PDA

View Full Version : Tudor Style

kshawks
2005-10-07, 08:38 PM
I was wondering if anyone has completed a Tudor style house with Revit. We are working on renovating a Tudor style home. At this point in-time I have blocked out the building with generic walls. The part that I am second guessing myself on is the Timber/brick work. I confident that I could produce a in place family for the timber effect, I just don't know if sweeps are more appropriate for this. Any suggestions?

BWG
2005-10-07, 10:01 PM
I was wondering if anyone has completed a Tudor style house with Revit. We are working on renovating a Tudor style home. At this point in-time I have blocked out the building with generic walls. The part that I am second guessing myself on is the Timber/brick work. I confident that I could produce a in place family for the timber effect, I just don't know if sweeps are more appropriate for this. Any suggestions?

We have some, I guess you would call modified Tudor, with the trim work in the gables stepped out in front of stucco board. We do it with in place families and I think you will like the solid extrusions better than sweeps because you can control it a lot better. Be sure to use ref. planes and locking them appropriately will save you a lot of time when modeling them and later if things get moved.

Roger Evans
2005-10-07, 11:08 PM
For crying out loud guys what's wrong with using your own vernacular ??

Adobe for instance?

Failing that go for real life stuff (after all your clients have the money ) if you need more info PM me & I'll organise some product info

Roger Evans
2005-10-08, 07:30 PM
I remember Peter J posting something on this ~ it was a good while ago but sorry I can't see the thread

Doug
2005-10-08, 08:31 PM
What I have done is lock named ref planes to the exterior face of the walls I want to detail. Pick that ref plane and sketch my extrusion give it a thickness and assign it a material.

Roger Evans
2005-10-08, 09:57 PM
If I remember right Peter J did similar but plonked a wall in front of the main & edited with cut outs ~ made curved elements a bit easier to do

kshawks
2005-10-10, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I will go with the extrusions on a wall. That appears to be the easiest solution.

BWG
2005-10-10, 07:00 PM

Adobe for instance? Outside of New Mexico and Arizona, adobe is not vernacular. If they would have had something better than adobe, like they do now, they would not have used it in the first place.

Failing that go for real life stuff (after all your clients have the money ) if you need more info PM me & I'll organise some product info

Real life stuff is too expensive for the mainstream in the states, unfortunately. I wish I would have keep my last college newsletter regarding this subject. For all those who think they are creating like they "use" to.

Nevine
2005-10-10, 09:14 PM
If I understand you need the board that go on the wall?
Attached are a couple of boards, (generic wall hosted) that you can add to the wall to form the triming. One is a horizontal the other can be placed at any angle including 90d but no zero.

blads
2005-10-10, 10:18 PM
What I have done is lock named ref planes to the exterior face of the walls I want to detail. Pick that ref plane and sketch my extrusion give it a thickness and assign it a material.
That's how I've done it before...it works well

kshawks
2005-10-11, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the families I will give them a try on the other half of the building. I have initially tried the extrusion technique with success.

ita
2005-10-11, 01:45 PM
I find it amazing that today, most people would not consider having leach treatment or being "bled" for chronic joint inflamtion (gout), or drive a horse and cart, or throw their excrement into the streets from night pans kept under their (straw filled) beds - but they will actively seek to build and live in a structure that has no relevance to the society they live in - like a half timbered "Tudor"?? house that was the highest level of structural technology some 500 years ago as were the the level of medical knowledge, modes of transport and sanitary engineering .:screwy:

The owners will furnish these structures with hot and cold water, electrically illuminate (instead of candles or lard lamps) and power their coffee machines, HW kettles, microwaves etc, install spa gaths and air conditioning and even park their 21 century vehicles in the adjoining half timbered garage.:-?

Delusional:rolleyes:

Joef
2005-10-11, 02:17 PM
The "Tudor" style houses that I encounter are merely decorative. They aren't actually building in a 500 year old fashion. It is no different than Colonial style or any other "style" of home. It is a matter of taste (or lack thereof).

Joe

Nevine
2005-10-11, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the families I will give them a try on the other half of the building. I have initially tried the extrusion technique with success.

The nice thing about using the family is that you don't have to always pick the working plane. You can go to the elevation and the family will be attracted to wall. I do all my decorative trims this way and then I can reuse them in other projects.

ita
2005-10-12, 02:41 AM
Joe, that I understand, What I have difficulty understanding, is why someone would want a building that comes from another society in another time? Even if it is only decoration . . . hmmm maybe that is even worse than actually constructing a properly replicated structure!

As Roger commented (which I missed earlier . . . :Oops: . . . sorry Roger; so much more succinct compared to my little rave!!:Puffy: )

Adobe for instance?
There should be global law against it . . . and the United Nations could provide Style Police who can exercise severe penalties against all involved :grin: . . . like a real/actual (not pseudo virtual) reality TV show "Life in a Tudor Village" - 13 weeks of the reality of Tudor life and there would be no getting out!!! Of course that holds for all style replication - even replicated Bali houses or . . . ehemm . . . "Tuscan Villas" in the 'burbs of Western Australia.

I find it all rather a sad indictment on western society that we would rather "fake it" than live in the constructs of our own space and time or at least be representative of our locality and society.

In West Oz there is now a movement by planners (who have managed to hijack design and style as a planning criteria . . and are dictating the terms of the style) to create precincts of "like styles". So we are now having to fight for the right to construct dwellings that reflect 21st C housing in a Mediterranean type climate, are designed for that climate type and culture and are reflective of our society - rather that slavishly copy dwellings forms of 100 years ago that reflected dwellings styles of the time from of old mother England - that the planners feel create the feel of a precinct!

Thanks for the opportunity for the rant . . I have got it off my chest and I feel much better now!

Steve_Stafford
2005-10-12, 03:12 AM
Didn't this thread start out saying that they were renovating a Tudor style home? Not building one from scratch? Weren't they just asking for advice how to model such a dwelling in Revit?

Joef
2005-10-12, 03:38 AM
Ian, I agree. I would like to see a lot more contemporary architecture, particularly in residential. There is a lot of junk out there that is selling like crazy. Our cities reflect our culture and frankly our culture is dominated by junk as well. I try not to dwell on it. (or in it for that matter).

Joe

Wes Macaulay
2005-10-12, 03:59 PM
Ian and Roger: I'm well known for being an anti-Tudor bigot in my office... so I laugh heartily at your words, and heartily agree!

J-G
2005-10-13, 04:20 PM
We do a lot of Tudor style homes for mountain residences. The wall hosted families are the way to go. I have done it both ways, and if you have a lot to do, you will find that the families are much faster. I will attach a few other families that I use. One is a vertical board with an arch in it, the other trim for the windows.

As far as style is concerned, I would much rather the UN, or whomever, create a law that regulated some of the modern architecture that lacks any character, visual texture, or proportion for that matter. I good friend of mine has published a few articles on the subject: http://www.proportions.de/

Whatever styles used in the past, it is quite clear to most traveling observers that the designers of the past cared more for the way their structures actually looked. They created villages and even whole cities that were filled with variation and yet tied together by a sense of unity - even when varying styles were used. In modern cities, perhaps especially in southern California, many of our developments lack any sense of rhythm or even unity. For this reason many of our clients who have traveled seem to want to recreate what they have seen abroad. If modernized architects executed their philosophies with greater artistic creativity, perhaps our clients would be asking for homes with a modern flair.

Roger Evans
2005-10-13, 05:37 PM
I think you can do a hell of a lot using Tudor frame in a contemporary idiom As you can with Japanese Traditional & I would prefer to explore those avenues & also see them explored more fruitfully by others.

Roger Evans
2005-10-14, 01:27 AM
Not quite the example I was looking for but still

ita
2005-10-14, 02:09 AM
Hey, a Tudor car:grin:

Joef
2005-10-14, 03:10 AM
I think if you look closely it's a Fourdoor :-)