PDA

View Full Version : Managing a Separate Site and Building

artitech
2005-10-05, 05:22 PM
I understand that you can create worksets to have several people working on the same project and that you can link a building into a site plan - but what about if you want to maintain this relationship of a building linked to the site but also want to see the site when you are working on the building?

That is, is there a way so that two people can have a revit project with both the site and the plan but the site and the plan remain as two separate project files?

Does this make sense?

Scott D Davis
2005-10-05, 06:05 PM
Link the building into the site, and the site into the building.

artitech
2005-10-06, 03:07 AM
That's what I thought ... as simple as it sounds.

This brings another question, still related:

We have a site that is an odd shape and the bulding in relation to the site ( if you consider the top of your page as north) would not be on a simple north-south-east-west orientation to the page.

We need the property lines to remain accurate with the degrees-minutes-seconds bearings but for obvious reasons want to work on the floor plan with north to the top of the page... (we have had to rotate the building plan to suit the orientation of the dite plan).

With this scenario in mind (linking the site to the building and the building to the site), how would we maintain the property bearings of the site if we rotate the site to align with the plan drawn with north up (top of page)?

This is actually why I asked the question in the first place...???

Steve_Stafford
2005-10-06, 03:23 AM
When you link a bldg to a site project you have the option to share the position of the bldg with the bldg project itself so it "knows" what the correct true north orientation is.

Position the building X/Y and rotation as well as Z elevation first, then select the linked bldg and take a look at the properties for it. Notice the button that says "Not Shared". Click it and you have the opportunity to publish the position to the bldg file. When you save the site project Revit will now ask if you want to save the position information in the bldg file too.

Open the bldg project. Open the site view, it probably says Project North for Orientation. Change it to True North and watch the bldg rotate automatically, just because you published the orientation and position of the bldg in the site project to the bldg project already.

Now if you link the site project to bldg using the Automatic, shared position option you'll find the site "knows" how to site around the bldg.

Check out the tutorials for Shared Positioning.

P.S. This can be done to dwg files too...

artitech
2005-10-06, 10:33 AM
Steve,

Fantastic, I wish I had asked sooner....

Cory

artitech
2005-10-06, 11:34 AM
Scott / Steve,

I did exactly what you suggested and it works slick, however, an interesting issue arose once I linked the Site to the Building ...

Because I had already linked the Building to the Site, I get a copy of my Building on the Site with the Site when I link it to my Building ... (sounds like a comedy ski ... whose on second?...).

Is there some way that I can prevent my building from showing up as being linked to my Site when I link the Site back to my Building?

THX

Steve_Stafford
2005-10-06, 02:55 PM
Are you saying you have two copies of the bldg in the site project? If so just delete one, the one you didn't publish the positioning for.

artitech
2005-10-06, 09:01 PM
Steve,

When I opened an elevation view in my Building Project, I was seeing the level datums that I had showing in the same elevation view inside the Site Project (my site project has my building linked into it and I had setup some elevation views before I had started this thread)....

Anyway, I just went into my elevation view (within the Building Project) and selected VIEW - VISIBILITY / GRAPHICS and deselected the levels within the linked RVT file and everything worked fine.

Does this sound normal? Or have I done something else wrong?

Normally I wouldn't have set up my elevation views within the Site Project.

Cory

Steve_Stafford
2005-10-06, 09:42 PM
Yes, the nested project's levels, and even grids if there were any, will show up in the host as well.

artitech
2005-11-17, 06:56 PM
I hope someone is still following this thread....

I have another related question,

I have linked the building into the site and the site into the building....and have published the building's coordinates to the project file (allowing me to open the building project and have the site oriented to project north).

How then, can we now rotate the site file (which has the building linked) so that the site is oriented project north? We can do it in the Building File but want to do it in the Site File so we can work on it easier.

Help?

Steve_Stafford
2005-11-17, 08:50 PM
How then, can we now rotate the site file (which has the building linked) so that the site is oriented project north? We can do it in the Building File but want to do it in the Site File so we can work on it easier.Just rotate the crop region of a view so it is oriented better for you to work on. If the view is rotated it won't affect any of the documentation for the buildings etc. Just don't do this to a view that you are using for documentation purposes unless you want one for Project North orientation.

artitech
2005-11-18, 02:22 PM
Just rotate the crop region of a view so it is oriented better for you to work on. If the view is rotated it won't affect any of the documentation for the buildings etc. Just don't do this to a view that you are using for documentation purposes unless you want one for Project North orientation.

Steve,
That resolved it for us.

Many Thanks.

Cory :D