existing structures. That filter set has selections of :
>New = By Category
>Existing = Overridden
>Demolished = Not Displayed
>Temporary = Not Displayed
. . . . which may be of help.

Another suggestion is to create the sweep wall in the "Existing" phase rather than changing its parameters after creating it. I will find a moment to experiment and see what happens.

Isaacarus
2005-10-07, 01:54 PM
Well I spent some time experimenting with it today. It seems Revit has a problem with creating the stacked wall with sweeps in new construction and then later changing it to existing. When I created the wall in the existing phase first it seems to work fine.

Any thoughts on why this occurs? Is this a bug?

If this is the case, any suggestions on how I might go about fixing the problem without modeling the entire existing building again?

abarrette
2005-10-07, 03:05 PM
Copy/cut and paste aligned the offending walls into an 'existing' view where the phase is set to existing already.

I think the issue stems from default functionality. When you change a hosts phase you don't change the hosted objects phase. The sweep, albeit embedded in the stacked wall, is still a hosted object.
HTH

Isaacarus
2005-10-07, 06:14 PM
The copy/ paste aligned worked. Everything displays properly now.

One more question...

If the embedded wall sweeps to do not change phases with the rest of the host wall, there must be a control for phasing embedded wall sweeps somewhere correct? If so where can I find this?

abarrette
2005-10-07, 07:00 PM
I would say it's just an issue with stacked walls. Not that this issue shouldn't be fixed but, perhaps it is a good time to review your process for entering existing information into Revit. I am a supporter of using a dedicated Existing view with the phasing set correctly. It helps eliminate mistakes and, while neither here nor there, would have side stepped this issue.

ita
2005-10-08, 10:48 AM
Absolutely agree abarrete - it is called discipline.8)