PDA

View Full Version : 1 Building with 3 projects

ejc
2005-10-07, 07:06 PM
Project 1 - Building Shell
includes: Site, Structure, Stairs, Elevator, Roof and Ext. Walls.

Project 2 - 1st and second Floor Buildout

Project 3 - 2nd floor buildout

I have set this up with phases. I works great!

PROBLEMS
1. Each project has it's own Project Number.Which means different Title Blocks.
2. Each project requires some of the same sheet numbers A1.01 Floor Plan, etc.

I guess there is no way to phase title blocks and project info?
I want to be able to apply shell changes (Project 1) to Projects 2 and 3.

What should I do?

Thanks,
ejc

bowlingbrad
2005-10-07, 07:30 PM
I would say Project 2 and Project 3 are separate project files that link in Project 1. Changes to Project 1 will reflect into the others.

Steve_Stafford
2005-10-07, 07:40 PM
Have you started this project? Sounds like you have? I wonder why separate files? Just because of the project number and numbering of sheets?

A prefix on sheets could allow the same "number" but identify a different project phase. The title block naming per project can just be three titleblock families that are identical except for the project info.

Is it too late to combine into one project? How did you do the interior room tags with a linked shell, room separation lines? How would you combine them now if you are already started? Copy to Clipboard from one project, paste into the other.

bsuccar
2005-10-08, 05:46 AM
I also see no need for separating your project into multiple files.
I'm currently helping on a medium-rise office building that hosts more than 20 fitout/relocation projects in one Revit file. Each project has its own number and name following the client's accounting requirements. The architects expect to maintain the model for eight years and the number of projects is set to rise significantly. Careful phasing, regular cleanup and use of shared parameters on (a single) titleblock works beautifully up till now.

mmodernc
2005-10-10, 08:37 PM
i.e. linking is only for campuses. Linking sacrifices a lot of Revit functionality. t is getting "better" but you lose a lot by not keeping it in one file.

ejc
2005-10-11, 10:56 AM
I have seen shared parameters pop up a few times in various forums. Can you give me the 30 sec. real world definition of a shared parameter. If anyone knows of a good tutorial please let me know.

I have spent a lot of time with phases and organized this building just to hack it up. With the shell not yet built, I know there will be changes. I want those changes to affect the individual designs, so the issues can be worked out.

Thanks,

ejc

Steve_Stafford
2005-10-11, 01:10 PM
...I have seen shared parameters pop up a few times in various forums. Can you give me the 30 sec. real world definition of a shared parameter...I've written about them and parameters in general, in several articles in my BLOG (http://revitoped.blogspot.com). Here's the Overview (http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2005/07/what-are-parameters-and-why-should-i.html).

ejc
2005-10-11, 09:05 PM
Thanks Steve! Nice site!