PDA

View Full Version : dimension text edit

tect75
2005-10-10, 08:55 PM
ok this is annoying. havent been able to find this anywhere but with what my reading skills are lately i probably missed it. i want to have a dimension that doesn't show a distance. i want to edit the text to read something entirely different. can i do that. rather than say 6'-8" i want to put in the text first floor addition in int place. cant figure out how to edit the text.

rsharp
2005-10-10, 09:19 PM
You can always place text with an opaque background over the dimension text. Don't copy that text to another place because it doesn't mask dimension text if it is copied text for some reason.

Merlin
2005-10-10, 10:02 PM
ok this is annoying. havent been able to find this anywhere but with what my reading skills are lately i probably missed it. i want to have a dimension that doesn't show a distance. i want to edit the text to read something entirely different. can i do that. rather than say 6'-8" i want to put in the text first floor addition in int place. cant figure out how to edit the text.

Unfortunately, there isn't a text over-ride (like in AutoCAD). You can however, add text as a prefix or suffix (see those fields in the PROPERTIES dialogue box) e.g. "600 OVERHANG"; you just can't get rid of the numerical value.

A possible wishlist item?

John Mc

Scott D Davis
2005-10-10, 10:31 PM
On the other side: FORTUNATELY there is not a dimension text override like AutoCAD.

Yes, there are times when a dimension-like annotation could be used to express a text notation, and I'm sure the Factory is aware of this. But at the same time, the ability to over ride dimension text has been left out of Revit for a good reason: there is no reason to fake a dimension! The building model should be accurate, and thus the dimensions should be accurate. More times than I can count, RFI's have uncovered problems in AutoCAD drawings where an over-ridden dimension caused problems during construction. In fact, over-ridden AutoCAD dimensions caused so much problems that many people have written LISP routines to find over-ridden dimensions and reset the default value.

I think the factory will come up with an elegant solution for an annotation type that can contain only text, but still look like a dimension.