PDA

View Full Version : Layer key overrides

RobertB
2005-10-11, 06:21 PM
For the firms that have been using ABS for a while...

Do you find that you tend to make more layer keys and stay away from overrides? Such as making a key for DUCTSUPPLY vs. just an override on DUCT?

andyw
2005-10-11, 07:22 PM
The only time we use overrides is for the status (demo, existing, phasing, etc.). All other situations we make a new key style.

RobertB
2005-10-11, 09:09 PM
The only time we use overrides is for the status (demo, existing, phasing, etc.). All other situations we make a new key style.Did you use the AIA stlye OOTB as a base, or create your own from scratch? How did you handle the 3 disciplines if you used the AIA, add/modify each 3 times?

andyw
2005-10-12, 03:49 PM
Did you use the AIA stlye OOTB as a base, or create your own from scratch? How did you handle the 3 disciplines if you used the AIA, add/modify each 3 times?

I wanted to start from scratch, but after a lot of thought, I decided that would be too much work. Starting from scratch would entail reassigning layer keys to every piece of content. A daunting task to say the least. Instead, I started with the OOTB template and modified it to our needs. I made new layer keys for our main content and left less used content on their original keys. Overrides for all of our most used layer keys also had to be made. (I forgot to mention in my previous post that we also use overrides for above and below.) So for Supply Ductwork, there are 8 layer keys made for all the combinations of overrides we use. Attached is our layer file for reference. Most of the layer key names I made start with: DUCT- , ELEC- , PIPE- .

I also tweaked the layer standard. I moved the status field from the end of the layer name to the second digit, next to the discipline designator. Attached is a document showing the format. I did this so all the demo for a discipline is listed together in the layer manager. For example, the original standard would have been M-Duct-Supp-D and M-Duct-Retn-D. Our standard is MD-Duct-Supp and MD-Duct-Retn and will be listed together for easier access.

How do you plan to set up your system? I'm always up for modifying our system if better methods come along.

Andrew

ljones.27809
2005-10-24, 05:26 PM
Andyw

What is the AIA OOTB? I have been trying to figure out the layers in ABS and I don't understand how they work. I have looked in the AecbLayerStd5.dwg file and there seems to be a lot of duplicate layers and the MEP layers are all over the place and not all of the layers are listed.

I have looked at the drawing you posted and I was wondering how you were able list all of the MEP layers? There is such limited information and educational material on ABS.

andyw
2005-10-25, 04:46 PM
Andyw

What is the AIA OOTB? I have been trying to figure out the layers in ABS and I don't understand how they work. I have looked in the AecbLayerStd5.dwg file and there seems to be a lot of duplicate layers and the MEP layers are all over the place and not all of the layers are listed.

I have looked at the drawing you posted and I was wondering how you were able list all of the MEP layers? There is such limited information and educational material on ABS.

I'll try to explain layering as best I can; starting with the very basics. All examples are based on my setup which will vary from the original setup.

The AIA Out of the Box setup is what came with the ABS installation. That would be the "AecbLayerStd5.dwg" you referred to. For my companies needs, this was very limited. For instance, there was only one layer set aside for ductwork ((M-Duct) see the next paragraph for more information). We like our ductwork on more descriptive layers based on the type of duct. For example: M-Duct-Retn for return air duct or M-Duct-Supp for supply. So all the additional layer keys you see in my file were created and assigned to each duct system definition, electrical device definition, and plumbing system definition. Let me know if you need an explanation of how to create a layer key and assign it.

I'll try not to make this too confusing but you should be aware the layering can be set up in many different ways. Go into a duct system definition and pick the Design Rules tab. At the top right is where you assign a layer key. Also notice the Override box directly below it. If you leave all the overrides blank, the program will use the layer associated with the layer key. So the default of M-Duct would be used. If you select Minor 1 and input "Retn", the program will use the original layer associated with the key, but add Retn...the duct will then be drawn on the M-Duct-Retn layer. You could set up a duct system definition for each type of duct, have it use the same layer key, and set an override to generate a unique name for each type. I decided not to use this method. The drawback is that the new layer (M-Duct-Retn) created from the override is generated from the original layer (M-Duct). Therefore it takes on the same color, linetype, lineweight, etc. as the original layer. If you create a unique layer key for each system definition you will have full control over the layer properties (as described in the first paragraph).

There are also different ways to set up layering for new, demo, existing, phasing, etc. I'll assume you will choose to go with separate layer keys for each system definition. Notice in my layer key file, I have 8 layer keys set up for each type of duct with the only difference is the Status. This covers new, demo, existing, above grade, below grade and combinations like existing below. There are two methods to call on these layer keys. The first I don't recommend but I'll explain both and let you decide which to use. Method 1 would be to create a separate system definition for each layer key. Sticking with ductwork as an example, 8 system definitions would be required for each type of duct. This could mean hundreds of system definitions you'd have to sort through each time you add duct. Not very productive. Method 2 is much cleaner. Set up a system definition for each type of duct and assign the layer key. To use the other layer keys, you will assign layer overrides. But not in the same way as mentioned above. Instead, go to the "Format" pulldown menu, pick "Layer Management", and finally "Layer Key Overrides..." (there is also a toggle on the drawing status bar for easier access). The dialog box will have a series of fields starting with "Discipline Designator". The list seen here can be modified. For our setup, I have moved the "Status" field to be second in the list instead of last. I did this so all mechanical demo will be grouped together in the layer manager. Let me know if you would like to change yours and I can walk you through it. If you put a "D" in the status value, the program will look at the original layer in the layer key and add the "D" (M-Duct-Retn will become MD-Duct-Retn) Since you have a layer key set up that has the MD-Duct-Retn layer defined, the layer properties will be pulled from this key instead of the original. Example: M-Duct Retn is set up to be color red with a lineweight of .016 and a continuous linetype. When the "D" status override is set to indicate demo, the program generates the MD-Duct-Retn layer and makes it color 26 with a dashed linetype and a lineweight of .016. Now change the status to "E" for existing and the layer ME-Duct-Retn is generated and makes it color 23 with a continuous linetype and a lineweight of .006. Turn off the override and you are back to drawing new duct.

As you can see, this can get involved. I assure you, after you get the hang of what is happening, it will seem quite simple. If you need further explanation on anything I've written or about anything I left out, don't hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Andrew

ljones.27809
2005-11-02, 06:38 PM
Wow!! First of all this is all very helpful so thank you for sharing. Yes I will need your assistance to walk me thru how to create a layer key and assign it. I will also love to know how to change the order of the fields in the 'Layer Key Overrides' dialog box.

Did you learn all this on your own? I took a 3 day training class that our AutoCAD vendor provided and I was not able to get an answer on how to do everything that you just explained to me.

Thank goodness for AUGI and people like you that are willing to share your knowledge.

andyw
2005-11-03, 09:30 PM
Lets start by editing the layer standard:

Open your Layer Standards file (AecbLayerStd5.dwg). Go into the "Layer Manager". Pick the left most icon called "Layer Standards". A Dialog box will come up that has something like "ABS - AIA 2nd Edition". Select this and pick the "Edit" button. Under the "Component Fields" tab will be a column of Field Names. This shows the order the layer will be constructed. To change the order, delete/add Fields as required. The "Optional" column simply specifies whether a layer must use that field or not. The "Max Width" column specifies how many letters will make up each field. The "Fixed Width" column specifies whether the layer must use the number of letters specified in the "Max Width" column or any number of letters up to a maximum set in the "Max Width". "Wildcard" determines if a field can use letters, numbers, both, or other. "Match Description" specifies whether a field must match a description set in the "Edit Descriptions" tab. "Delimeter" sets what symbol is used to separate the fields. "Default" should be self explanatory. Go to the "Edit Descriptions" tab. Here you construct a list of predefined values to use when making a new layer. Pick the popdown arrow next to "Field to Edit". This list of fields will match what you have set up but may be in a different order (doesn't matter). Select "Discipline Designator". This is the first part of your layer and is usually made of one letter, "M" for mechanical for instance. Add or delete all the possible disciplines your company will use. Do the same for each Field. Now go back to the "Component Fields" tab. If the "Match Description" column has "Yes", this means only predefined description can be used. If the column has "No", predefined descriptions or user input can be used. More about this later.

To create a layer key:

Open your Layer Standards file (AecbLayerStd5.dwg). Go up to the "Format" menu pulldown and pick "Style Manager". Go to "Multi-Purpose Objects", and finally to "Layer Key Styles" (you can also get to this by opening Layer Manager and picking the Layer Key Styles icon). Open "Mech-Elec - AIA 256 Color" or whatever is listed. On the right part of the dialog box you will see columns starting with "Layer Key", "Description", etc. Pick the "Add" button at the bottom right to make a new key style. The "Key Style" is nothing more than a name. Make the name descriptive enough you will be able to recognize its use later on. The "Description" can be left blank or filled in. Under the Layer Name", notice the small box with 3 periods. Pick on it. A layer name dialog box will appear. This is used to construct a layer according to the format you specified above. Pick the small box with 3 periods across from "Discipline Designator". This dialog box will have the list of descriptions you created above. Select one (M for example). Do the same for the "Major" field. Select one and pick OK. Notice how the layer name is being generated for you? Remember the "Match Description" part of creating a layer standard above? Here is where it comes into play. If the "Match Description" column has "Yes" as a value, you must select a pre-specified value when creating the layer. Usually the Discipline Designator and Status field are set up in this way. If the "Match Description" column has "No" as a value, you can still select a pre-specified value or type in your own value. Fill in the rest of your layer settings. The last column is labeled "Allow Overrides". This simply specifies if a certain field can have an override. A layer will almost never need a Discipline Designator override and almost always need a Status override. Allowing Overrides doesn't mean a field has to have an override, it means it can have an override if needed. Keep in mind, the "Allow Overrides" toggles can't be set until the layer name is made and the Apply button has been picked. The program needs to determine the layer meets the layer standard before it will allow overrides.

Thus far all these changes have been made to the layer standards file. These changes need to be added to your ABS template drawing. Keep the layer standards file open and also open your template drawing. Go back into "Style Manager". Notice both drawings are listed. Copy the Layer Key Style (Mech-Elec - AIA 256 Color or whatever one you edited) from the layer standards file and into your template file. It will ask if you want to overwrite the existing file, pick yes. Save and close both drawings.

Now your layer standard is set and the layer key style has been made. Now the easy part, assigning the Layer Key Style to a system definition. Start a new drawing (or make this in your template if you want). Make a new HVAC System Definition. Under the "Design Rules" tab there will be a "Layer Key" heading. Pick the popdown box and scroll until you find the Layer Key Name you want. That's it. Applying a layer key to electrical system definitions or plumbing system definitions is the same.

You should be all set.

Andrew

RobertB
2005-11-04, 05:38 PM
Might I suggest that it is a bad idea to edit the AecbLayerStd5.dwg file, as that might be overwritten by an upgrade. I performed a SaveAs of that file to a new drawing name, and use that new drawing for the standards.

ljones.27809
2005-11-10, 04:23 AM
Andy,

I made a new HVAC systems definition under the Duct System Definitions and then I click on the 'Design Rules' tab and at the 'Layer Key' there are no layers to select. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Also when I copied my layer key style from my standard layers file into my template file I am not asked if I want to overwrite the existing file. My layers are added in the template file but I noticed that the changes I made in 'Edit Descriptions' did not carry over to my template unfortunately all the disciplines that I filter out are now there.

I also made a copy of the 'AecbLayerStd5.dwg' and modified it so thanks for the suggestion Robert.

andyw
2005-11-11, 04:15 PM
Check that the correct layer standard is specified in your template. Since you ranamed your layer standards file, you need to specify that as your new standards file. Go into "Drawing Setup" and pick the "Layer" tab.

ljones.27809
2005-11-14, 03:26 AM
I tried that and it did not work. I was wondering if I have to insert the layers drawing as a block into the 'ABS Model (Imperial Ctb).dwt' template?

If so is there anyway to start every new drawing with this template automatically? How about for existing drawings that were created in AutoCAD R14?

Sorry about all of the questions but your help is appreciate it.

andyt
2005-11-15, 04:38 PM
Could you post your template and layer standards file? It is hard to guess what is happening.

ljones.27809
2005-11-21, 05:34 PM
Sorry for the delay in response.... the layers I created are in the 'Layer Key' drop down list in my system definitions. I don't know what I was doing wrong before my mistake.

I added the layers to the ABS template and I will modify and add all additional system definitions in the template drawing which we will use to start new drawings.

Also since we are going from AutoCAD R14 to ABS 2006 in a matter of weeks I have found out that in order to continue working on our current AutoCAD R14 projects all of our existing drawings will have to be inserted as blocks into the ABS template and then 'Save as' to overwrite existing drawings which will then have the ABS 2006 layers and system definitions needed to continue our work.

Thanks for all your help.

andyt
2005-11-21, 11:42 PM
Glad I could help.

bcpratt
2006-02-21, 09:47 PM
I've been trying to figure the layer standards/layer keys out and think I have it, no small thanks to the posts here.

In looking at AndyW's files, it looks like he set up a number of layer keys for air devices. Based on this, I'm assuming you created a bunch of new air devices on these layer keys? Seems like a lot of work considering that part of the catalog isn't severely lacking. Is there an *easy* way to re-associate mvparts with new/different layer keys? TIA