PDA

View Full Version : Posting Samples of Revit Structure Plans

Wagurto
2005-10-07, 10:11 PM
I am trying to envolve my structural engineer in revit structures and he is curiose of how revit structure plans looks like. Is there any gallery or can someone using revit structure can post a sample pdf file of how a framing plans looks like?
thanks

Tom Weir
2005-10-10, 04:18 PM
Hi,
Attached find a sample framing plan from a four story classroom building we did. I hope that helps.

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

david_peterson
2005-10-13, 03:55 PM
I know that it can do plans. I've seen about 10 different sales pitches by different vender's. They all showed me a bunch of different plans and pretty pictures and 3d massings, and rendered models and fly bys.......etc.....

What I have yet to see is a group of details. It's amazing to me that everyone wants to talk plans. The last project I worked on had 4 sheets of plans and 40 sheets of details. It would seem to me that you spend about 50% or less of your time on plans and 50% or more on details. So why in all of the demo's (for both Revit and ADT and a few other) I haven't seen 1 single detail, or sheet of details and the only answer I've ever gotten is "Oh, details are super easy with this program. They almost draw themselves". But I still haven't seen it done.

Can someone please post a sheet of details, and give an honest answer what detailing is like with Revit. I know ADT has their "detail component manager", but OOTB you'd need to modify just about all of the detail elements in order to get them to look right. Layering in ADT's detail component manger makes no sense all all. (Unless you're an Archie...A-fine, A-wide...)
I don't know about you, but is it to much to ask to get a piece of steel, detail or plan to come in on a layer like say "s-stel"?

david.kingham
2005-10-13, 04:56 PM
Detailing in revit is very easy, no worries about layers, just drop in the components you need, I rarely have to draw lines. Here is an example, I know it's not a structural detail but it gives you an idea

david_peterson
2005-10-13, 06:58 PM
Here's an example of what I need to do on a regular basis.

This page of details was about a days worth of work (Including coordination).
When I drew these the first time the only info I was give was where they were cut on the plan, and a rough hand sketch showing the concept of the reinforcing.

These are the kinds of examples I'd be looking for. Not to sit here and bang away on software vendors, but anyone can make a pretty picture, not everyone can make the picture build-able.

gkite
2005-10-13, 08:02 PM
The attached drawing is an example of some foundation details of an augercast pile foundation system for a project that our office is currently working on.

Please note that this is a work in progress and some work needs to be done in order for the sections to appear more refined. Nonetheless, the various sections shown are all taken directly from the model with only dimensions, rebar and notes added on this sheet.

This work shown on this sheet took approximately three hours to reach this level and I emphasize that it is not complete. I am posting this only to show that detailing is indeed quite easy in Revit although it is not quite as "sharp" as the same detailing would typically be if drawn in AutoCAD. However, we are Revit novices and I am confident that the presentations issues will be overcome.

erikbjur
2005-10-13, 09:10 PM
Just to throw my two cents in... here is a wood building. Pretty straight forward, but just to prove Revit can do more that concrete and steel. I modeled everything except hangers and nails. It is still a work in progress.

kmarsh
2005-10-14, 02:34 PM
Erik,
Those sheets were great! Definitely want to see more of these types of sheets if others would be willing to post them.

I'm really really curious how you managed some of the features. Did you do a lot of family creation to make it happen? how did you get the wood trusses in? Custom family? just added reference planes in section views and added the sloped members there? how did you get some of these things to trim up (e.g., rafter bird's mouths)? How did you do the walls with ply and double top plate? are each of the members actual structural components? or are they wall assemblies with sweeps? At your roof edge detail where you've shown your shear blocking, the top of the blocking is beveled to match the roof slope: did you make a custom family for this, or do you have some trimming/joining tricks to share? Do tell, I'd bet there are others that are just as curious.

Thanks a bunch for posting those. They're great examples. Just out of further curiosity, what do you think would happen if you moved one of your walls? do you think most stuff would come with it? do you think you'd have a major cleanup? I guess I'm asking how locked in you feel with the model at this point.

If you have a few minutes, I'd be interested in seeing a 3d view of your model without the plywood. It would be nice to get a feel for how much was modeled and how much was added in detail view.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing.

erikbjur
2005-10-14, 06:48 PM
For the most part, all of the structural members are modeled with the stock Revit families. I had to add some column families, like (2) 2x6 studs and other double member columns. I didn't touch the beam families. The trusses shown in the details are detail component families. The beveled blocking is a detail component, as are most of the other blocking items. If the object will show up in more than one view, I will model it. I am experimenting with modeling trusses but haven't figured a faster way to do them. I am getting close though, so stay tuned. The shear walls are copies of the normal walls with the ply added. I unlocked the bottom of the plywood so that I can stretch it down. The double top plates are detail components. I have experimented with adding sweeps to the wall family but didn't like the results when two different wall widths joined. It left a diagonal line at the intersection. ??? I can't figure that one out. I lock the components to the grid or to the floor level. It doesn't slow things down that I have noticed. As far at trimming out the model, most of my detail components have a "wipe out" behind them. So I don't have to worry about trimming lines and using the linework tool. I don't use any lines, or at least very few (less than 10 for all of the details). Everything that is not modeled is a detail component. Things are still evolving. All of this was done in Revit Building. Each time they come out with new features, I change the way I do things. I am just getting started with Revit Structures. I will probably change things a lot more when I get more dialed in. I exported some 3d pictures. Let me know if you need more.

kmarsh
2005-10-14, 09:30 PM
Here's a sample of one of David Peterson's details done in RS. Some of the things I found difficult or implausible were the dimension lines with text on them, perhaps RS will provide this feature in the future. and there is no way (that I can find) to conveniently put elevation markers (targets) on with text. It seems to only want to let you put actual "levels" in with the targets...

Tom Weir
2005-10-17, 05:15 PM
<and there is no way (that I can find) to conveniently put elevation markers (targets) on with text. It seems to only want to let you put actual "levels" in with the targets...>

Hi,
Have you tried the spot elevation tag feature on the Drafting menu? It will provide elevations to the top of objects, and the tag can be configured with a target. Unfortunately it does not do bottom of object tags.

Hey, I am going to put that as a wish-list item.
Tom Weir
Los Angeles

blads
2005-10-25, 12:16 AM
For the most part, all of the structural members are modeled with the stock Revit families. I had to add some column families, like (2) 2x6 studs and other double member columns. I didn't touch the beam families. The trusses shown in the details are detail component families. The beveled blocking is a detail component, as are most of the other blocking items. If the object will show up in more than one view, I will model it. I am experimenting with modeling trusses but haven't figured a faster way to do them. I am getting close though, so stay tuned. The shear walls are copies of the normal walls with the ply added. I unlocked the bottom of the plywood so that I can stretch it down. The double top plates are detail components. I have experimented with adding sweeps to the wall family but didn't like the results when two different wall widths joined. It left a diagonal line at the intersection. ??? I can't figure that one out. I lock the components to the grid or to the floor level. It doesn't slow things down that I have noticed. As far at trimming out the model, most of my detail components have a "wipe out" behind them. So I don't have to worry about trimming lines and using the linework tool. I don't use any lines, or at least very few (less than 10 for all of the details). Everything that is not modeled is a detail component. Things are still evolving. All of this was done in Revit Building. Each time they come out with new features, I change the way I do things. I am just getting started with Revit Structures. I will probably change things a lot more when I get more dialed in. I exported some 3d pictures. Let me know if you need more.
Great work in both modelling & detailing. Thanks for posting the images.

David Sammons
2005-11-02, 12:25 AM
Attached is a set of structural drawings prepared using Revit Building (before Revit Structure was even available). Since preparing these drawing, we have prepared many more using Revit and I am convinced that we can prepare plans, sections and details better in Revit than AutoCAD or ADT.

blads
2005-11-02, 03:59 AM
Attached is a set of structural drawings prepared using Revit Building (before Revit Structure was even available). Since preparing these drawing, we have prepared many more using Revit and I am convinced that we can prepare plans, sections and details better in Revit than AutoCAD or ADT.
I couldn't agree more with you David, re plans, drawings...
An equally nice set of detail sheets

Terry Jordan
2005-11-14, 10:31 PM
David, I'm curious to know how you created your General Notes sheet. Is the text imported from Word directly into Revit or is it an imported AutoCAD drawing or what? I've found that keeping the correct formatting when importing from Word is almost impossible in Revit. It's one of the big hurdles we're finding in implementing RS.

David Sammons
2005-11-15, 08:47 PM
Terry,

For now, I do not think you can maintain the WORD formating (bullets, numbering, etc.) when you cut and paste from WORD into Revit.

I created the General Notes sheet as follows:

1. Create a notes drawing sheet in a Revit 'Project Template' with the notes PREARRANGED.

2. Use the 'Project Template' when starting a project.

3. Copy UNFORMATTED text from a WORD document and paste the text onto the notes drawing sheet.

You can create the prearranged notes sheet in a project without the 'Project Template'. However, the 'Project Template' allows you to use the prearranged notes on every project you start with this template.

I use this method for now because Revit does not seem to recognize the WORD formating for bullets and numbering. This works well for me although it is a bit cumbersome to make sure the note numbers align with the appropriate notes.

Attached is an .rvt file containing the project template with the prearranged notes.

Dave S.

mikemck
2005-11-16, 02:11 AM
I have had moderate success first saving a Word document as an RTF (rich text format) file and then bringing that into Revit. It preserves numbering. I haven't tried bullets.

In Revit I still have to play around with tabs and width of the text block.

Serhan_BAKIR
2005-12-09, 01:56 PM
Hi,
I've been following Revit Stucture and curious about the shop drawing and detailing capabilities. Some says I can do anything that I want with RS, another says this software is not developed for detailing purposes etc. I'm attaching two sample drawings of a R/C building with flat slab, one of it is the floor plan and the other is the reinforcement layout. I would apreciate it very much if you please take a look at the files and give your opinion on whether it is possible to create such drawings with revit or its still autocads territory to generate them. thanks

David Sammons
2005-12-09, 02:32 PM
While I have not produced structural shop drawings using RS, I have prepared detailed contract drawings (plans, sections, details, notes, etc.) using Revit Building or Revit Structure. I have done this exclusively with RB or RS without resorting to AutoCAD or any other 2D CAD application.

Therefore, I am confident you can prepare the drawings you show in the attachments using RS. These drawings would be plan views from a RS model with text, annotations and detail components added for the reinforcing, reinforcing marks, notes, etc. You could then cut sections and elevations through the model to show the reinforcing details in section and elevation. I think that you will find RS detailing capabilities to be very powerfully.

You can even take this to the next level and actually model the reinforcing in RS using the 'Sketch Rebar' and 'Place Rebar' modeling tools. However, the reinforcing in section shows up as thin lines and does not represent the actual diameter of the reinforcing. There are some other limitations if you choose to model the reinforcing in RS. Hopefully, these limitations will be addressed in future releases since including the reinforcing in the model opens doors for scheduling the reinforcing for quantity take-offs, bill of materials and other reporting purposes.

Dave S.

jmctamney
2006-02-28, 02:34 PM
Here is a quick sample of a floor framing plan and some sections. On the S400 sheet details 1-7 are linked to an acad drawing we use for typical details and the rest are all generated in RS. I threw in the 3D view just for fun

erikbjur
2006-02-28, 06:28 PM
Nice work. Very clean drawings which are easy to understand. Even the autocad details came throught nice.