PDA

View Full Version : Baluster to tread

trent59822
2005-10-08, 08:04 PM
I looked around previous forums, but I can't seem to find if there is a way to have the bottom of the baluster attach to the tread. I think Revit will let me do this. But I'm not sure how. Anyone have any wisdom regarding this?

beegee
2005-10-09, 01:50 AM
Hi Trent,

Open the baluster family. Locate the cut extrusion ( cutting the balusters to the railing and stringer angles ) Edit the extrusion and delete the lower portion that provides the cut to the stringer line. Delete the lower miscellaneous Ref Planes and lock the baluster bottom to the Level Ref Plane.

Rename and load the baluster into the project and substitute that baluster for the previous in the railing family.

HTH

zanzibarbob7
2005-10-10, 09:01 PM
BeeGee,

I have been trying your method with a standard monolithic stair and square baluster/railing as comes from one of the default selections. There is something I am missing. I got it to work once but I should be able to make the changes in a matter of less than a minute. I am not. Here is how I proceeding:

Open the square baluster family
Save with new name
Locate void extrusion then delete
Delete lower reference plane
Align and lock the bottom of baluster to Ref. Level
Save and load into project
Edit bluster and select newly created baluster, Apply then OK

I still do not get the balusters to reach the tread. Where am I going wrong?

Mr Spot
2005-10-10, 09:33 PM
Check to make sure the rail sketch is drawn on the boundary of the stair. Seems to stop working if its been relocated at all, and certainly won't extend if the balusters are not actually over the stair.

HTH.