PDA

View Full Version : trouble importing a survey into revit

steve.89614
2005-10-11, 11:20 PM
This survey was done in auto cad and when I import it into Revit the coordinates (the degrees, minutes and seconds of the property lines) do not import to the correct location.

This is a very awkward hillside lot and I am trying to do light studies of the house on the hillside thus it is important for the angle of the property lines to be correct. In Revit 8 where I have rotated the property lines into the correct position the shadows display from left to right rather than from right to left as they should.

When I try to import the survey origin to origin - Revit says that it is to far away and uses the center to center option. Is there a way to set up the settings in Revit so that the survey will import correctly origin to origin?

I have included the survey file for anyone who might like to experiment with it.

Thanks,
Steve

Wes Macaulay
2005-10-11, 11:37 PM
When I try to import the survey origin to origin - Revit says that it is to far away and uses the center to center option. Is there a way to set up the settings in Revit so that the survey will import correctly origin to origin?The origin in the DWG is too far from the survey. Move the survey so that 0,0 is on a lot corner. Revit's coordinate system is not limited by a large coordinate system, but Windows' OpenGL display system is -- you get weird display errors when you try to force the issue.

gravelin
2005-10-12, 08:32 AM
When I try to import the survey origin to origin - Don't do that steve

open the site view
make sure to crop region off in this view
import DWG file in linked mode
place it automaticaly center to center
replace/rotate the DWG as you want
acquire coordinates from DWG (sharecoordinates tools menu)
publish coordinates to DWG

After that
you can reuse and replace the DWG file using by shared coordinates placement.
you can export dwg using shared coordinate system basis (option in save dialog boxe)
edited forgot that : You can orient the view to project/True north in View properties

Alvin_Alejandro
2005-10-12, 09:39 AM
Hi gravelin........thanks ..this is my 1st with Coordinates with ACAD..

it works when export it in Views-Floor plan it follows the coordinate of Acad, but in Views-Sheet it is rotated to Project north @ 90 degree.

The 1st image was exported in Plan View the Second image was exported in sheet view.

Is this the way it works. I think I'm asking a dumb question..coz revit use CALL OUT to rotate the view & ACAD use UCS..anyway for your information.

Wes Macaulay
2005-10-12, 03:20 PM
That's a good idea Yves -- what you're suggesting is write back the Revit coordinate system into the DWG. And like he said, Revit can't write to the DWG unless the file is linked.

steve.89614
2005-10-12, 10:09 PM
Thank you guys very much. I tried both solutions and they both work. However I still end up with the same problem which is that when I try to render the house the shadows come out back wards.

Using the shared coordinates I was able to import the survey rotate it and get the degrees, minutes and seconds of the property lines to match up. However when I go to render the house theshadows come out back wards - left to right rather than right to left as they should be.

My friend Dave, whom I met at cad camp (great resource) adjusted the survey itself to be in architectural units and with a true north angle. This solution worked out the best so far in that the survey will now import origin to origin and if I leave the survey in true north mode in Revit it renders correctly. However If I try to rotate the project to project north, which is how I would like to view it, it again renders back wards.Having imported the project in true north is there a trick to rotate it to project north with out changing the rendering settings?

Last question is could this be a rendering setting issue all together rather than a coordinate issue?

Thanks in advance

Steve Shkolnik