PDA

View Full Version : Aubin's new Revit book

cliff collins
2005-10-10, 08:42 PM
Does anyone know when Paul Aubin's Revit book will be released?
saw a lnk to Amazon site which says not yet available?

cheers.....

david.kingham
2005-10-10, 09:01 PM
Says October 15th on amazon

kyeric
2005-10-10, 10:38 PM
What say the masses towards the release of this book? Is this the best route for the new Reviteers to take, or is their another text that lends itself to helping the not-so-beginners? I have seen the posts where Jims book was suggested, but I am wondering what other people's experiences were with the books they have...

thanks!

-e

david.kingham
2005-10-10, 10:45 PM
Paul's books on ADT are great, probably the best out there. This is his first revit book though and I don't think he has been using it for very long, I'll probably get a copy and check it out, only time will tell....

Scott D Davis
2005-10-10, 11:22 PM
He is teaching a class at AU, on Revit Basics. I would expect his book (Titled Mastering Autodesk Revit) to cover the basics really well, and possibly get into some of the more advanced stuff. As you said, he has been using Revit for a short time, although I'm sure he has come up to speed pretty quickly. (As we all know, Revit isn't hard to learn!)

Others that have written books have more experience, and I don't know of anyone with more Revit experience than Jim Balding. He's been using Revit since before it was released to the public, which makes him one of the few pre-beta Revit 1.0 users out there, besides the Factory Team.

Danny Polkinhorn
2005-10-11, 12:55 AM
Agree with the others, Paul's books are quite good and I wouldn't expect him to release one without a good understanding of the product. He also welcomes feedback, so be sure to let him know if there's something that's not quite right. Like David, I'll probably pick up a copy just to see what's in it.

If you buy it from Amazon through his website (http://www.paulaubin.com), he'll get a few extra pennies. However, I don't see it there yet.

mlgatzke
2005-10-11, 04:07 AM
I spoke with Paul at last year's AU. I wanted to get his feelings on the Revit-ADT rift. He said, at that time, that he hadn't had a chance to get his hands on Revit yet, but "looks like it could have a few interesting capabilities".

I have his book on backorder and will receive it when it ships (publishers love teachers). I'll let you all know my impressions when I've had a chance to review it.

As far as Chris & Jim's book (let's not forget about Chris Fox), the new edition has been completely re-vamped. I've only had a short time to browse through it and compare it to the first edition. The new edition has alot more material in it. The illustrations are much clearer (though there are problems with some of the illustrations) and the rewrite seems to clarify much of the existing material and allow it to make MUCH more sense to a beginning Revit user.

However, if you are looking for a more advanced text, I would recommend Cyril Verley's courseware. Currently, it's two books - one on the basics and the other on Commercial architectural use. He had intended to release a residential courseware book, but it never materialized. These books are written for an older version of Revit (I believe 5.1), but the material is still pertinent in the current version. However, the Commercial architecture book is for a more in-depth investigation into Revit and is not for the Revit-newbie.

I would suggest Chris & Jim's book. It is a required text for my students learning Revit. I think it would serve you well.